X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are the 1073 remakes on drums?

I'm looking to invest in one of the 1073 remakes (ie. Great River, Vintech, Brent Averill...) and I was just wondering how they fare on drums. I know a lot of people like the API stuff for drums and I would like to someday have that flavor, but I'm trying to get something that'll work for most everything I record, and for rock tracks, I want that thick iron sound. I love their smooth creamy sound, but I didn't know if that could be a downfall when recording percussion and the fast attacks.

Thanks for the help,
    Brandon
    <div class="signaturecontainer">www.bigbluesound.com</div>

I personally love to use them (gr nv / neve1073) on kick, snare and roommic.. don't always love them on overheads though (depends on the sound of the cymbals) and the same thing goes for percussion (triangle or congas? Can be a big difference)

Comment

Anyone have any opinions between the various models:

Great River NV
      Vintech x73 or 473
      Brent Averill

I don't really need the eq, so getting the Great River or Vintech 473 wouldn't necessarily be a downfall, but I'm just more concerned with the sound quality of the 3 models. The vintech 473 provides 4 channels with high and lo shelving. It's about $3000 so that's about $750/channel. Sounds like a much better deal than the others.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Brandon

Comment

First off, API isn't just for drums. It works great for everything just as the Neve and it's clones work great on everything. There are many times when I much prefer my API to my Neve. Lot's of stuff can be great for everything but might not be as good as others depending on the song, style, and arrangement. All the Neve types you mention are all good and have little differences in sound. The Great River is a great piece and would be my choice if not needing the eq. I have the old re-built Brent Averill and love it.

Comment

I personally wouldn't use any 1073-based mic pre on all tracks. If any of them, it would be the GR NV.

For $3000 for four channels, I'd look at something like 2 channels of Averill API and 2 channels of Averill 1272 or Vintech Dual 72. You'd get a lot more sonic versatility out of that rather than 4 channels of 1073, IMO.

I would track everything with an API 3124+, though - especially considering that you can swap out different opamps which have different characteristics.
          Dan Richards
          Pro Studio Reviews

Comment

Ok, So let me have you opinions of the differences of sound between the great river and the vintech 1272. The vintech pieces are much more reasonable financially and personally if they got "near" the big sound people say, I think it would be well worth the sound.

Does the vintech 1272 sound bigger than the great river? Are they different enough to work well together? If so, I can see myself having a Great River, vintech, and API down the road.

I like the idea of tracking a lot of my stuff with the Great River as I mostly do hard rock and need that big sound. I have some transparent pres now and I'm starting to see their downfalls for the stuff I'm recording.

Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by frist44
              Ok, So let me have you opinions of the differences of sound between the great river and the vintech 1272. The vintech pieces are much more reasonable financially and personally if they got "near" the big sound people say, I think it would be well worth the sound.

Does the vintech 1272 sound bigger than the great river? Are they different enough to work well together? If so, I can see myself having a Great River, vintech, and API down the road.

I like the idea of tracking a lot of my stuff with the Great River as I mostly do hard rock and need that big sound. I have some transparent pres now and I'm starting to see their downfalls for the stuff I'm recording.

Brandon

I can comment about my experiences between the Vintech Dual72 and the GR NV1. I had the Vintech for about 6-8 months, before getting the NV1. I wouldnt say one is better than the other. The NV1 was more practical for me. The Vintech didnt have a big sound,...It was Huge! It was a one trick pony. But that pony was a badass. I could only use it very sparingly though. It was too slow for something like overheads, too much "Iron" for vocals, and if used on more than a couple sources it started muddying up the mix. It was my goto pre on Rock Guitars(which it was Excellent for), and I also used it on snare & kick. It made Rock/Metal guitars sound so thick you could cut it with a knife. Huge bottom, a Very distinctive Mid Growl, and a warm and fuzzy top. That's the best I could describe it. The GR NV1 on the other hand, has more of a variable gain structure. It could stay relatively clean, or get more into the Vintech territoy(although not quite as much) with variable use of the input gain. I want to say that it has more of a pristine 3D type of sound compared to the Vintech. A more open top end. It wont really muddy things up like the Vintech. I have had great results with vocals, and acoustic guitar(which I personally could say about the vintech) but by driving the input gain higher, I got that very "in your face", "mid growl", "big" sound that I love on Rock guitars. The vintech is something you get when you have everything else and you want a one trick pony to tickle your fancy on occasion. The GR NV is something you get when you want a Very versatile and pristine 3D pre that can handle the cleaner stuff well, and get that bad-ass "Iron" charactor with the turn of a knob. JMHO. Sorry for the long rant. Hope this helps.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Amps<br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.petersamplification.com/">PETERS AMPS</a><br><b><a target="_blank" href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=565792">Clipz</a></b><br><br><i><b>FOR SALE:</b> </i><b><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2940983-Charvel-Wildcard-4-Dead-Calm-Aqua/">-CHARVEL DEAD CALM AQUA</a><br><b><br><a target="_blank" href="https://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/EVH-Wolfgang-Special-MIJ/td-p/34743801">-EVH Wolfgang Special MIJ</a><br><br></b></b></div>

Comment

Sinner - Your "rant" was quite helpful. i was hoping I would catch someone who had some experience with both. I'm thinking I'll probably end up getting the vintech down the road because there's some things where I imagined that huge sound would be perfect. However, for the first really nice addition to the pre selection, I'll probably go with the Great River first so I can utilize on more tracks.

Thanks again for the help,
                Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by frist44
                  Sinner - Your "rant" was quite helpful. i was hoping I would catch someone who had some experience with both. I'm thinking I'll probably end up getting the vintech down the road because there's some things where I imagined that huge sound would be perfect. However, for the first really nice addition to the pre selection, I'll probably go with the Great River first so I can utilize on more tracks.

Thanks again for the help,
                  Brandon

Glad I could help. I wouldnt count out that GR NV to get that huge sound you're looking for though. You might be surprized. I was afraid of not being able to get that "Huge" sound again when I switched from the Vintech to the GR as well. And while they are different, and the Vintech might get my vote for being the "Thicker" sounding of the 2,...It's not by That much. I hate to say it cause the vintech was great and Dallas was a great guy to talk to,...but I dont really miss the vintech much after running the GR through its paces. I found that whenever I had a need for that "Vintech" sound, the GR didnt fall short, and its Much more versatile. I know it sounds like I'm advocating the GR, but that's just cause I'm going from what you're telling me. If you need the extra pres or a dual channel,...Like Dot said, it might be a better bet(financially) to go for a Vintech Dual72 and a Brent Averille Api. Cause the Vintech Dual72 is only a few buck more than the 1-channel GR. But if you can deal with only 1 channel of "Neve" or dont mind paying extra for the 2 channel GR NV2, I'd say go with GR.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Amps<br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.petersamplification.com/">PETERS AMPS</a><br><b><a target="_blank" href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=565792">Clipz</a></b><br><br><i><b>FOR SALE:</b> </i><b><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2940983-Charvel-Wildcard-4-Dead-Calm-Aqua/">-CHARVEL DEAD CALM AQUA</a><br><b><br><a target="_blank" href="https://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/EVH-Wolfgang-Special-MIJ/td-p/34743801">-EVH Wolfgang Special MIJ</a><br><br></b></b></div>

Comment

Can anyone describe to me by records that are classic or well known where the NEve was used and the Avalon 737? Trying ot get an idea of sound. I do hard rock but also do mellow stuff down to the sweet ballads. I have a RNP right now but its starting to have problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X