X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samson Ribbon Mic VR88?

This whole inexpensive ribbon mic thing has peaked my interest! Any thoughts on this one? I've been thinking about a Beyer m130 or the Nady rsm2.

here's the info on the samson:
    http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1903&brandID=2

Take a look at the Heil ribbon.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<b>&quot;Record companies and broadcasters ... have long since abdicated their cultural responsibility.&quot; - Donald Clarke</b>

</div>
    </div>
    </div> </div>

Comment

Heil doesn't make a ribbon...their Classic-series microphones are dynamic microphones in RCA ribbon-style bodies. Not that that's a bad thing...I haven't tried them, but I've used their PR-series microphones and they're pretty impressive...but they're not making a ribbon right now.

-Duardo

Comment

those heil mics look really interesting! is one of the classic series more ribbony than another? they definitely have the looks!

Comment

looks ok but the one ribbon mic that actually sounds great in that price range is the apex210. i love mine and use it on anything and everything. sounds near perfect with guitar cabs even when run through my crappy 60$ behringer tube pre. definentally worth the money. that is the way to go imho, not this samson stuff. and the slp on the apex in 165, if you ever need to get a nice recording of a jet engine.

It's easier to find chicks at a gay bar than at a Rush concert. - elsongs

</div>
          </div>
          </div> in the end when it's all said and done, we were really just having fun</div>

Comment

hat is the way to go imho, not this samson stuff.

Have you heard the Samson?

-Duardo

Comment

I've heard great stuff about the samson so far. People seemed to like it at NAMM. I'd really like to pick one up to try out, but I'd like to hear a little more feedback first. I just hope it's not too noisy.

Comment

I have the Nady RSM2 which I modified by taking out all of the windscreen stuff.

Sound AWESOME. A little "soft" on some vocalists, but perfect for people with strident voices. Very natural sounding. Also awesome on acoustice guitars. Stacks well.

Looked at the Samson, but the nady was so much cheaper that it made more sense as an experiment. I may well pick up a pair of apex 205's to modify for overheads.

Comment

This whole inexpensive ribbon mic thing has peaked my interest! Any thoughts on this one? I've been thinking about a Beyer m130 or the Nady rsm2.

here's the info on the samson:
                  http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1903&brandID=2

Only down side about ribbons over time they'll stretch out beyond use and you'll have to invest in a new one but usually takes a few years.

Comment

Have you heard the Samson?

-Duardo

haha no, sorry i'm just being narrow minded, although i have heard good things about them

It's easier to find chicks at a gay bar than at a Rush concert. - elsongs

</div>
                    </div>
                    </div> in the end when it's all said and done, we were really just having fun</div>

Comment

Working...
                    X