Originally posted by ocnor
    I downloaded sound samples of the Pod xt and my sides are
    still hurting from laughing so hard. I just can't believe that
    anyone would pay good money for something that sounds
    so horrible. But I'll give you guys the benifit of the doubt and
    assume that it's just because it has crappy presets like every
    other piece of gear. So show me some links to good sounds
    made with a Pod.

I guess I'm not as offended by your comments as the other guys - you're certainly entitled to your own opinion. I own a Bogner Ecstasy 101B, a Marshall JCM2000DSL50, a Mesa Dual Rectifier, and a '65 blackface Fender Showman, all running into a Bogner 2x12 with one vintage 30 and one classic 80. I mic everything with an SM-57 into an ART TubeMP, then into my Roland VS-1680. I can get killer tones with that rig. In my opinion, the PODxt sounds pretty damned good in comparison to those amps recorded, so it was worth everything I paid for it - I don't care what anyone says. Plus, I get the added bonus of using the effects with my live rig via MIDI.

Though I have to admit, some of the sound clips from the Line6 website don't do the PODxt justice. The Van Halen clip is pretty awesome though - it captures Van Halen I pretty close, I think.

Comment

Personally, I doubt many average music listeners would know the difference of how a guitar was recorded in a mix as long as it sounds good...I guess it depends on who you're aiming the song at
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Satire is comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel.</div>

Comment

Most music listeners don't even care if it sounds good. That doesn't mean we shouldn't aim a bit higher though.

I agree, but we're talking mostly in a context of people who have home studios, one guitar amp, and the original poster himself said he only has one crappy mic! That said, I think there is no shame in using a pod xt, giving you more options for creating textures within songs.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Satire is comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel.</div>

Comment

Don't get so defensive I never meant to imply that I was better
          than anyone here. My point is that the Pod sound samples
          blow and I was hoping to hear a better example of what the
          Pod can do. I also like to record direct so I'm constantly downloading samples from the net. The best sounds that I've
          heard so far are from the Tech 21 PSA-1. The V-Amp also sounds
          pretty decent on the samples. To my ears both of these units
          sound way better than the Pod. Do what I did and download
          samples from each of the sites and compare them side by side.

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Jerry_Ronco/

Comment

I think so much of this argument is subjective. No one can tell you if a pod sounds better then an amp... they can only tell you if it sounds better to them... Some people swear by mesa rectos while others only swear at them. Tone is so subjective its almost pointless to argue about it.

Comment

A Pod is ofcourse easier,... but are we talking here about soundquality or easy recording. Micing a cab and recording with a very good micpre (Telefunken, API, Greatriver...) definitly beats a Pod.
              So a Pod is nice when you ain't got no money or an isolated room, but's thats all.

Do you really think that a top engineer will use a Pod because it's so easy to setup.......... please!!!!

Indie.

Comment

Ryant. . . .Your original question was which way do you guys prefer, POD or mic'd amp. I prefer to mic an amp. That's just me. If you enjoy the sound you're getting with your POD, then rock on.

My brother's got a VS2480 and a POD and I've tried it out. It didn't float my boat, but then again, I didn't really like the whole signal chain.

On the other hand, I mic with a shure SM57 into either a Great River mic pre or RNP and it sounds great. But first, you've got to get a great sound in the room and the guitar/amp combination has to sit good in the mix before the whole thing starts to come together.

By the way, I've found the POD does sound best on clean sounds. For that alone, it's probably a good investment. I've also found it's shortcomings greatest on distorted sounds, like Classic rock (Vox and Matchless) or Modern Rock (Rectifier) settings. The problem with getting a good sound on modern high gain music is that you've got to have the whole thing going in your favor to get a good sound. . .Great guitar/player/amp into a good mic/good pre-amp/good AD/DA converter, etc., etc. If you've got great gear, then you'll get a great sound mic'ing the amp. If you've got less than great gear, it's not impossible to get a good sound, it just takes tweaking your gear more. With high quality gear I find it's more plug and play. With lower quality gear I find you've got to fool with mic placement more, eq and guitar/amp tweaking.

Good luck!
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Rusty<br />
                <br />
                Junior Member. . .what's this B.S. I lost over 1200 other posts!<br />
                <br />
                </div>

Comment

what kills me is most dont even know what a killer tone or sound is on tape they just dismiss the pod and other emulators. its all about the mic-placement- and room. if you really want to try something run a pod into a effects loop on a guitar amp( so its clean and not using the amps pre-amp) or mic a p.a. cabinet and youll end up with something in the ball park as throwing a 57 into a marshall. a lively sound that isint too generic and has realism to it because of the air being pushed thats all there is to it! you could even mic a brand x amp and make it work with the right front end tools. the pod is a great tool especially when laying down original tracks because if you dont have seperate rooms you can do away with the bleed through of an amp in the same room as the drummer.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">I KNOW EVERYTHING JUST ASK ME</div>

Comment

I had a big rant to reply with, but I deleted it because it really boils down to one simple thing -

If you have a place to record where you can crank up a big loud tube amp, get a good mic in front of it with a good pre and mess with positioning until you get a good sound ON TAPE (or HDD), you will ultimately get more appropriate results for a given song than you could with a modeler, given sufficient time.

I have recorded amps like this. There's nothing cooler than being able to swap between a dynamic and a condensor and grab two completely complementary tones for a L/R stereo pair.

Now I live in an apartment. And there's nothing cooler than being able to spin a knob and get two completely complementary tones for a L/R stereo pair, all without getting evicted.

If you've got the money to track down 3 or 4 great-sounding tube amps, with cabinets, and deal with maintenance etc., more power to ya (how much is a Chieftain going for these days?). Until then, my $350 PODxt is my best recording buddy in the world!

Comment

Working...
                    X