Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting Digi 002R

Any thoughts?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Any problem can be solved by the suitable application of nuclear weapons.<br />
    <br />
    <font color="red">XT Brotherhood </font></div>

get it..
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.purevolume.com/stiffoneeye" target="_blank">http://www.purevolume.com/stiffoneeye</a><br />
    <a href="http://www.purevolume.com/murphyjr" target="_blank">http://www.purevolume.com/murphyjr</a><br />
    Mesa Single Rectifier<br />
    Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cab (Vintage 30s)<br />
    Mesa Boogie Busterbass 200<br />
    Mesa Boogie Diesel 1x15 &amp; 2x10<br />
    Gibson 1960 Les Paul Classic Bullion Gold <br />
    Gibson SG Standard Classic White<br />
    Gibson SG Faded Cherry - Burstbucker 2 in bridge</div>

Comment

I had done very little recording when I bought my first setup, a digi001. I LOVE it! The ease of the installation, the way which it interfaces with the bundled ProTools software, the 8 simultaneous tracks of recording - all were great. I even was able to take some of the tracks I had done and import them into the studio session when my band recorded its first album - that can potentially save some serious time and money. If I was looking for a new setup, I would probably get the Digi002.

I'm sure there are better setups out the, but for a newbie like me, a Digi002 would suit me just fine.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">http://www.lucidundercurrent.com<br />
      <br />
      &quot; That would be a bad idea, on a scale of good to bad.&quot;</div>

Comment

The Digidesign stuff is a little high priced. If it just a mass amount of PCI connected duplex channels you want, try a ST Audio DSP 2000 or the newer 3000 about to hit the stores. The oo2 is a Protools based system and can cost you loads in software if you want more than a chump version. Other than that, it is an excelent system, nice pre's, nice duplex, but better suited for a mac than a PC due to latency issues. The XP or NT based OS's tend to slow the cards down alot, even on a P-4 with 2+ gig of RAM. Believe me, I know.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Big Baby<br />
        315ce<br />
        410 Limited<br />
        510ce<br />
        LKSM 6<br />
        Windham Hill<br />
        Guild F-4CE<br />
        Yairi Baritone YB1<br />
        Ibanez AX220QM<br />
        <br />
        Taylor should burn for the Susanna Hoffs Model!</div>

Comment

The digi 002 rack is not PCI based. It uses a fire wire interface. Are there a lot of latency problems with this type of interface. I'm intrested in the 002 rack because of the fire wire. This way I don't have to take apart my computer to install it, and it will avoid conflicts with my sound card.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Any problem can be solved by the suitable application of nuclear weapons.<br />
          <br />
          <font color="red">XT Brotherhood </font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by TomcatMF
            The digi 002 rack is not PCI based. It uses a fire wire interface. Are there a lot of latency problems with this type of interface. I'm intrested in the 002 rack because of the fire wire. This way I don't have to take apart my computer to install it, and it will avoid conflicts with my sound card.

I've been using the 002 rack with both the bundled ProTools software and Sonar and a high-end Dell laptop running Windows XP. I haven't noticed significant latency or other performance issues in either case.

Firewire is a fast interface and on a PC it isn't usually overloaded with traffic from other peripherals. You can tune the operating system to minimize latency and drop out issues, but doing so is a bit of a black art. There was a good article on the subject a month or three ago in Electronic Musician.

Of course, you need good laptop hardware to begin with. I wouldn't attempt 8 track recording without a reasonably fast disk and at least half a gigabyte of RAM. Processor speed isn't that critical for recording, but for playback/mixing, a 2GHz or faster processor is a must.

I have two boot configurations for my laptop - one for work use and the other for music. The music configuration disables a lot of stuff including the network, power management, and most background services. I've been able to record 8 24-bit tracks at 44.1 KHz with very few problems. Playback/mixing performance has also been good as long as I don't pile on too many real-time effects.

In short, I'm a satisfied customer.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">___________________<br />
            Stephen Burd<br />
            Albuquerque, NM</div>

Comment

Working...
            X