X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaper vs Cubase?

Hi,

Right now I am still using Cubase LE and I'm considering upgrading to a higher version of Cubase (Cubase SE/SX/SL or Cubase Studio4).

Then I read about this shareware software called Reaper.

To those who are/were using this software: would you recommend it?
    Would it be a serious alternative for Cubase?

Pro's / Con's?

Thanks !
    Lars
    my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

check out my EP 'Sonic Sketches'

No dongle and you can set up a remote VST-processing network without having to buy multiple copies of the program (I've got 3 PCs running on my home network with it for FREE).

All sequencers do the same basic thing. If Reaper fits into your workflow (and you can try it for FREE to see if it does) then YOU need to decide if you want to switch.

I haven't used SE or NTrack since I made the switch....
    Tim O'Brien

Comment

No dongle and you can set up a remote VST-processing network without having to buy multiple copies of the program (I've got 3 PCs running on my home network with it for FREE).

All sequencers do the same basic thing. If Reaper fits into your workflow (and you can try it for FREE to see if it does) then YOU need to decide if you want to switch.

I haven't used SE or NTrack since I made the switch....

Thanks !

So, you switched from Cubase to Reaper?
      Was there anything that Cubase did and Reaper couldn't do?
      Or was switching to Reaper a 100% win situation?

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Comment

cubase vs reaper? the whole thing was just hashed out at gs

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/143565-cubase-vs-reaper.html

reaper is something like two years old at this point and just amazing.

no bloat
        no crashes
        not buggy
        amazing support
        great forum if you're looking for help
        many skins for a personalized look
        many of the plugs are outstanding
        over 100 updates per year (not one or two)
        best routing of any daw
        three layers of zplane elastique
        and you can edit audio at least twice as fast as in cubendo
        and $50

'base has the edge if you're really deep into midi (but reap has made some big improvements in just the last few months there too) so, yeah, switching to it makes a hell of a lot of sense.
        THE MOTHERSHIP

http://psychopompos.org

LISTEN!

http://www.reverbnation.com/infiniteego

Comment

cubase vs reaper? the whole thing was just hashed out at gs

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/143565-cubase-vs-reaper.html

reaper is something like two years old at this point and just amazing.

no bloat
          no crashes
          not buggy
          amazing support
          great forum if you're looking for help
          many skins for a personalized look
          many of the plugs are outstanding
          over 100 updates per year (not one or two)
          best routing of any daw
          three layers of zplane elastique
          and you can edit audio at least twice as fast as in cubendo
          and $50

'base has the edge if you're really deep into midi (but reap has made some big improvements in just the last few months there too) so, yeah, switching to it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Thanks !

What do you mean by Cubase has the edge with regard to MIDI?
          Are Reaper's MIDI options inferioir to Cubase's?
          Does Reaper have like a MIDI-editor that I could use for programming drum beats?

Comment

Thanks !

What do you mean by Cubase has the edge with regard to MIDI?
            Are Reaper's MIDI options inferioir to Cubase's?
            Does Reaper have like a MIDI-editor that I could use for programming drum beats?

well, reap used to be relatively weak on the midi side but has been making up a lot of ground. you can pretty much do whatever you want with it by now

keep in mind, almost all daws started out as midi software and added digital audio later

reap (and if I'm not mistaken, SAW) started out as audio recording and editing software and developed the midi side later.

for me, reap does way more midi then I'll ever use becuase I record drum kits and real instruments.

but reap seems fine for most guys from what I can tell at the reaper forum

check it out.
            THE MOTHERSHIP

http://psychopompos.org

LISTEN!

http://www.reverbnation.com/infiniteego

Comment

well, reap used to be relatively weak on the midi side but has been making up a lot of ground. you can pretty much do whatever you want with it by now

keep in mind, almost all daws started out as midi software and added digital audio later

reap (and if I'm not mistaken, SAW) started out as audio recording and editing software and developed the midi side later.

for me, reap does way more midi then I'll ever use becuase I record drum kits and real instruments.

but reap seems fine for most guys from what I can tell at the reaper forum

check it out.

Thank you !

I appreciate your input !

Yeah, great thing is, they let one use the full version for evaluation and decide after whether to buy or not ! A very fair policy !

Comment

I would love to give Saw a go if I had a PC. The mac version of Reaper is just not up to par with it's PC counterpart so switching for me has been a no go (I did try the program though).
                www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

You really have to try out Reaper; they've made it as easy as possible by allowing you to run it with no demo restrictions...just install, start using it and buy it later after you realize how great it is.

And you will realize this.

Also on the Reaper site are some great video tutorials,get you going in no time.And the Reaper Forums are excellent if you need help or want some cool tips.

Comment

You really have to try out Reaper; they've made it as easy as possible by allowing you to run it with no demo restrictions...just install, start using it and buy it later after you realize how great it is.

And you will realize this.

Also on the Reaper site are some great video tutorials,get you going in no time.And the Reaper Forums are excellent if you need help or want some cool tips.

Thanks ! I will give it a try !

Comment

I fully support Reaper. First of all there product is very cheap and they always help you when you need their help.

Their forum is great and they have a chat room that usually resolves any issue you have.

I've used Cakewalk, Audacity, Ableton and Reaper.

I am very pleased with Reaper at the time and plan on staying with it.

Comment

Another vote for Reaper. It solved my "What the heck can I run with Vista" problem. It's also wildly intuitive.
                        Looking to buy a tube preamp - maybe a Marshall JMP-1, maybe a Triaxis, etc. PMs me.

Comment

Thanks guys !

I will download it for trial and check it out this weekend (hopefully).

How about MIDI with Reaper?
                          Can I program drums in like a MIDI-grid (piano roll) with it?

Comment

Thanks guys !

I will download it for trial and check it out this weekend (hopefully).

How about MIDI with Reaper?
                            Can I program drums in like a MIDI-grid (piano roll) with it?

Yes, you can.

Comment

Yes, you can.

Awesome !

I hope it's MIDI grid is not like the Cubase LE piano roll, cuz I find that one rather hard to work with.

Anyway, I got enough positive opinions ! thanks everyone !

Now all I need to do is download the free trial version of it and check it out !

Comment

Working...
                              X