No announcement yet.

powerbook G4 1.67mhz not good enough?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powerbook G4 1.67mhz not good enough?

Recording up to 8 tracks at once (I haven't tried more) with my powerbook running protools seems to be no problem, though I need to do it with a hardware buffer size of 1024 and a CPU usage limit of 99%.

I feel sure this hardware should get results with a smaller buffer...

It's a new (as of dec '05) powerbook (1.67ghz), pro tools LE 6.9.2, 1GB of RAM (the new stuff), a seagate 7200RPM external HDD drive I've borrowed, which doesn't seem to make it much better than recording to the system disk.

My real problem, though, is that I can't even put a 4 band EQ on every track, let alone any reverbs or compression, etc. Shouldn't I be able to do that?

When I do, the computer pretty much always locks up and says:

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in the playback engine panel.

Which, of course, I have done to the maximum I can.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Also, is there a checklist of things to do to your mac to make it run as well as it can.

I felt sure when I bought this gear that I should have no real problems with cpu/HHD/memory issues. Was I wrong?
    http://www.superkings.org

Originally posted by djwrighty
    Recording up to 8 tracks at once (I haven't tried more) with my powerbook running protools seems to be no problem, though I need to do it with a hardware buffer size of 1024 and a CPU usage limit of 99%.

I feel sure this hardware should get results with a smaller buffer...

It's a new (as of dec '05) powerbook (1.67ghz), pro tools LE 6.9.2, 1GB of RAM (the new stuff), a seagate 7200RPM external HDD drive I've borrowed, which doesn't seem to make it much better than recording to the system disk.

My real problem, though, is that I can't even put a 4 band EQ on every track, let alone any reverbs or compression, etc. Shouldn't I be able to do that?

When I do, the computer pretty much always locks up and says:

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in the playback engine panel.

Which, of course, I have done to the maximum I can.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Also, is there a checklist of things to do to your mac to make it run as well as it can.

I felt sure when I bought this gear that I should have no real problems with cpu/HHD/memory issues. Was I wrong?

Lotsa tracks on PB
    "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Hmm. Powerbook isn't in energy-saving half power mode, is it? I was using mine this morning and had around that many plugins going for a little while, and mine's an older, slower model with less RAM. My main recording computer is an old single processor G4, 867mhz with 1.5G RAM, and I've only once hit the wall on it. That said - I usually do all in my very limited powers to avoid needing EQ across that many channels.

Comment

my 1ghz powerbook with 1.5gb ram can only do maybe one vsti and 2 vst effects a compressor and a reverb before it starts to hit the wall..

im sick of it. if i werent so broke right now id sell it and buy one of these with the processor bumped to a 2.26 pentium M.

maybe by the time i have some money again the dual core yonah powerbooks will be through rev B.

Comment

Originally posted by flukewurm
          my 1ghz powerbook with 1.5gb ram can only do maybe one vsti and 2 vst effects a compressor and a reverb before it starts to hit the wall...
          Hmm... I've gotten 32 instances of EXS24...

Or 8 EXS24s, 2 Absynths, 3 Stylus RMXs (or 2 RMXs and a Trilogy), 1 Buzzer, 2 Crystals, 2 Battery 2s, 16 Channel EQs (set to low-cut only), a handful of compressors, a tape delay, 4 BitCrushers, and a half-assed reverb or two...

...on a 667MHz G4 running Logic. What's up with your Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by The Audacity Works

Or 8 EXS24s, 2 Absynths, 3 Stylus RMXs (or 2 RMXs and a Trilogy), 1 Buzzer, 2 Crystals, 2 Battery 2s, 16 Channel EQs (set to low-cut only), a handful of compressors, a tape delay, 4 BitCrushers, and a half-assed reverb or two...

you think i should call applecare? are there any hardware diagnostics tools that you know of? once upon a time i had logic installed and it kept bugging me about my processor performance being set to reduced.. when all along under system pref its set at highest.

otherwise.. i wish i knew what was up.

Comment

Originally posted by flukewurm
              otherwise.. i wish i knew what was up.
              Lessee... I custom-loaded Tiger (no OS9 partition) from scratch with no extra drivers or languages installed. 1GB of RAM. Nothing fancy, Logic Pro 7.1.1 with the latest version of ProApp Updater. No Microsoft software, run DiskWarrior every once in a while... No instanciations of SpaceDesigner or Altiverb (or Reaktor!).

Also followed a few of the suggestions in that really good EM article last year about optimizing OSX for audio. Have since forgotten what I've done. Worth tracking down.

Comment

hmm sounds like a setting problem. i dotn know mac but i had the same thing on my windows not using asio drivers. so i think its a setting

Comment

nah... i setup cubase on my girls mac G5 w/ 1.2GB ram.. i think the cpu is like a 1.6 or faster... I did 5 or 6 tracks in 24/96 with a few vst effects and I maxed it out already. POS. I can do 8-10 tracks on my athlon 1700XP with a vst or 2 on each track and get away with it if I'm careful.
                  APPLE = POS for the money.. not worth it.

Comment

swill777, that doesn't sound right even though SX is the worst performing DAW on Mac. it must be your setup because I'm doing sessions of 32-48 tracks on my 1GHz Powerbook using the cpu freindly Logic.

G-Dub
                    www.studiog-fx.com
                    15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
                    OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

hmm, baffling, i do 10-12 (all ive tried/needed) tracks that i can load with effects on my old refurbished powerbook g4, the 1ghz model with 768mb of ram.

i dont have to push the buffer settings to 1024 either.

there must be something wrong

Comment

Originally posted by The Audacity Works

Same setup here,with similar results.
                        With all the CPU hogs frozen of course.
                        I realy wish I could have just a little more power too experiment with space designer .
                        listening, making, using, abusing, loving, hating, smelling, eating, and sexing MUSIC

Pushing sonic boundrys

http://www.myspace.com/seldivision

Comment

Working...
                        X