No announcement yet.

in ear vs standard headphones

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in ear vs standard headphones

i have some volume limitations when i record at home so headphones are always needed.
    currently i own a sennheiser "standard" hd457 but my plan is to upgrade. my doubt should i go for in-ear like the shure scl3 or m-audio ie20 or is better to keep the standard format with something like the yamaha rh10ms?

Personally, I always prefer "in-ear" headphones for tracking (never for mixing) because in my experience bleed is always a lot less (both from the headphones outwards, and sound coming into your ears from the outside world)

Hell of a lot cheaper than "over ear" for the same isolation too

Comment

I can't think of any reason to use in-ears for recording, they are for on-stage wireless monitors. The HD280s are pretty much the standard for closed end headphones used for recording. You could use a different headphone with more frequency response and less isolation for mixing, when you can't use live monitors. I use HD465s for mixing.

Comment

Not sure what your price range is, but a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's won't let you down. Ever. They are incredible headphones.
        "I'm hitting a lick for peace -- and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

- Duane Allman

Comment

Personally, I always prefer "in-ear" headphones for tracking (never for mixing) because in my experience bleed is always a lot less (both from the headphones outwards, and sound coming into your ears from the outside world)

Hell of a lot cheaper than "over ear" for the same isolation too

The best I ever got as far as getting things loud enough for a drummer was in ears and construction ear protection over those. There wasn't ANY bleed from the headphones AND I had them cranked up!
          www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

Did you have to tape them to his head a la Mixerman?
            Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I can't think of any reason to use in-ears for recording, they are for on-stage wireless monitors. .

They're very useful when used with the wireless belt pack. They give high fidelity, low leakage sound with no cords to deal with. They can have their own custom mix. The musicians can even go out back for a smoke while they're listening to their last take.

I use them in the studio a lot, especially when recording an entire band at once.

Terry D.
              Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Working...
              X