X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Mixdown in Cubase SX

I've got my tracks recorded (16) for my friend's demo. I'm looking at my book and it says I should go to Export-> Audio Mixdown and save it as a .wav so i can burn it to CD. I do this, but then the CD plays a track of 3:14 of silence. What am I missing?

Sounds like the markers at the top of the work screen aren't set right, or you have channels muted? Hard to tell with that little explanation.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">www.fogministries.com<b r />
    <br />
    They're all colors in a crayon box. - TAS<br />
    <br />
    There's nothing sadder than a non-conformist conforming to the standards of non-conformity. - Switch<br />
    <br />
    The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step. -Confusious<br />
    The trip of 1,000 miles begins with one misstep. -Me<br />
    <br />
    </div>

Comment

try playing just the wav file off your computer, its probally what FOG said, but it might just be your cd burn messing up
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Guitars:<br />
      - Custom Build Mosrite-like<br />
      - Custom Build Strat-like<br />
      - Custom Build Warmoth-VIP<br />
      - 1989 Carvin DC135<br />
      - Godin Icon Type 2 Fat Black<br />
      - Ibanez AF95<br />
      - Larivee LV-03R<br />
      - Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood SG<br />
      - Martin C1K Uke</font></div>

Comment

Yes - make sure you have set the stop & start marker (same as for loop playback). Then - most important - make sure you have selected 16-bit, 44.1kHz and stereo interleaved. Export Audio works brilliantly for me in SX. You can also use this function to convert VST instrument tracks into audio - just solo them, export them and then import them into a new audio track. This can be handy if you are maxing out your CPU.

Comment

These tracks you've recorded are audio right? If you mean midi tracks, you'll have to record them as audio first ...

Comment

sometimes when I do this it comes up with an error message and fails to export, does anyone know whwt this is about?

Comment

well duh - why don't you read the error message ...

Comment

reading the error messages usually help
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Guitars:<br />
                - Custom Build Mosrite-like<br />
                - Custom Build Strat-like<br />
                - Custom Build Warmoth-VIP<br />
                - 1989 Carvin DC135<br />
                - Godin Icon Type 2 Fat Black<br />
                - Ibanez AF95<br />
                - Larivee LV-03R<br />
                - Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood SG<br />
                - Martin C1K Uke</font></div>

Comment

Thanks for your excellent insight. I'd never thought of reading the error message. Geniuses!

fyi. it just says something like 'error exporting file'

Comment

i got the same error message a couple times, then it went away

anyway, i'll continue trying to figure out the mixdown thing.

Comment

Garbage in = garbage out. Meaning - if you want to get a useful answer out of a forum like this, you need to give useful information. You still haven't said whether you are trying to export midi tracks as audio ... are you? This is the most basic mistake that most people make when learning. I think the Cubase SX implemention of audio export is the best i've ever seen - you still need to know what you are doing, but everything is right there in the logical place.

If you are trying to turn midi tracks into audio, let us know.

Comment

it's done it with and without vst instruments/MIDI tracks. so it's not that. it must be something i've done that it doesn't like because if i revert back to previous saves it'll export properly. But, as I said, the error message doesn't tell you why....

Comment

OK OK...

They're all audio tracks. My "studio" right now is actaully at a friends basement, so i haven't been able to try the suggestions yet. I apologize for the vagueness. Is there anything else you need to know?

Thanks,
                          Alex

Comment

well, i double checked the markers, and they're set. so now i dunno what to do? I've got the bitrate and samplerate set.

Thanks,
                            Alex

Comment

Check the amount of HD space you have. Because that error pops up when you don't have enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X