X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alanhyatt

This is quizi parametric... The bands are Peaked, not shelved..

Indeed. But what is the bandwidth of the boost/cut? I assume it varies with frequency?

(just tell me to shut up if I'm missing something terribly obvious here )
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Spawn of Sock, Son of Spock</div>

Comment

Well if it's like the Trident 80 series... it doesn't vary... but seems like it gets "tighter" depending on how much boost or cut you apply.

80 series equalizers took a while to get used to... but when you were familiar with them, you could really get them to shine.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="White">.</font><br />
      <font size="3"><b>CN Fletcher</b></font><br />
      <br />
      <u>Professional affiliations</u>:<br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://repforums.prosoundweb.com" target="_blank"><b>R/E/P</b></a> -- professional <b>R</b>ecording <b>E</b>ngineer and <b>P</b>roducer forums... serious hobbyists welcome<br />
      <br />
      <font size="1"><b>mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33</b><br />
      We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid<br />
      <br />
      &quot;I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.&quot; -A. Whitney Brown</font></div>

Comment

Fletcher, let us know what you think about the ATC-2....

Bowisc
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Bowisc</b></div>

Comment

It just came in today... not sure when we'll get to playing with it... but I'll let you know what comes of it.
          <br />
          <br />
          <a href="http://repforums.prosoundweb.com" target="_blank"><b>R/E/P</b></a> -- professional <b>R</b>ecording <b>E</b>ngineer and <b>P</b>roducer forums... serious hobbyists welcome<br />
          <br />
          <br />
          &quot;I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.&quot; -A. Whitney Brown</font></div>

Comment

Hey Alan,

Any Chance of you getting together with Korby and making a the Korby Convertible affordible? A mic like this that is able to change to all the classics on the fly at a descent price ($5400 OUCH!!) would be a godsend...

Also waiting for fletchers opinion on the Toft Pre... what I don't understand though is I thought Fletcher tests everything before he agrees to sell it... and it seems he has agreed to sell this without testing it first... confused...also what catagory do you put the pre section on this thing? Is it neve like? grace like? what is the closest pre to compare it too? It sounds like the pre section might be it's weakest selling point ( I just mean next to the trident eq and 1176 like compressor)

Thanks!

Comment

Well, Fletcher is testing it. I hope he finds everything acceptable. If not, I am sure I will hear about it, and if he does like it, then, and only then will he agree to come on board.

I made an assumption ahead of time, and I am sorry. I think I was so excited about his getting one that based on Malcolm Toft's history alone, I was sure he would like it, but until he speaks, it all rests with him.

I am sure he will let all of us know, and I am sorry for jumping the gun.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Alan Hyatt<br />
              PMI Audio Group<br />
              Joemeek Studio Projects Toft Audio Designs Valley Audio<br />
              toll free:877-563-6335 <br />
              e-mail: <a href="mailto:alan@pmiaudio.com">alan@pmiaudio.com</a><br />
              url: <a href="http://www.pmiaudio.com" target="_blank">www.pmiaudio.com</a></div>

Comment

COrrect me if I'm wrong, but WHY for God's sake AREN'T there any phase reversal switches on a 2-CHANNEL mic pre/channestrip?

Or is Malcolm the type of guy that figures "I don't need no stinking switches, you just hafta make sure yer mic-placement is right!"
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://members.lycos.nl/movingneedles/index.html" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">M</font><font color="orangered">o</font><font color="orange">v</font><font color="limegreen">i</font><font color="seagreen">n</font><font color="royalblue">g</font><font color="red">N</font><font color="orangered">e</font><font color="orange">e</font><font color="limegreen">d</font><font color="seagreen">l</font><font color="royalblue">e</font><font color="blue">s</font></b> Recording Studio</a><br />
                <br />
                <font size="1"><i><b><font color="deeppink">Looking for:</font></b></i> <br />
                -MXR Envelope Filter &amp; Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)<br />
                <br />
                <b>For sale:<br />
                -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual</b>; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!</font></div>

Comment

No reason to be sorry I was just curious... oh and Alan ignored my question about working with Korby to make an affordible Korby convertible... So I will just assume that he and Korby are secretly working together to come out with higher production version for under 2 Grand

Comment

Originally posted by alanhyatt

The AFC-2 which is 4 band sweep EQ and Mic Amp only is 60 to 75 days out from shipping, as is the EC1 and DC2

Great !! Can't Wait !!

What's a EC1 and a DC2 ??

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by etherize
                      No reason to be sorry I was just curious... oh and Alan ignored my question about working with Korby to make an affordible Korby convertible... So I will just assume that he and Korby are secretly working together to come out with higher production version for under 2 Grand

We are working on something, but not with Korby
                      PMI Audio Group<br />
                      url: <a href="http://www.pmiaudio.com" target="_blank">www.pmiaudio.com</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by garageman

Great !! Can't Wait !!

