X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD XT vs Amp wit mic

Do you guys prefer a pod xt or a mic ed amp for recording guitar? i personally find the pod xt much easier,,,, i have used a ****************ty mic to mic my amp and it sounded almost identical to a clean sound i can get out of my pod,,, so basicly i prefer the Pod XT.... but i hear that micing a good amp is the best way to go for good recordings, what do you guys think?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Guitars:<br />
    - Custom Build Mosrite-like<br />
    - Custom Build Strat-like<br />
    - Custom Build Warmoth-VIP<br />
    - 1989 Carvin DC135<br />
    - Godin Icon Type 2 Fat Black<br />
    - Ibanez AF95<br />
    - Larivee LV-03R<br />
    - Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood SG<br />
    - Martin C1K Uke</font></div>

If you have a good player, good sounding guitar and amp, you most of the time get a decent guitar recording. I have a pod 2.0 and rarely use it for recording, i always mic up an amp. You just got to work with mic positioning and first the sound from the amp. I've gotten really good results micing up my peavey classic 30 with a studio projects B1 through a studio projects vtb1 mic pre. This is all inexspensive equipment and i've gotten good sounds from this setup. I think a good sounding tube amp will always sound better than a amp simulator, there getting close but not there yet. If your not getting a good sound from your amp then it won't record well. **************** in = **************** out.

Comment

I use the POD XT as well. It's just easier for my needs. I suppose as I get more 'sophisticated' from a guitar standpoint, I would look into micing an amp - but that means I would need to buy a better amp and the right mic, make sure I had a proper recording space, futz around finding the right mic placement, etc.. It's nice being able to 'dial in' various simulated amps for different sounds!

Remember the key formula:

SimulatedSound = SoundBeingSimulated - EffectOfSimulation

Some say the EffectOfSimulation is pretty small, some say it's unacceptably large - ony you can judge for your needs. I'm relatively unsophisticated so my XT sounds pretty good to me (plus, to be frank, guitar is NOT the mainstay in my mixes - it plays a support role so it's probably not quite as important).
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Jeff<br />
      <font size="1">More about me and my music: <a href="http://www.JeffOestreichMusic.com" target="_blank">JeffOestreichMusic.com</a></font></div>

Comment

I've been using my PODxt as well. For several reasons. For one, it's a lot more convenient than mic'ing my cabinet. I've been getting tones that I think are killer. I also record in a 9'x12' room, so I have to play REALLY loud in order to drown out the string noise.

Having said that, if I had the luxury, I would love to record my amps, because I have 4 KILLER heads that are dying to be recorded. Still, three of them get live use, so it's not SUCH as waste.......

Comment

Yup... I've seen this kinda debate before... I think this is the bottom line: A Pod cannot reproduce the sound of a guitar amp EXACTLY. If you put an excellent mic up to a beautiful warm VOX amp, you won't get the same sound out of a POD. That being said, a POD is cheaper and does a LOT of cool stuff. Does it sound bad? Of course not! The newer models keep getting better and better and can make some excellent sounds. People who stick to miking amps shouldn't shun all people who use PODs, and people with PODs shouldn't try to convince themselves, and everyone else, that it is the exact same thing as a real amp.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">www.brightsideband.com< br />
          Cinematic indie rock from the banks of the Fox River<br />
          <br />
          Some of my recording projects:<br />
          <br />
          www.caitmusic.com<br />
          <br />
          www.johnstatz.com</div>

Comment

it just depends on the situation....

for most of my main tracks, I'll use one of my tube amps. I use my Podxt a lot also though. It's really easy to get good to great sounds out of. And the option of
            sounds is amazing. I liked my 2.0, but I love the XT. so much better.

