X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my bass drum sound bad?

Well I finally hooked up my drum mics, I don't have a whole in my bass drum head so I have it tied around one of the lugs on the resonate head so it doesn't move and it is placed kind of ontop of the bass drum, for some reason the bass drum sounds like a fart, everything else sounds good, snare, toms, cymbals, all sound decent, bass drum sounds like a fart. When I add highend(open high-hat, the bass drum sounds decent.

Anyone know how I can mic my bass drum and have it not sound like a fart?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">WOO!</div>

Fixed it, I had the gain and the bass up too much.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">WOO!</div>

Comment

Just a thought, but try putting the mic on a stand. I bet if you put your ear directly on the lug, I bet the drum would sound like a fart as well.

You definitely don't need hole in your kick drum to get a good sound to tape. If it sounds good, you can capture it.

And I doubt you truly fixed it with a gain adjustment. (but I have been surprised many times in the past)
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Daily objectifying a subjective interpretation</div>

Comment

hrm

Comment

Originally posted by ANTILIFE
          I *always* take off the front head of a kick drum to record. Religiously. Without fail. Who needs those dumb holes?

I put a mic about 4" from where the beater strikes and another about 8" back pointing off from the beater. Then I throw a tarp/blanket over it and tape it all down.

Well I guess it depends on the music that's being recorded but being a drummer I know that the bottom heads are just as important as the top heads. Removing the bottom head and placing the mic right beneath the top head may give it a good punch sound but the tone will be lost.

The best kick drum sound I've gotten was using a head with a dampening system (like DW or Aquarian heads) and placing a mic inside the drum angled right where the beater hits the front head and placing a kick drum mic angled right at the hole behind the kick drum about a foot back (that way you don't get too much wind hitting the mic). And that way you're more accurately reproducing the natural tones your kick drum already has. Another thing that has helped tremendously is building a tunnel system. That way you block all the cymbal noise and are able to get nice wet high sounds in the EQ without making the cymbals annoying.

Remember there's no right or wrong way, just experiment and see what works best for you. The only thing that matters is the end result.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.etchedinred.com" target="_blank">My Band - Etched In Red</a></div>

Comment

Working...
          X