What's a EC1 and a DC2 ??

Thanks in advance

Go to the site www.toftaudio.com

the quick answer is the EC-1 is a mono channel Mic amp 4 band EQ mono compressor, and the DC2 is a dual channel stereo compressor
                        PMI Audio Group<br />

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon
                          COrrect me if I'm wrong, but WHY for God's sake AREN'T there any phase reversal switches on a 2-CHANNEL mic pre/channestrip?

Or is Malcolm the type of guy that figures "I don't need no stinking switches, you just hafta make sure yer mic-placement is right!"

Well, the first answer is there was no room...The second answer is Malcolm don't need no stinkin reverse switch... Only kidding!

Less is more.
                          PMI Audio Group<br />

Comment

A mic like this that is able to change to all the classics on the fly at a descent price ($5400 OUCH!!) would be a godsend...

Don't be a putz... it may be what it is, and you may like that... but saying that something can be everything is generally a tip off that it ain't anything. While I haven't heard this particular unit... I have heard some of the other work that came from that shop... and frankly, I was less than blown away... obviously, YMMV, but I would highly recommend that you don't walk into anything that can make such bold claims ["sounds like all the classics"... WhaddaWeGgot? Late night TV ad?] without some actual experience with the unit.

Also waiting for fletchers opinion on the Toft Pre... what I don't understand though is I thought Fletcher tests everything before he agrees to sell it...

Point of clarification... my opinion on something weighs very heavily in the decision making processes at M-A... but it ain't the only say in the matter. There are a good half dozen sets of hands [which is more or less a dozen ears] that anything has to pass by before a decision is made. There have been a couple of times when I liked something... but the other people involved in the process didn't think it made the cut... and other times when I've thrown my [unfortunately ever increasing... I really need to consider "Atkins"] weight around and we added something that the other folks on the staff weren't all that into.

and it seems he has agreed to sell this without testing it first... confused...

Confused and jumping to conclusions... much like I think you need to re evaluate your blind acceptance of the previous advertising claim... I think it pragmatic for you to read the words a written. Nobody said anywhere that we agreed to pimp anything.

With that said... Malcolm has been a 'friend of the company's for many years. I am a fan of his work [as I have owned and used it for many, many years prior to meeting him], so the stuff may get a bit of a 'predisposition' break... but it will undergo the same rigorous testing that everything else sees.

The object is to determine if the unit fills a void in the market. There aren't a whole lot of things that fill a void, so this isn't all that easy a task. In our world it's not just "is it good", but it's "is it special". Does this unit do something that nothing else on our roster does? If the answer is 'yes'; then, and only then, is it added.

also what catagory do you put the pre section on this thing? Is it neve like? grace like? what is the closest pre to compare it too? It sounds like the pre section might be it's weakest selling point ( I just mean next to the trident eq and 1176 like compressor)

Dude, take a ****************ing Valium (tm) will ya? I usually don't talk about **************** I've observed with things in public before I've had a chance to talk with the MFG./designer... but I can tell you that it definitely doesn't sound like a "Neve" (tm), nor does it sound like a "Grace" (tm) [at least for Grace's sake I hope it doesn't sound like a Grace... there already is a "Grace"... why would anyone want "another Grace"]. At the moment, the closest pre I could compare it to is an "MTA".

Whether or not the pre is it's strongest or weakest selling point has yet to be seen. Rushing through our processes isn't an option... so I'm afraid you're just going to have to be a bit patient.

Have a nice day.
                            <br />
                            <br />
                            <br />
                            <br />

Comment

Hey Fletcher... I am currenty on too many substances to consider valuum but thanks for the medical advice

As for the Korby..this would be a HUGE investment for me... I might get a chance to demo it on the west coast next week...I would still like to hear your opinion on it... and hope you get a unit it to test...

Alan is the mic in development you are refering to in the stephen paul line or something else? Cause i remember him stating that he has no intention on releasing reissue type mics...

ps: i don't remember any who has met me in person refering to me as a putz... but thanks for the insight

Comment

Hey Fletcher... I am currenty on too many substances to consider valuum but thanks for the medical advice

As for the Korby..this would be a HUGE investment for me... I might get a chance to demo it on the west coast next week...I would still like to hear your opinion on it... and hope you get a unit it to test...

Alan is the mic in development you are refering to in the stephen paul line or something else? Cause i remember him stating that he has no intention on releasing reissue type mics...

ps: i don't remember any who has met me in person refering to me as a putz... but thanks for the insight

Actually FLetcher said don't be a putz...He did not call you a putz. Us older folks have our old sayings that many of the younger guys don't understand, but too often type words are misunderstood.

We are doing an E Series, not the Stephen Paul mic. No, it is not like the Korby but it will be interesting. In other words, I can't release any information about it yet.
                                PMI Audio Group<br />

Comment

Working...
                                X