I'm glad I have the option to use both.

bford
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/thefavoritesmusic" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/thefavoritesmusic</a><br />
            <a href="http://www.thefavoritesrock.com" target="_blank">www.thefavoritesrock.com</a><br />
            <br />
            <br />
            Life is short play a great amp.<br />
            mmmmm.....budda.........aaagghhh</div>

Comment

The Pod 2.0 sure beats my 15watt gorilla amp.
              It's a financial question, as I see it. I mean for 250 bucks you can get a pod 2.0. Can you get an amp and mic for $250 that will give you as good a sound. Probably. Will it also include some nice digital fx, the ability to record in silence, the ability to save patches, and a wide variety of tones? No. But if you just need one great sounding tone, get an amp.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><a href="http://www.lovelabormusic.com" target="_blank">Homebrew CD reviews at LoveLaborMusic.com</a></b><font size="1"><br />
              <a href="http://www.alandmoore.com/lc" target="_blank">My musical adventures</a><br />
              <a href="http://www.alandmoore.com/ramblings/TheoryOfDP.htm" target="_blank">The Drum Programming tutorial</a><br />
              <a href="http://www.alandmoore.com/cleancloset" target="_blank">Stuff for sale/trade</a></font></div>

Comment

I downloaded sound samples of the Pod xt and my sides are
                still hurting from laughing so hard. I just can't believe that
                anyone would pay good money for something that sounds
                so horrible. But I'll give you guys the benifit of the doubt and
                assume that it's just because it has crappy presets like every
                other piece of gear. So show me some links to good sounds
                made with a Pod.

Comment

I use a miccombo for recording. Had a pod when they came out and it was a cool toy but it did not track well past getting ideas. I sold it. Peter
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Stupidity in of itself is a fine art.</div>

Comment

so horrible.

The only real way to find out if the Pod (or any such device) would work for you would be to try it out. Who knows, maybe the guitar, or the settings, or even the style on the online samples contributed more to your reaction than the Pod itself. You may well be able to dial in an acceptable sound with your guitar yourself.

I don't know of any tracks or sounds in particular, but I think the fact that purists such as Lenny Kravitz and The Offspring have used Amp Farm (basically a plugin version of the older Pod) on their albums when they could obviously use whatever they want says something for it. We've all probably heard it used a lot more than we realize...

-Duardo

Comment

I think the POD is way too expensive for what it does and it costs as much as a decent tube amp, like the Peavey Classic 30 for example.
                      I have the old POD and it gathers dust as I use a basic amp/mic setup and direct x / outboard effects while recording guitar, so for me it was a huge waste of time and the sounds were never 100% there.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">======================= =<br />
                      <br />
                      <a href="http://www.descentintomadness.com" target="_blank">http://www.descentintomadness.com</a><br />
                      </div>

Comment

You say that Lenny Kravits and The Offspring use Pods for
                        their sound? That pretty much reinforces my statement that
                        Pods sound horrible.

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Jerry_Ronco/

Comment

I'd rather and usually do mic an amp, but I do use a Pod sometimes (and a Pod 2.0 at that). I mean I use it for keeper tracks, not just for jotting ideas.

All the modelers I've heard sound much much better when the rest of the signal chain is very good. There are ways to make something like the Pod sound a lot better... running a Pod into a Mackie or an Audiobuddy really isn't one of them. Once you start running a Pod through things like an RNP, Grace or something even better than that, you'll start having a different opinion of its usefulness.

Comment

Originally posted by ocnor
                            so horrible. But I'll give you guys the benifit of the doubt and
                            assume that it's just because it has crappy presets like every
                            other piece of gear. So show me some links to good sounds
                            made with a Pod.

LOL - wow - I will bow to the majesty of your better-than-the-rest-of-us comment!
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Jeff<br />
                            <font size="1">More about me and my music: <a href="http://www.JeffOestreichMusic.com" target="_blank">JeffOestreichMusic.com</a></font></div>

Comment

I think it just boils down to what end result you're trying to achieve. I tried a POD for a week or so but didn't like its sound compared to micing an amp, so I got rid of the POD. On the other hand, I'm not trying to produce music that would fit into the "modern rock" vein (Lenny Kravitz and The Offspring, to use Duardo's example). I also do not digitally correct out of tune vocals or loosely played drum beats.

-Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X