Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musicians helping Musicians
    Hi everybody any help extremly apppreciated

I built a pc at pcAudio Labs here's the specs:
    AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ Dual CoreSoltek SL-K8TPro motherboard2GB DDR400 2x1024MBATI Radeon 9550 256MB Dual VGA Plextor 16x Dual Layer DVD /-RW 2MB80GB EIDE (Primary Drive)Hitachi250GB RAID 1 - (2 x 250GB SATA II) (Audio Drive)Hitachi160GB SATA II (Samples)HitachiWindows XP Professional
    I will be working with Sonar 5,Acid Pro 5 (rewire them together) Reason 3.0,Antares Avox and AutoTune.

I'm a solo musician playing one instrument at a time (unless I can get ahold of some toxic ooozz that will grow me some more arms).

Will need to record Vocals,Electric guitar,Electric Bass, and use Midi for Soft-Synths.All drums will be created via Loop cd's and Reason 3.0

Any opinions either way would you go with for this situation.
    (these are things I've researched endlessly and seemed to fit my needs.
    (One of each of these is my exact price range.)

1.Mic for male singer with mid-range and kinda nasaly voice.
    (mic will be stricktly for my vocals all instruments will be direct into the audio interface)

a.Audio Technica 3035 (heard it picked up bass better)
    b.Rode NT1000(great reviews to help warm the voice)
    I know the mic won't do all the work but one of them must pick up the bass in a mid-range voice better than the other.

2.Audio Interface
    (for vocals,Guitar,Bass and Midi).
    a.Novation X-Station (with all those features in one unit the preamps must suck but if they were good I would'nt need a midi controller cuz it would be there with my audio interface.
    b.PreSonus FireBox (been kinda hard to find terrible reviews on this thing)I would need a midi controller with this one though which is fine if it's got better pre-amps than the novation.
    c.E-MU 1820M(these look nice cause effects won't burden my cpu as much for effects and Latency may be lower than the USB Novation or the Firewire Presonus.but I've heard it's very difficult to use and get used to.I'm not a tech head so I should maybe stay away from this one.)

3.Headphones
    (Only to use while tracking vocals)
    a.AKG 271Studio (Looks good)
    b.AKG 240Studio (may save me $100.00)
    c.or perhaps the gradys everyone keeps mentioning

4.Monitors
    (This would be the last piece besides a simple midi controller if the novation preamps suck.)
    a.Event TR8 Tuned Reference (looks nice)
    b.M-Audio BX8a (looks nice)
    c.Behringer Truth B2031a(most seem to agree these suck in some way or another but someone told me don't believe the hype they are used by more professionals than we think and are quite good).

It seems that musical style would matter while picking mics and monitors.I like and record
    Hard Rock,Hip-Hop,Ethnic,Symphonic,and New Age.

Harmony Central truly, truly Rules.

Comment

• Hi, guys...

I am currently attached to a Musician's Site where I post my [amateur] musical endeavors.

Now my site is offering this mastering service via a third party, a service called Online Mastering.

www.online-mastering.com

I am taught mastering is a kind of art form with a wide technical basis, so correct me if this sounds like a herd of guys doing mastering in the bulk for a coupla bucks... but without the care of a dedicated engineer.

Thanks in advance, guys.

PS: to Shangri-la.... I miss your point, dude. Do you want someone to approve on your gear choices? mmm.

Cheers everyone, Hold tight to your ponchoes 'til Spring is here.

"Theez yeer wee'r havin' two visiters affectionately callud "the children" - El nino and La nina." BOINK!
      - my Natural Siences professor (was supposed to be a nerdie joke of sorts)

Ky.
      I do not intend to rant @ my gear, it's a useless, conceited excercise... better hear the results. Probable hearing damage warning: may bother your ears, but if you must, then go http://www.soundclick.com/joeykaye

"Heavy are the mountains, But that changes with the passage of time"
      R. Ayanami

Comment

• Here are some great doc's on mastering that can be downloaded and printed.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html

Gary
        www.stylesupportmidi.com

Comment

• Originally posted by greggybud
          I would have to think it depends on your market. Creed demographics are way different than Jazz lovers. And its not the mastering engineers behind loudnes as much as the record companies. Sure, some almost get high, or make it a game to see how loud they can pump out a CD but they are just following orders.

