X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer speakers that dont suck...?

Hell if I can find them!

I hate multi-piece speakers, I just want a L and R speaker that actually sounds OK for my computer. I just tried a $20 set of Creative speakers that were horrible... couldn't take low notes. Played Carcass through them and they make popping noises. Not even loud either! Next step up is 39 dollar Altecs...

Can anybody recommend me some computer speakers that dont suck? Or should I start looking at low-end studio monitors...
    FS: EH Stereo Memory man w/ hazarai, like new, 180 shipped CONUS.WANT: Weber Bias-rite

go for monitors... or of that is out of budget just get your regular stereo and hook that up.
    http://www.macouno.com

Comment

I've got a pair of Roland MA-12c powered speakers on my computer and I think they sound very good. They were all I used at my previous job doing primarily VO and industrial music-type stuff and my mixes always translated well.

You may find some on E-Bay.

If I had an actual studio, I'd get some real monitors, tho.

MG
      "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

The altec lansing kit I bought in special at the shop were around 50$

For consumer stuff and listening to music, they toally kickass, they are powered with a wooden subwoofer that came with them.

the satellites are standing in the air on a metal support.

Sound is really clear and not distorted at any volume.

For monitoring, it wouldn't be the best speakers though, the sub cannot be turned off, so it really affects the EQ when you are trying to modify frequencies on a mix..whatever, you don't generally use that for monitoring so it's not much of a problem, for the rest, it's great.

that's what I got exactly : Speakers 221

I would also recommend monitoring speakers if you can afford them though

Comment

i hear Klipsh make awesome computer speakers with high output and great clarity.. but thats what i hear.

but, i use my event 20/20s for playing video games and their ****************in awesome. no 3d sound, but so what.

Comment

Hey converge,

Its pretty hard to find decent sounding 2 piece computer speakers without the bulky sub. Computer speaker designerss do this because they want to maximize the limited desktop "real estate". Your best bet is to get a set with the sub if sound is your major factor. I liked the Logitech z-540s (older model) for gaming and listening to music but its always best to go to a store that'll let you try them out beforehand.

Ry

Comment

Currently the PC speaker situation is as such:

The kingpin speakers for both volume and sound quality (accoriding various pc magazines) are:

2.1 speakers - Klipsh Promedia - http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=103

5.1 speakers - Logitech Z560's
              6.1 speakers - Logitech Z680's

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/productlist&crid=18&countryid=2&languageid=1

Comment

Here's what I use

I have yet to hear computer speakers that even approach the quality of these - in any application.

-Dan.
                Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

they're $50, look like real monitor speakers (when you pop the covers off) and sound amazing.

Comment

The Altec Lansing 621's I recently got are superb. They have a neutral response with excellent clarity, and you can adjust the subwoofer level to your tastes. They've been discontinued, but some online dealers still have stock. I got mine off eBay for $95 shipped. Some reviews:
                    http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/user_reviews.php?ID=249

For some other (expensive) recommendations, check out this thread at one of the other forums I frequent:
                    http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=48766

Comment

This always kills me--someone checking out songs or clips or even recording and they have computer speakers. Hello?

At least run your soundcard cables out to your Stereo. Anyone listening to music through computer speakers should be ashamed(unless they cant afford a stereo)--but you can get them for pretty cheap these days

Comment

I've got the Bose Media Mates and they're typical good hyped Bose sound. They're about $100. Low end is surprisingly deep, worth a listen at Best Buy.

Warren
                        Warren Dent | Owner | www.ZenProAudio.com

Comment

Hi guys.

I have my soundcard hooked up to my stereo, and everything seems to crackle through it...but I can play a cd, and it sounds great from the cd player through the stereo. What's up with that?

I've been downloading songs from HR.com mixing clinic, and while everyone else is ranting and raving, I'm thinking it hurts my ears. Can someone explain this...is it just bad cables? I had to use some little adapters on the end of the rca cables in order to make it work...L-R rca cable, with 1/4 adapter on one end to sound card, and straight rca to stereo rear.

It's an older Pioneer receiver, maybe 8-10 years old, I'm guessing. Give or take a year or two. The problem only seems to happen when using the computer stuff...the stereo itself sounds fine when playing any other source.

Thanks!
                          -Kirstin

Comment

Hi,
                            I just bought a set of these.. and I've got to admit for basic puter speakers these ROCK!! heres the link

http://www.consumerdepot.com/products.asp?id=RAMBLE1000

LMK if this helps ya

Bill
                            John 3:16 do you think that you could do that??

Comment

Originally posted by kgirl72
                              Hi guys.

I have my soundcard hooked up to my stereo, and everything seems to crackle through it...but I can play a cd, and it sounds great from the cd player through the stereo. What's up with that?

I've been downloading songs from HR.com mixing clinic, and while everyone else is ranting and raving, I'm thinking it hurts my ears. Can someone explain this...is it just bad cables? I had to use some little adapters on the end of the rca cables in order to make it work...L-R rca cable, with 1/4 adapter on one end to sound card, and straight rca to stereo rear.

It's an older Pioneer receiver, maybe 8-10 years old, I'm guessing. Give or take a year or two. The problem only seems to happen when using the computer stuff...the stereo itself sounds fine when playing any other source.

Thanks!
                              -Kirstin

What soundcard have you got, and is there an option to set the output level. Delta soundcards, for example, have an option in the control panel to change the level between +4, 'consumer', and -10. You will most likely want -10 output. +4 levels are likely to be too hot for the input.

-Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X