• Show
Clear All

• Toft Audio ATC-2

Click here for a close-up.

These boxes look promising.

Bowisc
    Bowisc

Drool!

The thing looks great. If Mercenary is carrying it, that means that Fletcher has heard it. Id like to hear his impressions. I was under the impression it was to be a squeeky clean pre with a vintage FET compressor. Is this still the case?

Thanks,
    Justin

Comment

Thanks for the plug... We will see in a week or so what a few guys think about them. I have used them for quite a while and I think Malcolm Toft hit it on the head with this unit.

A lot of bang for the buck, Dual Trident 80B Eq's, Dual Trident FET Compressor Limiters, and dual mic amps using Burr Brown for $999.99 on the street...

So, I guess we shall see what happens...
      Alan Hyatt
      PMI Audio Group
      Joemeek Studio Projects Toft Audio Designs Valley Audio
      toll free:877-563-6335
      e-mail: alan@pmiaudio.com
      url: www.pmiaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by alanhyatt
        ...A lot of bang for the buck, Dual Trident 80B Eq's, Dual Trident FET Compressor Limiters, and dual mic amps using Burr Brown for $999.99 on the street...

STOP! STOP!
        I just spent tons on some new gear, and now you do this to me??!!!

I'm okay now.

Bowisc
        Bowisc

Comment

Where do these fall on the sonic palette?

Bowisc
          Bowisc

Comment

Some cool reading on Trident History...

Trident History

Bowisc
            Bowisc

Comment

Thanks for the plug... We will see in a week or so what a few guys think about them. I have used them for quite a while and I think Malcolm Toft hit it on the head with this unit.

A lot of bang for the buck, Dual Trident 80B Eq's, Dual Trident FET Compressor Limiters, and dual mic amps using Burr Brown for $999.99 on the street...

$999.99, dual preamps, EQ and compressors... Alan, you already know what the outcome of this one will be. I would like to know what Fletcher thinks of it since Mercenary is set to carry it.
              Steven
              Mojo Pie
              Reviews, forums, blogs about recording gear

Comment

Originally posted by ozraves

$999.99, dual preamps, EQ and compressors... Alan, you already know what the outcome of this one will be. I would like to know what Fletcher thinks of it since Mercenary is set to carry it.

Actually, I am also waiting with anticipation for Fletchers comments. Fletcher and I do not always agree on somethings, but I consider him a Pro.

So like you, I am waiting. He also got #8 of the first batch of 10 which only went to the Beta houses. I still see things on it that needed a little cleaning up that we did on #11 to #50, so while many will not notice, we are always on top of it.

We shall soon see. According to Fedex tracking, it will be delivered tomorrow....
                Alan Hyatt
                PMI Audio Group

Comment

Originally posted by bowisc
                  Where do these fall on the sonic palette?

Bowisc

The compressor is 1176'ish, very ****************ing fast, smooth, in your face aggressive if you want it to be, yet clean and not there if you do not want it to be.

The EQ is authentic Trident 80B, and the mic amps are all Burr Brown Op Amps. Transparent, clean, yet with character. Definately an upper end contender, but that is my opinion.
                  Alan Hyatt
                  PMI Audio Group

Comment

If they review well, this will probably be my one and only amp purchase. If not, I'll probably just do the RNP/RNC thing. The Toft sure looks good!

Comment

Hey Alan -

The EQ is fixed-Q, correct? If so, what is the Q set at?
                      Spawn of Sock, Son of Spock

Comment

Actually, I am also waiting with anticipation for Fletchers comments. Fletcher and I do not always agree on somethings, but I consider him a Pro.

Good luck.
                        Steven
                        Mojo Pie
                        Reviews, forums, blogs about recording gear

Comment

Originally posted by Klaseed
                          Hey Alan -

The EQ is fixed-Q, correct? If so, what is the Q set at?

Well for each channel there is a 50Hz High Pass Filter you can switch in or out. The low Freq EQ is selectable between 50Hz and 120Hz with a +/- 15dB boost or cut. The Low Mid is sweep from 100Hz to 1.5kHz with a +/- 15dB boost or cut.

The High Mid is sweep from 1kHz to 15 kHz with a +/- 15dB boost or cut, and the High Freq is selectable between 8kHz and 12kHz with a +/- 15dB boost or cut.

This is quizi parametric... The bands are Peaked, not shelved..
                          Alan Hyatt
                          PMI Audio Group

Comment

alan or anyone that knows:

I heard there is a 2 channel Toft Pre - is that out yet or has it been out for awhile - if it has...any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by ddavid
                              alan or anyone that knows:

I heard there is a 2 channel Toft Pre - is that out yet or has it been out for awhile - if it has...any comments?

The AFC-2 which is 4 band sweep EQ and Mic Amp only is 60 to 75 days out from shipping, as is the EC1 and DC2
                              Alan Hyatt
                              PMI Audio Group

Comment

Working...
                              X