X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Alternatives

Hey -

My bassist and I have been trying to get real basic versions of our co-written songs down onto CD. I have all the recording equipment, a Gateway 300 with a 1ghz Celeron, 256mb RAM, and a 60 gig HD. I'm using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.2.

We have the vocal, guitar, and bass recording technique figured out, but the drums are tough. Neither of us are drummers, and I don't have the mics to record them, so we just (hurts to say this) use a keyboard...just hit the kicksnare keys and then overdub the hihats.

Obviously, it's not very efficient or accurate. What other options do we have for getting a decent drum track down? Cakewalk comes with some MIDI ones, but it's a pain to convert those to audio. I've heard about something called Acid, but never used it before.

Thanks for your help,
    Andy
    www.blindside-photo.com

I've been looking for a way to drums for a long time also. I finally did exactly what your talking about with the kick and snare thing on the keyboard then overdubbing the ride and hi hat. It actually worked really great. I just had to pull each note back to the correct point since timing is hard to do with my midi controller. For fills and stuff like that i just went in and punched in the extra snare or tom sounds that i wanted with a pencil tool. By the way I'm using Pro Tools LE. If you want to check out the finished product listen to the song Clowns at:

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Evenmark/

Comment

I use an SPD-20 rigged with triggers in a somewhat drum-kit style setup. It works great for me, in that I can program drums with a much better feel and groove, and speeds up the programming process substantially. This set-up is also very portable for mobile applications where it'll do.

All pads are dual zone, so that you can cross-fade two sounds per pad. In "drumkit" mode, the top row on the SPD-20 is for cymbals and ride... bottom row are usually tom-toms.

I use DFH and Akai samples triggered through Native Instruments Battery. I just added another Tama kick pedal/trigger so that I can nail db-bass parts in real-time.

Bowisc
      Bowisc

Comment

Hey, my church has one of those! I'll ask to borrow it. They currently use a set of V-drums.
        www.blindside-photo.com

Comment

Nice setup Bowisc! I'm just using a SPD-6, which is a little restrictive but cheap and better than using a keyboard. A V-drum set would be nice, but i't would take up a lot more space and a lot more cash.

Comment

Originally posted by bowisc
            I use an SPD-20 rigged with triggers in a somewhat drum-kit style setup. It works great for me, in that I can program drums with a much better feel and groove, and speeds up the programming process substantially. This set-up is also very portable for mobile applications where it'll do.

All pads are dual zone, so that you can cross-fade two sounds per pad. In "drumkit" mode, the top row on the SPD-20 is for cymbals and ride... bottom row are usually tom-toms.

I use DFH and Akai samples triggered through Native Instruments Battery. I just added another Tama kick pedal/trigger so that I can nail db-bass parts in real-time.

Bowisc

Great setup! That looks cool. I assume you're primarily a guitar player or bassist, and use this as a drummer substitute?
            Court Jester of the Ibanez Wizards
            Mesa/Boogie Mob

Guitars:

Ibanez JS2000
            Ibanez RG421 w/ Dimarzio TZ+AN
            Ibanez SC420
            Fender MIM Strat with built-in Roland GK3
            Seagull S6

Rig:
            '94 Mesa DC-5 combo
            Palmer PDI-09
            L6 Echo Park
            Boss chorus
            Boss SD-1
            AmpKit+ for iPad
            Roland GI-20 MIDI converter

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris20

Great setup! That looks cool. I assume you're primarily a guitar player or bassist, and use this as a drummer substitute?

Thanks.
              Drums is my second instrument.

For practice or to record a real kit, I use the GMS or Yamaha kits at the church. We also have a 48-track studio, so I'll normally do acoustic drums there and dump them into Cubase on my rig.

Bowisc
              Bowisc

Comment

couldnt you get something like fruity loops and use that, i use it and its ok if you get some better samples.

Comment

bowisc,

Your E-drum setup looks like fun.

Hey, I just plugged one of those SPD-20's into a 770 drum machine with a midi cable... and it works, but how do I program or assign the drum machine sounds to the pads on the SPD-20? I want to reverse the kick and snare pads... I want the snare on the lower left pad and the kick on the pad next to it on the right. I can't find the manuals... any ieda? Thanks

PS... I'm using my hands... the SPD-20 pads are a little small for sticks IMO.

Comment

If you are looking for realistic drum samples you might want to take a look at Gigastudio. This software might be the only one realistic enough... www.nemesysmusic.com/index.php

Comment

I don't have time to do much writing these days... but... for doing 'writing demos' a cardboard box played with a pair of brushes [or a pair of 'chopsticks'... and sometimes one of each] has been a pretty decent tool.

I'll never have it together to play drums worth a damn... but with a little practice [and a metronome] I've been able to lay down something that was adequate for the task at hand.
                      CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
                      We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

A buddy of mine in college had a few interesting techniques that I've always enjoyed......

1. Take an acoustic guitar. Lay it strings down on your lap. Play the back in a precussive manner with your hands or, if you're daring, a pair of chicken breasts (boneless).

2. Two chopsticks and a stove top. You can figure out where to go from there.

3. Lay on your back. Breathe in deeply and begin to beat your abdomen in a percussive, yet only slightly painful manner.

4. Turn to other forms of percussion. IE, ice in a glass, a pill bottle, etc.
                        Punk in Drublic

Comment

Check out Steinberg's Groove Agent... it's a vst drum machine, basically.

You choose the style of music and the complexity of the beat, and it plays. You can also mute the sounds you don't want... like that darn tamborine.

It can output midi so you can change the samples and modify the actual beat afterwards.

chuudoku

Comment

Originally posted by 120 dB
                            A buddy of mine in college had a few interesting techniques that I've always enjoyed......

1. Take an acoustic guitar. Lay it strings down on your lap. Play the back in a precussive manner with your hands or, if you're daring, a pair of chicken breasts (boneless).
                            a - remove rings from fingers before playing.
                            b - keep chicken breasts away from *MY* guitar.

2. Two chopsticks and a stove top. You can figure out where to go from there.
                            a - spring for real drumsticks: cheap enough, vastly more satisfying than chopsticks.

3. Lay on your back. Breathe in deeply and begin to beat your abdomen in a percussive, yet only slightly painful manner.
                            a - stand w/ feet apart, knees bent slightly; slap hands against body rhythmically, using both sides of hands; apply to thighs, belly, ribs & chest; add in feet, claps, etc. (This used to be known as 'the hambone' - ie, the body as percussion instrument).

4. Turn to other forms of percussion. IE, ice in a glass, a pill bottle, etc.
                            a - rent STOMP!
                            b - watch STOMP!
                            c - buy STOMP!

(ooops - sorry for responding to an old thread!)
                            "If you don't know, DON'T MESS WITH IT!"

Proud Member of The Epiphone Empire:
                            - LP Classic (red quilt)
                            - LP Studio (tobacco-burst)
                            - Valve Special

- Vox AD15vt
                            --------------
                            ...that's it

Comment

If u wanna use midi i advice u to use Battery, and studio drums (also native instruments) samples or Drumkit from Hell samples

Comment

Working...
                              X