X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/n Ratio For Mics

i've been trying to decide on some overheads, and also maybe using condensors for toms aswell. i got to looking a the s/n ratio for the big name stuff like AT, audix, etc and they're claiming 70's and below for the s/n ratio, while the cheaper brands like marshall, studio projects, etc. are claiming 70+ and even 80+. how much merit should be put on the s/n ratio? i really don't have a problem with using the cheaper brands for overheads, but what i'd like to know is how would they sound on toms verses a drum specific mic. for example how would a marshall 603 sound on a tom verses an atm 35 or an audix d-vice? and also how well will the little condensors stand up being used live alot compared to dynamics? and which would you prefer sound wise on toms dynamics or condesors?

I wouldn't pay the slighest bit of interest to the S/N - especial in a noiseless digital environment. Worry about how the mic sounds on the source. Get whatever sounds best to you.

ATM35s stand up fine to regular live use - just be careful with the cables.

-Dan

Comment

For drum mics self noise of a mic is meaningless unless of course your mic happens to be broken.

Self noise of mics can become an issue if you are doing something like classical recording however.

Comment

Working...
      X