Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best inexpensive ribbon mic?

I'm looking to snag a cheap ribbon to play with live - small high-end lounge jobs - Frank, Perry, Bing, Pat - I've used my Reslo a few times, and loved it, but won't be singing to it again - as I've been warned against it.

So, of the Ribbons - say, under $200 used or new, what is a good bet?

Octava - Cascade - EH ???
    (didn't Apex make one for awhile?) (was it Audix?)

G
    mmm... Yes, that sounds good!

I am not aware of a ribbon mic that cheap that isn't a cheap chineese one.

That being said I would love to see what people suggest.
    www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

I think for $200 or less, it won't be about what folks "recommend", but rather what is available.. And as far as I know, that pretty much narrows the field to cheap Chinese ribbon mics.

Maybe a used Nady ribbon?
      Mark
      "Do that again....Open your mouth and make your face disappear"..

Comment

Crowley and Tripp make a not-Chinese ribbon that can be had for not a lot more. I got mine for under $500.
        ex-senior member of the stars

Comment

Electro-Harmonix EH-R1 Ribbon (russian) any better than the $150 chinese stuff?

If so, how?
          mmm... Yes, that sounds good!

Comment

check out the shiny box ribbon mics. i heard they are a steal for the money ($150-$300).
            www.yellowbananaproductions.com
            www.myspace.com/yellowbananaproductions

Comment

I highly recommend Shiny Box too, but let's face it, you probably want this to look cool more than you want it to sound good. Check out the Cascade line of mics. They make a bunch of great looking ribbons on the cheap side.

Ken
              Check out my music here:

http://kni.songhole.org
              http://www.abandonedloverecords.com

Comment

The Apex 205 ribbon mic through Full Compass is the current "best deal on the planet", at around $82. Great sounding mic for the bucks. Easily modded too if you're into tinkering.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/316742.html
                My band "The Executives" website : TheExecutivesMusic.com

Comment

Every cheap ribbon mic that somebody has brought over to my place has been noisy.
                  =========+=========+=========+=========+========+= =====
                  Originally Posted by braif

We need a multi-linqual international special STFU liaison officer around here

Comment

Every cheap ribbon mic that somebody has brought over to my place has been noisy.

Since most ribbon mics are pretty low output devices, noise issues are more related to the preamp than the mic IMHO, since you've got to crank up the gain so much. At least this has been my experience. I was tracking some harmony vocals with my $82 Apex 205 yesterday (which was going through a Joe Meek 3Q pre), and had no noise problems with this combination. FWIW - YMMV.
                    My band "The Executives" website : TheExecutivesMusic.com

Comment

I have a Nady that I modified by taking all the wind dampening material out.

One of the best acoustic guitar and vocal mics I have. Not great in dense mixes, but if its a an acoustic group, those mics are very 3 dimensional and musical. Especially with the mod.

Comment

The Apex 205 ribbon mic through Full Compass is the current "best deal on the planet", at around $82. Great sounding mic for the bucks. Easily modded to if you're into tinkering.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/316742.html

Add another 150$ for a mod on this apex 205 and you got yourself a awesome ribbon mic. The mod cosist of replacicing the transformer also they have one for the SM57 that replaces the transformer it's the new trend now since micpre trend is competing with mic sales. A modded mic is way better because your actually gonna hear how ****************ing bad you micpre sucks anyway.

Comment

I'm about to pull the trigger on something like this too. I've been researching and it seems that the best low priced option (going by popular opinion and not personal experience which of course can be skewed a little by people repeating things like this on forums) is the Shinybox 46 with a replaced transformer and the blast protection pieces removed.

I have also heard about the apex with the same mods, which sounds like it'd be nice as well. I'm not sure whether the extra $100 for the shinybox is going to make a difference. Let's face it at this price it's not going to be a Royer so you might as well take cost into consideration as well. Does anybody have any experience with one or both of these mics with the mods?

Comment

I'm about to pull the trigger on something like this too. I've been researching and it seems that the best low priced option (going by popular opinion and not personal experience which of course can be skewed a little by people repeating things like this on forums) is the Shinybox 46 with a replaced transformer and the blast protection pieces removed.

I have also heard about the apex with the same mods, which sounds like it'd be nice as well. I'm not sure whether the extra $100 for the shinybox is going to make a difference. Let's face it at this price it's not going to be a Royer so you might as well take cost into consideration as well. Does anybody have any experience with one or both of these mics with the mods?

It won't make a difference. The shinybox, nady, and apex (and others) are the same mic from the same manufacturer. there are differences in headbasket shape, but once you remove the blast protection, this basically amounts to a bubble of screen-door material, so there aren't a whole lot of weird reflections going on in there anyway, so it doesn't make a difference.

My advice would be go with the cheapest one and do the mods yourself. the blast protection stuff is easy, and once you have the thing open you'll realize how little there is to these things. Its basically the ribbon motor, a couple of wires, a transformer, and a jack. Actually, thats all it is.

Just be careful with the ribbon motor. And for gods, sake, don't drop it.

Comment

My understanding is that that Jon at Shinybox opens up each mic and retentions the ribbon to improve response and sound. Please don't think everyone gets the excact same mic off the same truck and passes them on to the customer.
                              Check out my music here:

http://kni.songhole.org
                              http://www.abandonedloverecords.com

Comment

Working...
                              X