Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever hated a DIGITALLY REMASTERED classic album?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever hated a DIGITALLY REMASTERED classic album?

Simple story... A classic 80s or earlier album made it to the charts, and sold largely in vinyl format.

Then came audio cassettes and CDs, and some say DIGITALLY REMASTERED from ORIGINAL Master Tapes.

Now I wonder, was there a time that you hated the digital remaster of a classic album, and in that case, preferred the older mixes?

For me, Led Zeppelin Remasters was a work of art. Killer tone without the hiss. And Bonham's drumming still sounds organic.

But there were some albums that I hated when they were remastered digitally, such as some old Beatles albums (drums panned hard right, vocals panned hard left - absurd). Can't remember the other remastered albums I hated...

I guess digital remastering is a fine art that can be used wrongly to kill the vibe of the originals to compensate for headroom and noise issues.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b><font color="red">Proud to be an ASH Soul... (Souls of the Amp Simulator Haters Club)... Spread the HATE!</font></b></font><br />
    <br />
    (But the Axe-FX makes me think about changing my sig.)</div>

Originally posted by skunky_funk

For me, Led Zeppelin Remasters was a work of art. Killer tone without the hiss. And Bonham's drumming still sounds organic.

The collection that came out in about 1990? With a zeppelin shadow flying over the field in the cover?

I haven't heard it for a long time, but when I first heard it I was really shocked of how they were able to kill the excellent drum sound completely (compared to vinyls I used to listen).
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass<br />
    - Frank Zappa</div>

Comment

Well actually - there was a Beatles album that were released on vinyl with the band & vocals panned hard left & right. So the 'remastered' version would just be preserving the experience of the original. I believe the story (based on George Martins autobiography) is that when the tapes were send to the American distributor, GM sent a 2 track tape so they could balance the levels properly for a mono album. Back then they were still releasing mono albums, and GM had no intention that this was to be a stereo album. I understand that he was absolutely gutted to find that the album was released that way in the states. But - it has become part of rock history, and I find it interesting.

Anyway - I have the remastered Machine Head album, and I don't think it adds anything.

Comment

Ugh...the Led Zep remasters are the reason that I can't stand remastered albums...the vinyl sound WAY cooler IMO.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Punk in Drublic</div>

Comment

I have Led Zep IV from the 80's (when CD's were just becoming popular) -- it's HORRIBLE!
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b>bruce valeriani - mix engineer<br />
          <a href="http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles" target="_blank">recording articles</a><br />
          <a href="http://www.bluebearsound.com" target="_blank">blue bear sound recording studios</a></b><br />
          <br />
          <i><font color="sienna">There are 2 components to Audio Engineering - <br />
          The first is understanding signal flow... the second is <b>all </b>about what you hear...</font> </i></font></div>

Comment

Now I wonder, was there a time that you hated the digital remaster of a classic album, and in that case, preferred the older mixes?

I guess digital remastering is a fine art that can be used wrongly to kill the vibe of the originals to compensate for headroom and noise issues.

Yup, I've noticed wonderful improvements on some, and
            horrible remixes on others. Remastering is an art and
            unfortunately not everyone is good at it.

But, when it's done right.......dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Bear Sound
              I have Led Zep IV from the 80's (when CD's were just becoming popular) -- it's HORRIBLE!

Definately, a lot of early CD remasters were bad the Zeppelin albums in particular.

I bought into the CD thing near the beginning, '83 I think. At the time I was pretty impressed with the no noise thing but I didn't know much at all about good quality sound reproduction so certainly sounded better than my BSR turntable and worn out records. It wasn't until a few years later when I found out what decent turntables, amplification, and speakers were that I started to question the "perfect sound" of the CD.

First issues of Zeppelin (American 1841 Broadway Atlantic) albums are quite good but later '70s and '80s reissue vinyl of these albums is kind of low quality.

Comment

(We meet again Obi-Wan! )

I recently acquired 5 remastered CD's of AC/DC (Dirty Deeds, '74 Jailbreak, High Voltage, Razor's Edge & Back In Black) mainly because of the great artwork, liner notes and digipak casing.

But the **************** was peak-limited as hell, so every loud shout or snare-hit would distort a bit. I still have vinyl and tape-copies of older AC/DC material, and that sounded better.

I also got 2 Ozzy CD's (Blizzard & Diary) which had the drum & bass tracks re-done! HORRIBLE! That Robert Trujillo wouldn't recognize subtility (sp?) if it bit him in the face!
                Far too modern sounding and hence a too big contrast with the original Randy&Ozzy vocal&guitar tracks.

