"Ducking" in Cubase SX

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ducking" in Cubase SX

hey guys,

I don't usually post here, but I thought this would be the best place for this kind of question.

I have Cubase SX, and I want to achieve a "ducking" effect. I've read a few tutorials around the place, but most have been generic ones, not specific to this sequencer. I know it involves side chaining and stuff, but I just can't work it out. The effect I want, is when the kick drum hits, the bass cuts out momentarily, or becomes much quieter, so the mix isn't too muddy etc.

hope you can help me out. if it makes a difference, I make electronic/drum and bass/glitchy stuff. thanks in advance.

- Joe
    "One thought it lasts a day and at that rate he'll most likely live forever..."

"That's right, actual demons in a can, packaged and sold in stores around your city or town."

I believe you would need to get a third party plugin to do that. I think the Gate from http://www.ultrafunk.com/ can do ducking from a side chain input. I have both SX and Ultrafunk, but I haven't actually tried to do this yet ...

Comment

I found the sidechain functions in SONAR too, using the FX1 pack.
      Too bad it only works with mono channels, so there's no ducking the complete instruments bus when the vocals come in
      Anyone ideas for stereo ducking in SONAR 2/3?

Danthomir
      www.jaapjongenelen.nl
      www.icaros.nl

Comment

Scrub that - Ultrafunk Gate can't do it. I would be interested to know of any good plugins to do this too ...

Comment

hELLO !

Check this one...

http://www.db-audioware.com/dbd.htm

Comment

Wow! This really kicks some butts around!

Danthomir
            www.jaapjongenelen.nl
            www.icaros.nl

Comment

TC works native bundle has a compressor and a sidechainer plugins. It works pretty good. Let's say you need to duck the bass every time the bass drums kick in. You insert the sidechainer (keyinput) on the kick drum track; you insert the compressor on the bass guitar track and from the compressor window you pick the key input from sidechainer and you play with the levels. Now every time the kick drum sounds, the bass guitar will be ducked by whatever amount you specified in the compressor window.

It's pretty good as also you can set how fast or slow you want the compressor to respond to get a smooth drop in volume. Of course you can also do voice over very effectively or instead of blasting the lead guitar you can simply have something (that shares similar frequencies) duck out of the way...

Comment

Working...
              X