Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mic preamps in a Mackie ... better than an AudioBuddy?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mic preamps in a Mackie ... better than an AudioBuddy?

Just wondering if I get a small Mackie mixer, will the mic pre's be better quality than the AudioBuddy that I'm currently using?
    Gear:
    '59 Les Paul Historic
    '74 Marshall Superlead ('67/'68 spec metro board)
    '73 Superlead
    Deluxe Reverb RI
    '68 and '70 straight Basketweaves

they are about the same to me. ymmv. good luck.

steve
    www.mojopie.com
    Steven
    Mojo Pie
    Reviews, forums, blogs about recording gear

Comment

Darn, I was hoping for an improvement ... not that the AudioBuddy is bad.
      Gear:
      '59 Les Paul Historic
      '74 Marshall Superlead ('67/'68 spec metro board)
      '73 Superlead
      Deluxe Reverb RI
      '68 and '70 straight Basketweaves

Comment

Originally posted by gnugear
        Darn, I was hoping for an improvement ... not that the AudioBuddy is bad.

Relatively speaking, I think the Mackie VLZ Pro's are a shade or two better (as opposed to "steps")... as long as you keep your signals around -10 or better yet -20 with faders at "U".

The better your signal chain (converters, monitoring, etc.), the more you will notice.

Going out via the insert would be suggested.
        Bowisc

Comment

Going out via the insert would be suggested.

ahh.. why so? sounds interesting & just wondering because I have been going MAIN OUT, I just got the 1402 BTW
          Finding a better way

Comment

It's a more direct signal chain with less "links" in it, thus less signal degradation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonchalant

ahh.. why so? sounds interesting & just wondering because I have been going MAIN OUT, I just got the 1402 BTW

When you go out the insert it usually bypasses the EQ and fader, making for a cleaner signal path (less electronics), doing this also frees up the main outs for other uses.

Comment

going out the insert jack bypasses the mackie EQ, and apparently it's not the nicest eq really. I would tend to agree. With everything on 0 in the eq it still does have an almost inaudible effect on the signal, but an effect none the less. You still have the low cut button working from the insert jack, just not the eq.
                Forecast for tomorrow; a few sprinkles of genius with a chance of doom!

I USED to be a señor member...

Comment

Personally I wouldn't buy a mixer for it's pres - for the same $ you'll usually get better quality stand-alone pres. If you need a mixer anyway then that's a different story, but then you can base it on comparing different mixers.

-Dan

Comment

hmmm....I've been going out the aux sends on my 1202. I should probably try direct. Only problem is I'd have to rewire my whole setup, since I use the inserts for the compressor...

Of course, my whole signal chain is in need of revising... bunch of crap that it is.
                    Homebrew CD reviews at LoveLaborMusic.com
                    My musical adventures
                    The Drum Programming tutorial
                    Stuff for sale/trade

Comment

'Excellent'

Yes I read it does the bypassing of Fader/EQ but great tip for I have 6 inserts to my 1010. The little things that make me happy.
                      Finding a better way

Comment

I personally think Mackie preamps are bright sounding. Overall not bad though. They will do the job.

I have never used an Audiobuddy.

Warren
                        Warren Dent | Owner | www.ZenProAudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by spinman
                          hmmm....I've been going out the aux sends on my 1202. I should probably try direct. Only problem is I'd have to rewire my whole setup, since I use the inserts for the compressor...

Of course, my whole signal chain is in need of revising... bunch of crap that it is.

Try using the ALT 3/4 sends. I have a 1202 and the alt sends are basically made for the task of going to a recorder. You can still use your compressors this way. It might not be as clear and perfect as it could be, but its pretty good, you'll only notice the better-ness of the inserts if you've got good monitors and are being critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch

Try using the ALT 3/4 sends. I have a 1202 and the alt sends are basically made for the task of going to a recorder. You can still use your compressors this way. It might not be as clear and perfect as it could be, but its pretty good, you'll only notice the better-ness of the inserts if you've got good monitors and are being critical.

Uh...there are no alt 3/4 sends on my mixer. What 1202 do you have? Mine is not the VLZ version.
                            Homebrew CD reviews at LoveLaborMusic.com
                            My musical adventures
                            The Drum Programming tutorial
                            Stuff for sale/trade

Comment

ahh, ok, I have the vlz.

That being the case, you might find the audiobuddy pre's nicer perhaps? They only 'famed' pre amps that makie makes are their VLZ series ones...

Comment

Working...
                              X