Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to record drum machine tracks to digital recorders?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to record drum machine tracks to digital recorders?

Cakewalk and drum machines don't seem to work together.
    Is there a software based drum machine that interfaces with Cakewalk and allows easy mixing with audio, (not midi) recording tracks?

Maybe you just don't know what you're doing? Have you considered that possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by frogtrap
      Cakewalk and drum machines don't seem to work together.
      Is there a software based drum machine that interfaces with Cakewalk and allows easy mixing with audio, (not midi) recording tracks?

How is Cakewalk not working with the drum machine?
      There are software based drum machines; what do you want from them?
      Homebrew CD reviews at LoveLaborMusic.com
      My musical adventures
      The Drum Programming tutorial
      Stuff for sale/trade

Comment

Have you recorded from a drum machine to Cakewalk?
        If so, please explain how you time sync with cakewalks
        tempo set up. If you have done it, then you know what
        you're doing. And I would sure appreciate it if you could
        set me straight! You'd be the first person I've asked in
        2 years that can explain it. Please make my day!!
        That's what I love about message boards.
        You draw from a larger info base than you'd ever meet in
        normal day to day life.
        Thanks!!

Comment

BOY I sure hope so! I listen to New Wave, and am getting pretty tired of carrying around a LinnDrum, 808 , 909, and SP1200 along with my Walkman just to listen to those recordings.

Comment

How were you trying to do it before?
            My musical adventures
            Stuff for sale/trade

Comment

I have recorded a drum machine to n-track (same idea) and had the same issue/problem.

Unless you use MIDI, your BPM recorded off the drum machine will not match the BPM in your recording software. No problem, I just recorded the drum machine and did not use the BPM in n-track (as mrknobs suggested). n-track, however, does allow you to change the BPM down to 2 decimal places, so I was able to keep adjusting the software's BPM until it matched up to that of the drum machine.

Depends on what you want. A little more explanation as to what you wanted to accomplish and the probelm you're having, I would hope, would have avoided some nasty replies.

Comment

Originally posted by greendoor
                Maybe you just don't know what you're doing? Have you considered that possibility?

Gees, what an a**

Comment

Thank you midiguy - I love you too! I don't see you offering your expertise either. What annoyed me about frogtraps original post is that he made a bold statement "Cakewalk & drum machines don't seem to work together", and then leaped to the conclusion that he needs some more software to make it happen - without using midi. People have been syncing drum machines to software sequencers via midi since the year dot. A quick RTFM would tell him how do this. Or if he wanted to avoid midi totally and use audio, that's just a matter of recording the freaking drum machine as an audio track first. Time stretch if necessary. Or whatever - I don't care.

Comment

greendoor!
                    It's OK. Two things. I don't know you, you don't know me.
                    (that's not either of the two things, just a preface).
                    But when I read one of your posts on CD's whether they're better
                    or worse, I could tell alittle about your knowledge. Aside from the
                    cranky "how dare this daft idiot ask such a tiny-brained question
                    in MY presence" attitude,
                    1.) you are alright with me. I'm not a sparkling example of tactfulness at all times either! (as you can probably tell).
                    I implore you to please put up with me and my brash antics.
                    You know alot in this field, and I'm guessing others areas too.
                    And I honestly appreciate this! Thanks for explaining about recording the drum machine as the first audio track. The two cakewalk books I've read lead me to believe it can't be done.
                    And up til now, all self proclaimed experts have said "Nope,
                    you'll have to program midi drums."
                    Yet, I've never tried it. So the sometimes the ol' elevator doesn't go to the top floor!
                    2.) I'm halfway there. Maui. an Uppity Haole!

Comment

Frogtrap - that's cool. I'm normally not such as 'A**' - I sometimes post when I'm too tired or pissed - so please excuse me. If you want to pursue the drum-machine to audio method, here are some ideas that might help: assuming you have created a few drum machine patterns and arranged them into a song, you could record the whole drum machine song as the first track and go from there. Or - you could just record the individual patterns only. This is basically making your own drum loops. Then, in Cakewalk you could import the wave files into the bars where you want them. For example, you might create a 4 bar pattern at 120bpm that you want to use 4 times for the chorus. Record just the 4 bar pattern, and trim it in a wave editor so there is no dead air. Set Cakewalk to 120bpm, import the wave file into the bar where you want it, and then paste it four times.
                      It's true that your drum machine clock and Cakewalk's clock may be slightly different, so the loop may click or be slightly out. You can either adjust the tempo of Cakewalk until they loop right, or you could use time stretching to make your wave exactly fit. This method will save you space on your hard drive. More importantly, it will allow you to do midi stuff and be able to work with bars and beats, and use quantise, and be exactly in time with your audio drum beats. This makes for easier editing, rather than just having your audio in minutes and seconds and having to identify the exact time for each section. The other big advantage is that you avoid using midi. Midi timing can be very sloppy - something that greatly annoyed me when I was using it. Drum machines usually have rock solid timing with their own sequencer, but sloppy timing when triggered by midi. (I use VST drum machines and samplers now, which have perfect phase accurate timing - and my only use for midi is to get note data into the PC).

Comment

I could be wrong, but isn't there a way to slave cakewalk to an external midi clock? (In sonar it's tools ->project options ->clock)

If not, it's possible you can slave the drum machine to cakewalk's midi clock. Most devices with built-in sequencers have this option... but not all!
                        My musical adventures
                        Stuff for sale/trade

Comment

I know "drum machine" many times denotes a certain cheesey
                          80's music. ( But I liked The Cars anyway!) I have an alesis
                          sr-16. I have turned it inside out. Building different drum kits,
                          and programing each different song until I have quiet a collection.
                          Now I want to record some of those songs, and don't want to
                          throw all that work away. Truthfully some of the tracks should be canned, but some of em' are OK.
                          I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyones input. It's cool 'cause in written form, I can re-read instructions! If we talked,
                          I could never absorb or remember everything. The computer noise
                          suggestions we're good too. As well as the company. It's funny,
                          while I'm writing this, most on the mainland are asleep. And
                          greendoor is probably eating lunch or something. Yet it's as if holding a conversation. Wierd.

Comment

Thanks! I'll definately be questioning the "board of Directors"
                            further! Mahalo.

Comment

Working...
                            X