Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Looking for basic instructions for API 512C/Lunchbox...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for basic instructions for API 512C/Lunchbox...

Hello,

I have woken up and won the lottery...the "luck" lottery anyway. A friend has loaned me an API Lunchbox with (4) 512c MicPres, and (2) 500 Series EQ modules, along with (2) AKG 414's and (1) Sennheiser 421.

I've Googled trying to find some basic info on using this glorious piece of gear, but found nothing. Is it as simple as plugging into the pre's and heaven awaits?

Can anyone point me to some info on how to use this to the greatest benefit as a front end to my 002?

Thanks in advance.

It's pretty self-explanatory, really. XLR out of the API into the 002; just make sure to select "line" on the 002 channel. Set the gain all either to unity, or all the way off on the 002 as well.

The 414's require phantom power (labeled 48v on the API), the 421 does not.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">-Chris Graff<br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.audioinstruction.com" target="_blank">Russ Long's Guide to Nashville Recording</a></div>

Comment

So far I'm kind of bummed. For all the wonderful things I hear about expensive mic-pre's, API's in particular, there's barely a noticeable difference between going direct into the 002 or hitting the API first.

Granted, I haven't gotten to recording acoustic guitar or vocals yet, but it made no difference on drums and a tiny and underwhelming difference on electric guitars.

Shouldn't I be poopin' my pants about how great it sounds?

Comment

no offense, but just because you have good gear doesn't mean you're going to automatically get a killer sound.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;When I say be skeptical of everything I mean it. Just because someone was elected to do a job doesn't mean that person has any idea of what they're doing.&quot;- Sen. Bob Kerry<br />
        <br />
        &quot;When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.&quot; --Hunter S. Thompson<br />
        <br />
        &quot;Never rock the mic with the pantyhose&quot;-MCA</div>

Comment

No offense taken.

I understand what you're getting at. Here's the deal, I've gotten really, really good results without any good mics or mic-pres. Maybe that's why it's hard for me to get something that's a noticable improvement.

We're already working with great parts, great tones and great performances, I was just expecting a pretty drastic difference and I'm not hearing it.

Comment

Bypass the 002 pres completely. Insert the signal directly to disc, you will hear what you have been missing.
            First time I heard the lunchbox 512 on a guitar rig I did want to ****************.
            If you have gotten "really really good results' with run of the mill mics and low-end pres then I would suspect you will get fabulous results with the API / AKG combo if you are using it for the right thing (Acoustics, overheads etc.)

However...that 5-10% diference can be subtle if you aren't used to it. The real differences happen when you lay a few tracks together and see how they are all stacking. A great mic / pre combo will usually stack well.

P&B,
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">&quot;Most of our energy goes into upholding our importance...If we were capable of losing some of that importance we would free our energy from trying to maintain the illusory idea of our grandeur... and we would provide ourselves with enough energy to catch a glimpse of the actual grandeur of the universe&quot;...</font></div>

Comment

I have a lunchbox with 4/512Cs and I think it sounds awesome. It could be that you're just not hearing the differences right now between it and what you're used to using. Lynn Fuston has written that after hearing his mic preamp CD, some people tell him that all the tracks sound the same; you could be experiencing a similar thing - I bet over time you'll start hearing differences, at which point you'll be amazed you never noticed those same differences earlier.

-Rick

Comment

Perhaps it's a subtle difference we'll notice as we start stacking guitars.

The lunchbox also has two EQ strips. I don't understand if I'm supposed to run through them seperate from the mic pre's? They just have XLR in's and out's on the back, same as the pre's. Are they internally linked to the pre's?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene

First time I heard the lunchbox 512 on a guitar rig I did want to ****************.
                  If you have gotten "really really good results' with run of the mill mics and low-end pres then I would suspect you will get fabulous results with the API / AKG combo if you are using it for the right thing (Acoustics, overheads etc.)

However...that 5-10% diference can be subtle if you aren't used to it. The real differences happen when you lay a few tracks together and see how they are all stacking. A great mic / pre combo will usually stack well.

P&B,

Ditto!! After stacking alot of tracks you should be able to hear a not so subtle difference.. Your tracks will start to have that "something" thats been missing as long as the sound is right at the source.

API= highly recommended!!

Kevin
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="http://www.eagleridgerecording.com" target="_blank">www.eagleridgerecording.com</a></div>

Comment

Excellent. I'm on my way to the studio now to do just this.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

the eq's aren't linked to the pre's. if you want to use one while tracking just take the output of a mic pre and plug it into the input to the eq, then the eq out to the A/D converter.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;When I say be skeptical of everything I mean it. Just because someone was elected to do a job doesn't mean that person has any idea of what they're doing.&quot;- Sen. Bob Kerry<br />
                      <br />
                      &quot;When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.&quot; --Hunter S. Thompson<br />
                      <br />
                      &quot;Never rock the mic with the pantyhose&quot;-MCA</div>

Comment

Working...
                      X