Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoiding that "direct" drum machine sound.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding that "direct" drum machine sound.

Hi. I use the standard Alesis SR-16 for demo recording. I like it because the samples are natural - however, this doesn't nedessarily alleviate the artifical feel of direct recording. I record mainly acoustic guitars and vocals, so a drum mix without much "air" to it doesn't work for me so well. I've used different hall and room settings without much success. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Has anyone tried miking monitors?

now you got the idea!
    I KNOW EVERYTHING JUST ASK ME

Comment

I've not cared for the sr-16 sounds; I like to use samples that have some built-in ambience. Still, you can fiddle with some very small room reverb (less than 500 ms of decay) mixed in for air. It's hard to mask a drum machines with a mix that open. I'd recommend looking into a sampler type solution, hardware or software, and some decent samples.
      Homebrew CD reviews at LoveLaborMusic.com
      My musical adventures
      The Drum Programming tutorial
      Stuff for sale/trade

Comment

Thanks guys. My ultimate solution will be to mic actual drums. However, at present the SR-16 is the piece of equipment I have, so I'm trying to get the most out of it.

Comment

bullpencoach, I have miked my monitors before when I was using a drum machine. It has been a few years since I used that technique, but as I recall it sounded more airy to me and less like a drum machine. Try it and see if you like that sound. I think I used a condenser about 3 to 5 feet from the monitors to pick up the sound of the room.

Comment

Working...
          X