• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fletcher@mercenary.com
    the mic pre's suck.
    Originally posted by rafterio
    The mic pre's do not "blow" or "suck".
    now i'm flummoxed.

Comment

If you're flummoxed because two people's opinions on the subjective quality of a preamp disagree...prepare to be flummoxed many more times throughout your life.

Of course, it would be less flummoxing if you took Fletcher's quote in context instead of just quoting a single sentence fragment. But you know that already.

Comment

Originally posted by Duardo
        If you're flummoxed because two people's opinions on the subjective quality of a preamp disagree...prepare to be flummoxed many more times throughout your life.

Of course, it would be less flummoxing if you took Fletcher's quote in context instead of just quoting a single sentence fragment. But you know that already.

... the mic pre's suck.

They're certainly up there with **************** like the Presonus and the Focusrite... they just don't measure up to a "real" pre-amp.

. There is also an "issue" with pushing the pre to extreme gain settings.

Comment

How about the pots? Any comments on 'em?
          Bowisc

Comment

I thought the pre was kinda bland and unexciting...

Sorry about the lack of comprehension and context. I didn't realize that these statements meant that I should really be excited about the pres and rush out and buy them. LOL.

Comment

I don't see anybody whining. Someone asked about the unit after quite a lapse of time and I simply responded that there wasn't much talk about it on the forums I visit ( like this one )since Fletcher's review. And there hasn't been. Just fact. I think most here are men so I don't think anybody's going to weep too much.

Comment

Fletcher's posts may seem abrasive to some, what with all the "****************" "****************" and "suck" comments, but you just have to read through that....personally, I enjoy reading his posts....they have lots of character!

I must also say that it's refreshing to see a retailer giving his honest opinion rather than a complete load of BS in order to make a sale. I work in golf retail and you get sick of all the nonsense BS that sales reps give you. Most of our customers are regulars and they already have the marketing lines memorized. They come to us to get "honest" opinions because they know we try all the stuff...I'll tell someone if I think a golf club sucks, and then sell them something good that I know they'll be satisfied with.

Everyone must look at his comments from a perspective...he gets to try anything and everything, mostly gear that we'll never see. So when he says something "sucks", it's all relative. I have a Sytek MPX-4A which I and my friends think sounds amazing (and compared to the Audiobuddy I used before, it is!). Fletcher would probably use it as a doorstop. That's perspective...
                "That's a matter of opinion. Like "a supermodel is less attractive than a sore-infested, poo-covered morbidly obese bald chick" is a matter of opinion."
                - Audacity Works

"Ain't nobody ever walked down the street humming the sound of a microphone... it's all about 'the music'."
                -Fletcher

Comment

I don't know if it will help, but Oceanway Nashville just got an ATC-2, so I am sure I will be getting some comments soon and will be happy to post them here...Good or bad.

Also, the December Sound On Sound in the UK will have the first review of the ATC-2. Six more units are out for review so more opinions will be coming.

People must be liking them...We sold over 95 units in the USA in the last 90 days. Not bad for a new unit with no real reviews yet.

I understand everyone's concerns, but hang in there. More reviews are coming.
                  Alan Hyatt
                  PMI Audio Group
                  Joemeek Studio Projects Toft Audio Designs Valley Audio
                  toll free:877-563-6335
                  e-mail: alan@pmiaudio.com
                  url: www.pmiaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lindsey
                    I thought the pre was kinda bland and unexciting...

Sorry about the lack of comprehension and context. I didn't realize that these statements meant that I should really be excited about the pres and rush out and buy them. LOL.

Was there a part of "the equalizers alone are worth the price of admission" you didn't quite understand?

