Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative ways to integrate an ADAT, Mbox and Tascam Reel-to-reel 8-track?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative ways to integrate an ADAT, Mbox and Tascam Reel-to-reel 8-track?

I was looking at gear on Ebay and someone seling their Blackface ADAT recommended using the ADAT's optical interface to use up to 16 tracks at a time on a 001 or 002.

"GOOD FOR A ADAT OPTICAL INTERFACE TO USE UP TO 16 TRACKS AT A TIME ON A DIGIDESIGN DIGI 001 OR DIGI 002"

That reminded me that I've been trying to find a use for all the gear I have.
    I have a Blackface ADAT, a Tascam TSR-8, and a Powerbook with an Mbox. I'm recording my band which is a Radiohead/Jane's Addiction'ish sounding band.

Aside from tracking the drums to the analog 8-track and then dropping them into Pro Tools, I haven't done much in the way of integrating my equipment.

Any ideas?

thats a similar setup to what i have, except i record everything to tape and then dump it all through my m-box onto my laptop.

i cant think of anyway to integrate that stuff though at the moment.

i got a question though, ive got an offer for a good condition TSR-8 for a fair price. how do you like yours? ive heard good things, that they are one of the best reel to reels in their class.

Comment

I LOVE the TSR-8! It's my second one. I had one years ago, sold it(dumb) and then missed it badly and bought another off of Ebay. If it had more tracks I'd throw my Mbox in the toilet.

I paid $400 or $450 for my TSR-8 and that's about what I always see them go for. So, if it's in good condition, I'd highly recommend it.

Question for you. Do you record more than two tacks to tape and dump it into to the Mbox? How do you line it all up? So far, I record drums on 6-tracks and then mix it to two and record that into Pro Tools. Then everything else is recorded directly into PT. I'd like to find a way to bring in all 8-tracks without having to get a 002.

Comment

i use different methods for different songs it all depends. lately i havent been dumping onto my computer all that much.

one thing i sometimes do is record on all 8 tracks, mix down to whatever it may be, minidisk or something else, then go back and have the rest of the tracks open for overdubbing. i rarely ever need more than those 8 tracks though. i dont know if this is a professional way to do this, but whatever, it works for me and i get good results. i usually record drums in mono (!) so my situation is easier than yours.

ever think of cutting out the computer and protools entirely and getting a 16/24 track 1 or 2 inch reel to reel? That way you would have all the tracks you need without the need for jugging between formats. i hope to get one of those eventually, when i can afford it.

basically you want to have each drum track in protools, rather than a stereo drum mix, right? i honestly dont know if that is possible with an m-box.

hmmm i really am an amateur recordist, so maybe someone with more experience can help ya out here.

anyone?

Comment

"ever think of cutting out the computer and protools entirely and getting a 16/24 track 1 or 2 inch reel to reel? That way you would have all the tracks you need without the need for jugging between formats."

Absolutely. I'd do it today if I had the money. I think I could get by with a 16-track. I recorded on a 16 -track at a friends house once and it was beautiful. I don't enjoy the computer much at all.

Comment

well, i tell ya, now is a great time to get one of these bad boys.

with the advent of cheap, mass-produced digital gear, you can find these monsters for a GREAT price. people just dont want the hassle of tape anymore which works out for those of us who just cant sit in front of a computer and make music.

oh man i would like a 2 inch machine so bad... you get the natural compression and tape saturation of analog with the signal/noise ratio of digital. and after all, thats really why everybody likes digital, cuz of that. that and ease of editing.

Comment

Working...
            X