X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hrm

Comment

A while back we recorded my young nieces and nephews doing a couple of numbers, some they wrote some I helped with. One of the more interesting sounds we got in the mix was when I stereo miced (XY) my niece holding a slinky between her hands, spread apart about 18", and slinging it from side to side, to tempo.....really cool in the right context.

Comment

hrm

Comment

PVC DIDGERIDOO: get a 4-6' length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe. Make the diameter smaller on the mouthpiece end by applying a little auto-body filler (Bondo) evenly to the inside of the pipe--just on one end. When it's dry, sand smooth, and you have a very playable, very bright sounding didge.

Some people have other tricks for making the diameter on the mouthpiece end smaller, but the Bondo trick was taught to me by the local Didgeridoo guru (yes, we had one!) in my home town.

PVC also makes a nifty bong. Kids, ask your parents for help when working with power tools.

Comment

I discovered an interesting noisemaker while doing dishes:

Put a small amount of water (< 1cup) into a stainless steel mixing bowl. Tap the underside of the bowl with your finger and tilt the bowl as you tap. A pitch-bend effect occurs this way. You'll get a sharper, clearer sound by tapping with a spoon or other hard object.
            Originally posted by Zooey
            PVC also makes a nifty bong. Kids, ask your parents for help when working with power tools.

Good idea. I'm sick of scraping resin out of my didgeridoo.

Comment

Ha... that's funny... I coincidently discovered that same bowl/water sound myself yesterday! Only, my bowl was a big ceramic thing. Stirring the water (varying amounts) at different speeds before doing what you described has really great added effects. Plus tapping with different objects on various areas of the water holding container adds more versatility to the instrument.

What is also funny is I also live in Denver! Strange things are happening 'round here... whoa!!
              NEW CD!! www.travelbyseamusic.com

Comment

Working...
              X