WTF?
                    CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
                    We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

Fletcher, everyone does not live in your context and many of those who don't are quite surely as capable of understanding language as yourself. Had I been looking for some really good inexpensive equalizers and was going to get some ok but bland, unexciting pres that were along the same order of _ _ _ _ as Presonus..etc (hopefully that you could bypass), and some fair compressors to boot, I would have already ordered the Toft. But I was looking for good preamps.... preamps that get the sort of reviews that the RNP got and continues to get. And since the RNP is $238 per channel, I know that it's possible for others to make the same or better at a comparable price. When the same person thumbs up one piece and then thumbs down another ( <<<<< the preamp, my context ) and when that person's opinions generally carry some weight in a certain sphere, then what I've said is not really that hard to understand. Any thinking person can discern the correlation. I don't see many people on these forums (again, in my context) discussing the attributes of different kinds of equalizers and which they're going to buy next, but I do see a lot of interest in and talk about preamp purchases. Hence, a proportional lack of interest, at least to date.

Comment

Ok, there is a new review up now by Len Davies. Len is a well known production engineer in the UK, and he has been a long time contributor to many magazines by writing reviews. He just did the one on the ATC-2 for Audio Media, and then SOS will be out next week.

Fletcher has very high expectations on mic amps based on what he uses. In the end Fletcher said the mic amps were good. Hey sucked means good by his standards...If he said its crap, then I would worry about it!

In either case, you will see a contrast of Len's opinions, and for the record...I do not advertise in Audio Media!!!!

Here is the link ATC-2 Review Click Here
                        Alan Hyatt
                        PMI Audio Group

Comment

i had a demo unit for over a week and did some fairly extensive testing...

the eq and the compressor on these things are more than worth the price of admission alone. the eq does take a bit of getting used to but even fairly extensive boosting doesn't introduce alot of the nastiness you'd get from more expensive eq's.
                          the compressor is now one of my fav's on overheads. it does a great job as an obvious 'effect' compressor (if you owned one of these and an rnc you'd be laughing)

the preamp is good. it'd be good if it was a stereo pre at the street price this unit goes for. i think what you're hearing from people is some dissapointment that the pre isn't the same type
                          of 'pleasent suprise' that the eq/comp is. it's doesn't suck just not as 'wow' for the price.

I compared this with what I have in the studio. summit mpc100a, millenia hv3, ua 6176 and the pres in my tac scorpion console. it compares favourable with the TAC and gets creamed by the rest but at that price you can't argue. if it was the only pre you had above a mackie or whatever you'd be happy and if you owned a few good channels (like me) you'd love to have it around for when all your money pres are taken up.

Hey alan...howya doin?

Comment

Thanks for that. I am doing fine.. I am also glad you like the ATC-2. We have sold quite a bit and the reports so far have been excellent.

I think it is just a matter of time before everyone decides to jump on the Toft bandwagon, but I do understand the apprehension right now as it is still very new. Then by end of the 1st quarter of 2004, we will have the other three models out as well.

So thanks for your input. I think we will see more really good reviews as well. It is hard to avoid a product by Malcolm Toft. He is a ledgend like Rupert...
                            Alan Hyatt
                            PMI Audio Group

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lindsey
                              And since the RNP is $238 per channel, I know that it's possible for others to make the same or better at a comparable price.

What on earth could get you to know that?

Very plainly, Mark McQuilken has very few rivals in the world of design... damn few rivals. He has come up with stuff that mere mortals such as myself fail to comprehend... for $237.50 [+ shipping]/channel.

There are designers I know who are on Mark's level in terms of design... but their stuff starts at about $1,000/channel... there are folks that can design pre's for $237.50/channel... but with nothing comparable to the audio quality you can get from the FMR piece...

It's some pretty advanced **************** in there... it ain't a chip and a couple of transistors [and if it is... it's implemented better than I've ever heard it implemented before].

Then again... who knows, it might not be your cup of tea... in which case... you might think it sucks.
                              CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
                              We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

The Sytek gets reviews that rival those for the RNP all over the place for $200 per channel. Of course, I know that those are all just opinions too but us bottom feeders rely fairly heavily on the opinions of others ( like yourself.) I've got a feeling they're pretty good for the money. Probably not as good as a Crane Song or a John Hardy, but pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X