Some digital remasters are good.
                I got the reason explained why many early CD's sounded so harsh; because they were copied directly from old mastertapes that had a boosted high-end as a pre-emphasis for vinyl. But since vinyl uses the RIAA encoding and CD does not, it sounded too bright/harsh.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://members.lycos.nl/movingneedles/index.html" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">M</font><font color="orangered">o</font><font color="orange">v</font><font color="limegreen">i</font><font color="seagreen">n</font><font color="royalblue">g</font><font color="red">N</font><font color="orangered">e</font><font color="orange">e</font><font color="limegreen">d</font><font color="seagreen">l</font><font color="royalblue">e</font><font color="blue">s</font></b> Recording Studio</a><br />
                <br />
                <font size="1"><i><b><font color="deeppink">Looking for:</font></b></i> <br />
                -MXR Envelope Filter &amp; Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)<br />
                <br />
                <b>For sale:<br />
                -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual</b>; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!</font></div>

Comment

Mostly the Zeppelin stuff. I hate the remasters of it. And there was a Kiss collection once that was remastered and offended me to the bone.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">If I ever get to the point where I can't even turn my own tuning knobs, someboy please shoot my roadie. - Jeremy Skrenes<br />
                  </div>

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon
                    (We meet again Obi-Wan! )

I recently acquired 5 remastered CD's of AC/DC (Dirty Deeds, '74 Jailbreak, High Voltage, Razor's Edge & Back In Black) mainly because of the great artwork, liner notes and digipak casing.

But the **************** was peak-limited as hell, so every loud shout or snare-hit would distort a bit. I still have vinyl and tape-copies of older AC/DC material, and that sounded better.

I totaly agree. These are the ones that came to mind for me too. My favourite AC/DC album is "If You Want Blood" and I cant listen to the remix version. Horrible. In fact it should be a crime...

Comment

Yup, some of those latter pressings of Zeplin albums were
                      garbage. My coppy of Zeplin III is particularly bad, should
                      I bother getting the CD, or will that be dissapointing too?

Not every record label used a cookie cutter approach to
                      their CD catalogs. Check out some of the older music from
                      Polygram records remastered by Dennis Drake.

Most of my rock and roll CDs sound better than their LP
                      pressings, because of the wider dynamic range. Classical
                      music is more of a mixed bag. Violins and 16 bit playback
                      don't always sit right with me.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Consider everything, believe nothing&quot; Elgar.</div>

Comment

I thought the brand new AC/DC ones were terrible.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote">
                        <div class="quote_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>Originally posted by slashjimipage </i><br />
                        <b><br />
                        <br />
                        ...do the trees ever hug you back? </b>

</div>
                        </div>
                        </div> <div class="bbcode_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote">
                        <div class="quote_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>Originally posted by ANTILIFE</i><br />
                        <b>Albums used to be journeys... now they are more like a cheap one night stand with 3 months of the clap thrown in.<br />
                        </b>

</div>
                        </div>
                        </div> </div>

Comment

It does go both ways. Have you ever listened to the beginning of "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys? Wow! I thought I had a
                          defective CD! It's really bad! Dropouts, channel jumping. As if it's recorded on tape kept too close to speaker magnets.
                          Speaking of the Beatles, Georgr Martin said Digital technology
                          has allowed Ringo's squeeky bass drum pedal to come back and haunt him. But to me the worst is Taking the reverb and gain
                          out of songs such as "She's A Woman" and "I Feel Fine".
                          The only way to hear it anymore is if you have the Vinyl or hopefully a tape recording of the Vinyl. Hey! there's an IDEA!
                          If someone can make a Home CD recording of the original
                          vinyl!! And sneakretly sell it!!! I won't say anything!

Comment

Originally posted by 0rbitz9
                            Yup, some of those latter pressings of Zeplin albums were
                            garbage. My coppy of Zeplin III is particularly bad, should
                            I bother getting the CD, or will that be dissapointing too?

THe best way to go is to hunt down a first pressing in good shape which can be a little tricky or if you don't mind putting out some cash I would check these guys out.

http://www.classicrecs.com/catalog/store/detail.cfm?sku=SD-7201

Most of my rock and roll CDs sound better than their LP
                            pressings, because of the wider dynamic range.

I find that rock recorded in the days of vinyl sounds generally sounds better on the LP but you need to have a good early pressing of the record.

I don't hear this wider dynamic range that CD has actually being put to use, if anything CD reissues often have less dynamic range than the old records.

Classical music is more of a mixed bag. Violins and 16 bit playback don't always sit right with me.

Just about all the classical I want to listen to was recorded before 1970 and in many cases isn't available on CD anyway. I'll stick to my old records, most I got for practically nothing and they sound great..

Comment

I don't get it.

Some people say they prefer the vinyl version to the CD version.

But in that case, you are comparing two different animals... VINYL and CD SOUNDS DIFFERENT FROM ONE ANOTHER. Vinyl can never sound as clear as CDs, likewise, CDs will never sound as organic (and noisy) as vinyl.

So to claim that the Vinyl mixes sound better for the simple choice of format is preposterous.

I think the issue about digital remasters is too much peak clipping and distortion.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b><font color="red">Proud to be an ASH Soul... (Souls of the Amp Simulator Haters Club)... Spread the HATE!</font></b></font><br />
                              <br />
                              (But the Axe-FX makes me think about changing my sig.)</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X