Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Love-Hate Music

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love-Hate Music

I just found some of my old demo material from last year that I had forgotten about. Its funny how after getting over the initial excitement of recording the songs, I usually am discusted with my music. Its also interesting to listen to my old mixes a year later and I acutally find myself enjoying them!

Just wondering if anyone else ever experiences this:

Writing song (high)-->
    recording (various highs and lows through accomplishments and frustrations)-->
    Listening/mixdown (high)-->
    Listen the next day and hate it-->

...Come back a year later, and everything's way better than you remember...

-Piper

All the time.
    It's always best to give yourself time to work on the mix. I'll usually clean it up and let it go for a while...then come back and do a rough overall mix and leave it once more...then come back again for tweaks...then take time off between tweaks to rest my ears. That's the bonus of home recording -we can afford that time.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I am bored to death of some of our older material but last week at a party someone was playing our stuff and some new people that never heard it before were listening and they loved it and wouldn't stop talking about it. After hearing everyone's excitement, it started making me feel a bit excited about the songs too. I think what you have to keep in mind is that being a musician, you are your own worst critic.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.etchedinred.com" target="_blank">My Band - Etched In Red</a></div>

Comment

I'm almost embarassed to say, but I like most of my music for a good while afterwards. If I like something enough to see it through to the end, I'll usually enjoy it for some time afterwards. I mean, after a month or so I get sick of the songs, and I start to notice some of the warts and imperfections (sometimes too big to go back and fix), so I'm not so keen on them. I don't think there's much that I've done in the last six or seven years that I absolutely hate now. Now, go back 10 or 15 years and yeah there'll be some stuff (some of my first recordings!).

I forget who said it, but one of the authors I like said that he wrote a certain book "because it's one I wanted to read and nobody had written it". I would say that's why I make the music I do. Because it's music I want to listen to and nobody I've heard is making it quite like I want it.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><a href="http://www.lovelabormusic.com" target="_blank">Homebrew CD reviews at LoveLaborMusic.com</a></b><font size="1"><br />
        <a href="http://www.alandmoore.com/lc" target="_blank">My musical adventures</a><br />
        <a href="http://www.alandmoore.com/ramblings/TheoryOfDP.htm" target="_blank">The Drum Programming tutorial</a><br />
        <a href="http://www.alandmoore.com/cleancloset" target="_blank">Stuff for sale/trade</a></font></div>

Comment

A friend reacquainted me with an album I did in like 1990... I really hated the stuff when it came out, and now, 13 years after it's initial release... lo and behold, I still hated it.

****************ty, ****************ty, ****************ty work... and a ****************ty mastering job to boot.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="White">.</font><br />
          <font size="3"><b>CN Fletcher</b></font><br />
          <br />
          <u>Professional affiliations</u>:<br />
          <br />
          <a href="http://repforums.prosoundweb.com" target="_blank"><b>R/E/P</b></a> -- professional <b>R</b>ecording <b>E</b>ngineer and <b>P</b>roducer forums... serious hobbyists welcome<br />
          <br />
          <font size="1"><b>mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33</b><br />
          We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid<br />
          <br />
          &quot;I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.&quot; -A. Whitney Brown</font></div>

Comment

I definitely have this experience often, where a song gets written, and then rewritten, and then gone over with a fine tooth comb. All the while I'm loving it! The band will do it live a few times, and I'm loving it! I'll sit down one Saturday, and spend two days tracking and doing some basic mixing. Now I'm really loving it, because it sounds even better with all of the compression and perfect balance....

But, this is just the beginning. I've now got the concept for how I want it to sound production wise, and because I'm still a novice, I ussually end up having to redo it from scratch (or at least many of the parts) so that I can realize the final product which has now been basicall sketched out...

Now, it's a month later, and in between band practises, scattered tracking sessions, and playing the rough version for myself and friends, I've started to lose the vibe as I sit down to mix the final version. The song seems to lack the energy that I was feeling, and it's not interesting me the same way... then I start wondering if it could ever intereste anyone!!

So, at this point, I have to sit back, and realize that fact that I was totally loving the song for like 2 months, and the only reason it's boring me is because I've heard it more than the latest Cher song being played in every elevator and supermarket nation-wide. My angle, is that I try to just step back, and be an engineer, not a performer. Some band has layed out these tracks, and I just have to make it sound as good as possible. I stop thinking about the songwriting, and just focus on the task at hand. Then, when I think it's done, and I've tested it on 10 stereos and re-mixed it 10 times, I put it away!!! I'll bring it out a few weeks later and relisten. All of the sudden, it's like "Yeah, that was such a great song!".

It's all about having a hat collection
            <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Infinite patience produces immediate results,&quot; - Unknown<br />
            <br />
            &quot;Looking at small advantages prevents great affairs from being accomplished.&quot; - Confucius</div>

Comment

I totally have the same thing going on. I dig what I'm doing for a while but as I finish up the song I'm liking it less and less and by the time I've done an initial mix I think it totally sucks and is crap.

Then 6 months later I listen back to it and it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was.

Comment

Working...
              X