Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emulating the dolby a effect

A lot of wonderful records from back in the day used this effect where they would record with the dolby A on and play back with it off. This gets that really airy and compressed vocal sound on queen records; I heard it was used on the early doors albums too. It's just such a classic sound! (note: I know freddie mercury was a great singer, I know the box wasn't singing for him!)

I was wondering if it would be possible to achieve a similar result using multiband compression, an exciter, eq? If the multiband would work, I wonder what frequencies would be good to focus on and what kind of attack, release, and ratio settings would be closest to those used in the dolby?

This would be a neat effect to make a convolusion of!!! I have seen that focusrite have modled this effect into their new "voicemaster" box. They are calling it "vintage harmonics". Also, looking around the web, many people buy the old units and circuitbend them to suit this purpose.

I know the only true guide is using your ears and experimenting; a little knowledge and comparing notes isn't such a bad thing though! Granted, no time spend experimenting and learning is time wasted; but sharing ideas can be so inspring!

here's a sound on sound article that makes mention of the technique : http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jun02/articles/queensurround.asp

Years ago there was this Dolby Plugin I used in Cubase.
    If I could only recall the name of it.
    Don't Eat The Yellow Snow.Don't Eat The Yellow Snow.

Comment

I just found this. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for though.
      http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com./

Just noticed that you're looking for Dolby "A". This is for Dolby "E" and "Pro Logic II."

Mike
      BLACK AND WHITE ARE ALL I SEE IN MY INFANCY...RED AND YELLOW THAN CAME TO BE..REACHING OUT TO ME..LETS ME SEE...THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAT BECKONS ME..LOOKING THROUGH TO THESE..INFINITE POSSIBILITIES........

Official Charter Member Of The Geezer Guild

Comment

Working...
      X