I still dont think loud is really bad for some styles of music. It really depends on who the customer is. Has anyone ever tried to play a classical CD in a convertable on the freeway?

Brilliant...and yes I have, and won't try it again...

Comment

• ROTTEN PETER
            ROTTEN PETER
            burrrrrrpp........

Comment

• Mastering is - by and large - a load of bull!

I have always been of this opinion and I just read an article in SOS that after a LOT of time and money spent and double blind experiments were run... supported my opinion fully!

Not to say that a second set of ears ain't usefull, but they don't need to belong to some "Schiestering Engineer" with a shiv up his backside!
              "You Can Buy Better But You Can't Pay More!"

Comment

• Well: that was certainly informative and helpful.

Why don't you post some of YOUR recordings o great one and see if even some other 12 year old can't improve them with a few educated alterations.

...And call Bob Ludwig and tell him to stop peddling his snake oil.

JEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

p.s. The Earth also does revolve around the Sun.

Oh...
                Just to stay on thread...

Waves' linear multiband processor is my new favorite mastering tool.

PIMPADEUS
                need new music in your life?
                check out
                Third Stone South

Comment

• Originally posted by RedArchTop
                  Mastering is - by and large - a load of bull!

I have always been of this opinion and I just read an article in SOS that after a LOT of time and money spent and double blind experiments were run... supported my opinion fully!

Not to say that a second set of ears ain't usefull, but they don't need to belong to some "Schiestering Engineer" with a shiv up his backside!

I think someone lost their mind.
                  Monthly Podcast: http://fuzzballrecordsradio.tk/

Or Quixotic Rage myspace info here

Band web page: http://JMBess.googlepages.com/home

Studio web page:http://JMBess.googlepages.com/fuzzballrecords

Great trades with: Stazinish, Silverring233, sirkonks, Facing Failure, yuantian, simplestargazer, Juan M, jcloud, and you can check my ebay account for more!

Comment

• Yea, everone at SOS has also lost thier minds, ...... I think they get alot more recording action than you do!
                    Really .... you should see the SOS article
                    ... alot of very informed, experienced people with a bigger mastering budget than yours came up very underwhelmed once they spent the time and money to really investigate mastering..... and some of these mastering houses advertise in their pages!

Tiny difference in "tone" "eq" etc... are ephemeral and people are easily duped.
                    No doubt that mastering engineers probably believe their own rhetoric!
                    "You Can Buy Better But You Can't Pay More!"

Comment

• That still makes it far from a fact, it is still just a few opinions. Also so what if they have more business than me alone, I bet if you add the business that use mastering up it will be far more that SOS, so you cant just use that proof.

Besides what does their budget have to do with it?...nothing.

It is just about like anything with recording it is subject to opinion and preferences.

Great trades with: Stazinish, Silverring233, sirkonks, Facing Failure, yuantian, simplestargazer, Juan M, jcloud, and you can check my ebay account for more!

Comment

• By the way, you have no idea how much recording action I have. It is amazing how people just assume, now I am not saying I have more business, I just find it funny how you assume everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shangrila17

1.Mic for male singer with mid-range and kinda nasaly voice.
                          (mic will be stricktly for my vocals all instruments will be direct into the audio interface)

a.Audio Technica 3035 (heard it picked up bass better)
                          .I have heard great things with this mic, my stepfather used to have one.

