Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Apogee Mini-Me

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apogee Mini-Me

Anybody have experience with this? I want to get a new preamp but want to avoid getting a preamp and A/D separately. This has two preamps plus S/PDIF out. Any experience with this? How are Apogee products in general?

Thanks
    <div class="signaturecontainer">---------------------------------------<br />
    My band - <a href="http://www.koniaband.com" target="_blank">Konia</a></div>

In general, I have found Apogee stuff to be the top end of the lower levels of the various converters... or the low end of the upper echelon of converters.

I have found the 'Mini-ME' to be one of the overall better sounding Apogee converters... and the mic pre's are definitely servicable in a "clean but not altogether boring" sorta way.

There are definitely better pre's and better converters... but not at that price point for the two.

Best of luck with your search.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="White">.</font><br />
    <font size="3"><b>CN Fletcher</b></font><br />
    <br />
    <u>Professional affiliations</u>:<br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://repforums.prosoundweb.com" target="_blank"><b>R/E/P</b></a> -- professional <b>R</b>ecording <b>E</b>ngineer and <b>P</b>roducer forums... serious hobbyists welcome<br />
    <br />
    <font size="1"><b>mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33</b><br />
    We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid<br />
    <br />
    &quot;I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.&quot; -A. Whitney Brown</font></div>

Comment

The studio i work at has the AD-8000 and I think it's great. Thats the only apogee product ive ever used. But I've never heard anyone down anything by Apogee. But now that i've said that im sure someone here will.

Comment

FWIW, the "Mini-ME" kills the AD-8000SE in terms of audio quality... much more natural sounding, far more flexibile with things like the 'soft limit' function [which actually sound musical on an Apogee unit for the first time in many, many, many moons].
        <br />
        <br />
        <a href="http://repforums.prosoundweb.com" target="_blank"><b>R/E/P</b></a> -- professional <b>R</b>ecording <b>E</b>ngineer and <b>P</b>roducer forums... serious hobbyists welcome<br />
        <br />
        <br />
        &quot;I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.&quot; -A. Whitney Brown</font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by Fletcher@mercenary.com
          I have found the 'Mini-ME' to be one of the overall better sounding Apogee converters... and the mic pre's are definitely servicable in a "clean but not altogether boring" sorta way.

There are definitely better pre's and better converters... but not at that price point for the two.

Fletcher, any have you used or listened to the Grace Lunatec V3, and offer an opinion of the characteristic similarities or differences of the two (compared to the Mini-me)...? It seems like Grace's expertise is in preamps, whereas Apogee's forte is in the converters.

Just curious...

Thanks,
          --T.D.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...</div>

Comment

bump
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Microsoft Sans Serif"><i><font size="3"><font color="darkorange"><div align="left"><b><font size="2">Everything you need is already within you</font></b></div></font></font></i></font> <font face="Microsoft Sans Serif"><font size="3"><font color="darkorange"><a href="http://www.healingwithhypnosis.com" target="_blank"><font size="2">HealingwithHypnosis.com</font></a></font></font></font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by Travelin' Dude
              Fletcher, any have you used or listened to the Grace Lunatec V3

Nope, haven't heard that model... other Grace stuff I've heard sounded kinda hard and pedestrian to me, but I haven't heard that model so I can't really do any kind of intelligent 'compare and contrast'.

Sorry.
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />

Comment

Originally posted by Fletcher@mercenary.com
                other Grace stuff I've heard sounded kinda hard and pedestrian to me,

In light of the earlier thread about describing sounds, I've just gotta know what "hard and pedestrian" means.

I'm lost on this one. Sounds interesting, though.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Jake<br />
                Humbucker Music<br />
                <a href="http://www.humbuckermusic.com" target="_blank">www.humbuckermusic.com</a><br />
                </div>

Comment

'hard' means that it sounds 'hard' [I don't know any other way to describe it], 'pedestrian' means 'nothing special'... that there are a plethora of other units that do something similar in terms of tone and texture.
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <br />

Comment

In regard to the portable units, like the LunatecV3 and MiniMe, is anyone aware of the possibility that Apogee or Grace would add a firewire I/O to these?
                    Steven G
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Microsoft Sans Serif"><i><font size="3"><font color="darkorange"><div align="left"><b><font size="2">Everything you need is already within you</font></b></div></font></font></i></font> <font face="Microsoft Sans Serif"><font size="3"><font color="darkorange"><a href="http://www.healingwithhypnosis.com" target="_blank"><font size="2">HealingwithHypnosis.com</font></a></font></font></font></div>

Comment

The Apogee Rosetta 800 will have a firewire option... the Mini-ME has a USB option.
                      <br />
                      <br />
                      <br />
                      <br />

Comment

metric halo uln-2 would be another option. Definately better as a sound card (being firewire you can go @ 96khz...the minime won't do 96k via usb but via spdif) it has on board dsp so it'll be less of strain on your cpu.

It sounds very good both a/d and mic pre wise but I haven't a/b'd it against the minime. The headphone amp on it is killer and the console app is a monster and it'll let you record direct into the console software so it's a great way to turn an old crap pismo g3 latop into a solid location recorder.

Comment

Fletcher, any have you used or listened to the Grace Lunatec V3, and offer an opinion of the characteristic similarities or differences of the two (compared to the Mini-me)...? It seems like Grace's expertise is in preamps, whereas Apogee's forte is in the converters.

I haven't compared those two specifically, but while I'd agree that it does seem that the two companies' expertise lies in different areas, I have compared the preamps in Apogee's Trak 2 to the Grace 201, and I thought the Trak 2 was easily a better preamp (listening analog, not even taking conversion into consideration). It sounded more like the sound of the instruments in the room (listened to an acoustic guitar and sax player) and the Grace even sounded a bit dull in comparison (the word "pedestrian" seems apt here). It sounded "transparent" without sounding "sterile" or "boring".

The MiniMe's preamps are based on the Trak 2's preamps, although they're not the same, and I don't know how closely the LunaTec's preamps relate to the 201's, so my insight may be totally meaningless...but I'd recommend that you ignore the fact that one company is best known for one thing and the other for another and just listen if you get the chance.

-Duardo

Comment

The Mini
                            Dan Richards
                            Pro Studio Reviews

Comment

Has anyone compared the preamps to the rnp?

Comment

Working...
                              X