X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis Monitor One and Alesis RA100 Poweramp

Are they any good? I have a friend willing to sell me his but I don't know a whole lot about monitors.

It isn't the Alesis Monitor One MKII btw.

I'm just looking for something that will make my EQing and mixing more accurate. Stereo speakers just won't cut it anymore.

Thanks.

yes they are very good. the good thing about that set up is that you can always upgrade to better monitors and save a ton of scrilla because youd be buying passives. get em.
    I got bored..

Comment

The RA-100's aren't very good. I've owned one for years (actually my second one), but now it's in a pile of rubble destined for trading in. I recommend powered monitors - I just kept the RA-100 for powering my Leslie and/or guitar cabinets. A most annoying feature is the loud acoustic hum from the transformer. Also, they all seem to have a faint but annoying AC hum on one side. This changes depending on the gain controls. You won't notice it in a noisy room, but in a quiet studio it's a bummer. I actually bought a Linn hi-fi amp to replace it, and that is in a totally different league: virtually silent and musical sounding. Hi-fi amp design appear to be much more sophisticated ($ for $) than the gear that's marketed for PA or home studios. Probably economies of scale and much more serious competition. You do need good monitor speakers though, because there is a basic different design philosophy between hifi and studio monitoring: flattery of well compressed commercially mastered audio vs critical fault-finding of dangerously uncompressed material.

Comment

Alesis makes *some* great gear - notably the ADAT, the HD24, and the Masterlink........ and they also make some awful stuff - monitors and power amps........
        bruce valeriani - mix engineer
        recording articles
        blue bear sound recording studios

There are 2 components to Audio Engineering -
        The first is understanding signal flow... the second is all about what you hear...

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Bear Sound
          Alesis makes *some* great gear - notably the ADAT, the HD24, and the Masterlink........ and they also make some awful stuff - monitors and power amps........

I agree completely.

Comment

I bought monitor ones when they where all the rage 7 years ago. They worked great for me at the time. Now I see they lie to me in bass frequencies. If I had more money (I'd put it into my PA, but that's another thread) I'd buy the M1 Actives. They erally are a lot better.

The old monitors ones really aren't that bad, but the bass is a bit floppy. I tend to mix bass heavy because I play bass too, so grain of salt there. The RA 100 amp isn't anything special but you'll need to power them somehow. I use a stewart PA50B myself. I wouldn't pay more than 250 bucks for the whole set up anyway, you can buy M1 actives for 400/pr.

pete
            www.rock-bot.com
            Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

M1s do the job well IMHO. After a while you learn your monitors flaws and mix accordingly Try to get the room you're mixing in acoustically treated as well, that helps a lot.
              www.pronoise.com

www.myspace.com/osmanburak

Comment

Unless they are the same price as a Big Mac and fries, I would pass. There way too many current economical solutions out there to be buying the 1992 economical solution. Buyer beware.
                Daily objectifying a subjective interpretation

Comment

Originally posted by vintageman
                  Unless they are the same price as a Big Mac and fries, I would pass. There way too many current economical solutions out there to be buying the 1992 economical solution. Buyer beware.

Any chance you'd like to clue me into some of these current economical solutions?

Comment

I use an RA-100 and Monitor Ones and am happy with the setup. I don't get hum/noise (I am careful about cable routing and grounding).

As with any setup you need to listen to your mix on as many different systems as possible and remix to get results that sound pretty good everywhere. My impression is that the One's have a somewhat rolled off but clear bass end leaving my mixes prone to being a little muddy on systems with more bass (like my living room stereo) so I tend to mix a little light on bass knowing it will be heavier elsewhere.

If you can get 'em for a good price I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.

Comment

Yorkville YSMP's, one of M-Audio's powered monitors, Blue Sky's (and the list goes on and on)

Almost every manufacturer makes a lower end powered monitor that sounds equal to or better than the Monitor One and RA amp. There are threads here at HC covering this topic thoroughly.
                      Daily objectifying a subjective interpretation

Comment

Working...
                      X