3.Headphones
                          Sony MDR7506 is where its at $99 can be used for tracking and some mixing if you have to be quiet like I do sometimes

Harmony Central truly, truly Rules.

yes they do
                          President of the "I love Thumper in a Heterosexual way." Fan Club

Gear:
                          Computer=
                          PC running Cubase VST5/SB udigy2zs
                          Microphones=Sm57/panasonic electret mics/no name dynamic mic
                          FX=Korg AX1G/Boss SE50
                          Guitars=Epiphone PR350S acoustic/Danelectro DC59 electric/Cort C4 bass/Teisco Tulip bass
                          Amp=Ashdown EB130-115
                          Drums=Pearl floor tom

And the earth dies screaming while I lay dreaming....dreaming of you
                          -Tom Waits

Comment

• Originally posted by Shangrila17
                            3.Headphones
                            a.AKG 271Studio (Looks good)
                            b.AKG 240Studio (may save me $100.00)
                            c.or perhaps the gradys everyone keeps mentioning

4.Monitors
                            (This would be the last piece besides a simple midi controller if the novation preamps suck.)
                            a.Event TR8 Tuned Reference (looks nice)
                            b.M-Audio BX8a (looks nice)
                            c.Behringer Truth B2031a(most seem to agree these suck in some way or another but someone told me don't believe the hype they are used by more professionals than we think and are quite good).

Hi, I finally decided to register to these forums, though I've visited here for few years now. Anyway, in case you haven't bought yourself cans or/and monitors yet, I have recommendations...

My primary cans are AKG 271 Studio, and they're remarkable. They're the best closed cans I've ever heard (and I auditioned quite a few before settling with the purchase of these). I'd say you should definitely get them, in case you're serious about your music. The bass response of them is actually in my view quite good, though some have said it wouldn't be enough (it isn't saturated, so it delivers a natural sound, I reckon those who have said in some forums that they aren't strong enough on the bass department aren't pros). AKG delivers a beautiful yet natural tone, and one can actually mix with them as well, though open cans are usually better at mixing. I use this for tracking vocals too (keeping one can on the other ear, and the other ear uncovered, so I can hear my natural voice).

Anyway, when it comes to monitors I'd suggest buying Behringer Truth B2031A (*putting on the forceshield that protects from all the flaming*).
                            Behringer has actually made a really good sounding monitors without going too pricey. I use these everyday, and I'd say you should try them... you'll be amazed. If people would listen to all the monitors blindfolded, and had to review them by their sound, I'd say Behringer would do quite well. It's rather amazing that one doesn't always have to buy the really expensive gear to acquire good results.
                            Voice of a Soul - ...music from the heart
                            RockReviews - Music CD/DVD Reviews, Interviews, News & Blog
                            so I gave in... my personal MySpace

Comment

• mastering is a very important step in the audio production process!

if anything, at least it's another set of ears listening to your tracks before they become "etched in stone".

my 2 cents.

Jason
                              Professional Audio Mastering - done right.

www.diskfaktory-mastering.com

Comment

• There was a time when a mastering engineer was responsible for the very tricky and knowledge/experience intensive job of setting up and running a cutting lathe. In those days, last-minute fixes were an afterthought, icing on the cake. In those days, mastering was expensive because it was difficult, depended on expensive gear, and had to be done by people who knew what they were doing and had been doing it a long time.

With the advent and ascendance of the CD, the ME's primary raison d'etre was gone.

MEs were forced t either get out of the business or build a new demand for what little of their old role was left -- and "fixing it in the mastering session" went from afterthought to primary function.

I have no quarrel with those who have large budgets and feel that sending their work to a mastering house for final fairie dusting is a worthwile expenditure. And there's something to be said for hiring a great room, great gear, and a great pair of ears -- especially in situations that occur increasingly, it seems like these days, when you're trying to put together a cohesive, sonically coherent album out of a bunch of tracks that were recorded in different places, in different times, with different personnel.

But it does bother me when I see people with little money shelling out for mastering of demos that will never see release because they've been convinced that what passes for mastering these days is an absolute necessity.

Most of these folks should be putting that money (or better yet time and work) back into improving their basic product instead of trying to shine a... er, trying to silk-pursify the proverbial sow's ear -- at a cost of possibly hundreds of dollars an hour.

‚Äč
                                music and social stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X