X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Recording vs. Live Recording

I have recently started the whole "Home Studio" thing. I have started recording "track style" (one instrument/voice at a time). However, it takes forever, and I believe the finished recording doesn't sound as good as our band playing the song live.

So now I'm considering the "live recording" style. However, since I have about a dozen mics in use, the bleed-through of sound from one instrument to another mic is unavoidable. My question is: How do you work with this? Do you attempt to isolate the sound? Am I correct in assuming that eliminating bleed-through is impossible???

I will attach some pictures of my Basement/studio. Not sure if it'll help, but it shouldn't hurt.

Mark? Harvey?

Pic #2

Comment

Pic #3

Comment

Any suggestions to improve the studio are welcomed also...

Comment

Gosh, um...

I'd start with some Bass Traps, and some gobo's for around the drum set...

Is that carpet on the walls?
          Dimensions of the room? HxWxL?
          <div class="signaturecontainer">mmm... Yes, that sounds good!</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenvoice
            Gosh, um...

I'd start with some Bass Traps, and some gobo's for around the drum set...

Is that carpet on the walls?
            Dimensions of the room? HxWxL?

Bass Traps??? Gobos???

No, it's just painted Drywall. I have sound proofing plans, but haven't had the time to do it yet.

My basement is very funky shaped (similar to a tri-level basement). The studio are is about 20W x 10D x 7H (I can get accurate dimentions later today), but there is a couple of funky-shaped open areas connecting to the "studio" area.

Thanks for the reply, by the way...

Comment

With your set=up,it probably will be hard to eliminate bleed through. How many different instruments at once. Putting up some gobo's ( kinda a sound absorbing divider) to seperate each instrument. Close mic all the amps and as much of the drums as you can. And put up a room mic if ypur room sounds any good.

Good luck
              <div class="signaturecontainer">www.purevolume.com/andyshauf<br />
              www.purevolume.com/captain<br />
              www.purevolume.com/means</div>

Comment

Originally posted by caroncrest
                How many different instruments at once.

2 Elec. Guitars* (amps)
                1 K-board (Directly to the PA/Mixer)
                4 Vocal Mics
                6 Drum Mics (3 toms, 1 BD, 1 sn/hh, and 1 overhead)
                1 Bass (presently directly to the PA/Mixer)

*Sometimes songs have 1 elec. guitar (amp) and 1 acou. guitar (directly to the PA/Mixer)

Comment

I take it you have all got together and played in this space?

What did you hear?

You are not going to be able to completely seperate the tracks, but some well placed sound absorption will give you a little control. Bleed in a single room is a reality.

Read up on acoustics at Ethan's site, or simply do some Google searches for things like "bass trap" or "helmholtz absorber". You'll need to deaden the room fairly substantially, with out going totally overboard. Close micing helps. Gobos around the drum kit - a nessesity.

Look in your phone book for used office supply, and ask about office dividers / cubicle panels... MUST be compressed fiberglass. Some are wonderful self standing gobos, waiting for a home...

Everest "Master Handbook of Acoustics" is a VERY worthwhile read - get a copy...

Goldenvoice
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">mmm... Yes, that sounds good!</div>

Comment

Question:

Do you want to completely eliminate bleedthrough - - ?

Depending on a multitude of things, I've found that some bleed through on some of the instruments is not necessarily a bad thing, and can actually help retain that "live feel". Depends on the circumstances and the amount of bleed through - - I'd guess you don't want so much that you have trouble EQ'ing the individual tracks.

Also, sound baffles, such as plexi-glass can work, for example for helping to isolate drums and amps. If you are worried about resonance from the plexi, perhaps you can use a bit of acoustic foam, or pillows, or comforters, or towels, or whatever, on the inside of the plexi . . . ??????????

Gutter Pup

Comment

I usually prefer a "live" recording of a band to start with, then overdub anything that's not working. With a room that size though, I would probably track separately. If you have headphones for the band, you can still get that cohesiveness of when you play together. Simply bus everything into headphones... keys and bass direct, guitars through POD's or something similar, and go through the songs. The goal is to nail the rhythm... record the bass and drums. This way everyone plays at once and you get the feel you're after, but there's no bleed into the drum mics. Now go back and add the guitar and vocal parts. This works great for rock/pop/metal... anything like blues/jazz I always try to track live (but in a rented room 45'x60' with a 20' ceiling).
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;That's a matter of opinion. Like &quot;a supermodel is less attractive than a sore-infested, poo-covered morbidly obese bald chick&quot; is a matter of opinion.&quot; <br />
                      - Audacity Works<br />
                      <br />
                      &quot;Ain't nobody ever walked down the street humming the sound of a microphone... it's all about 'the music'.&quot;<br />
                      -Fletcher</div>

Comment

Working...
                      X