Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

DBX 900 Series racks + modules opinions??????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DBX 900 Series racks + modules opinions??????

what do you guys think of these things? Are any of them useful? I mean, they're probably useful, but do they sound any good?

The 902 "de-esser" is bloody awsome... the 903 "compressor" [IMNTLBFHO] is a total and complete piece of ****************. The 904 "expander/gate" is OK... the 933 "mixer/DA" is OK, the 941 'single ended noise reduction' is sometimes interesting... other times annoying.

I forget the number for the 'flanger unit'... but that thing was actually rather cool at times.

I guess the real question is: "with which modules?... for what purposes?"
    CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
    We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

I am probably going to use it for the de-essers and I've been looking at the eq as well.
      I'm going to use it for recording (not live sound), and I'm trying to set up a way to have a little more options available when mixing instead of having to bounce everything. Should I buy into it? should I save my $$$? Help me out.

Comment

I'm mulling over how high I want to bid on a rack with several of the 905 parametric EQs (and one gate). Any opinions? I really would like to get my hands on some decent fully-parametric EQs, although probably my most functional choice is just a dual 31-band graphic of decent quality.

No specs on the dbx website.
        "I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile"

Comment

Bump!

Actually I found specs, and they're pretty good. Still, some kind of opinion would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Fletcher@mercenary.com
            The 902 "de-esser" is bloody awsome... the 903 "compressor" [IMNTLBFHO] is a total and complete piece of ****************. The 904 "expander/gate" is OK... the 933 "mixer/DA" is OK, the 941 'single ended noise reduction' is sometimes interesting... other times annoying.

i'd have to agree with fletcher, at the studio i work at the only things in our 900 rack that gets use are the de-esser's. the comp definitely sucks, the gate is (as fletcher said) ok, the eq can be occasionally useful, but if you got others you'd use them.
            "When I say be skeptical of everything I mean it. Just because someone was elected to do a job doesn't mean that person has any idea of what they're doing."- Sen. Bob Kerry

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --Hunter S. Thompson

"Never rock the mic with the pantyhose"-MCA

Comment

Hmmm... still no really solid discussion.

Functionally a few of these EQ modules looks perfect for me. I've usually only got a small number of channels where I want more flexible EQ, and at that point I only want a couple bands of parametric instead of the usual 5 bands you get with other units. So a rack of six EQs on inserts would be great. Since I do live sound mostly I'd be able to do a nice tight feedback notch (say if there's a quiet instrument feeding back) and also a really wide, gentle boost for sound shaping. Generally non-huge-board-EQ sections are either too narrow or not narrow enough, even if there's a Q switch. And not even the Midas Venice has a variable low-cut, which I've found to be incredibly useful.

Oh well. I've come up with a price I'd be willing to pay, so I'll bid up to that price.

Comment

Working...
              X