Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good mic for acoustic guitar in an ameteur home studio?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good mic for acoustic guitar in an ameteur home studio?

Pretty much what the title says.

I know nothing about mic's, having only used cheapies that came with PA systems, multitrack recorders, etc.

Most of my recording has been midi and electric guitars plugged directly into my DAW. I've so far included a mic'd acoustic guitar only as an ocassional minor backup part.

I'm now planning some projects though, in which the acoustic will have a much bigger role. This will include a Martin DM, and a Guild 12-string (I'm really looking forward to recording some of that!).

Below is the very modest layout in my spare bedroom space (including homemade acoustic panels), to get an idea of the sonic environment.

Lastly, no vocals, drums, or much of anything else are planned for the mic. Just acoustic guitar.

Oh -- and lastly-lastly -- this is a strictly ameteur application, so cost definitely matters. The one thing I actually do know about mic's is that you can sell the kids for them. I need something that will capture a sound worth listening to, but is also affordable.

So as always, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

This question has been asked A LOT. The search function on this forum sucks, but you might try it out.

As for my 2 cents...I like the Groove Tubes GT-67.
    *Video Drum Lessons

*Need to Know How to Register Your Copyrights for Your Band?

Comment

...I like the Groove Tubes GT-67.

I appreciate the steer, but $720 is several times out of my league.

Comment

Start here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227171
        *Video Drum Lessons

Comment

Start here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227171

Thanks. From there:

Mics by application
          Acoustic Guitar:

Under $100: MXL 603, Oktava MC-012

Under $700: AKG 451, Neumann KM-184

I'll check these out.

Comment

Quick recommendations:

Beyerdynamic MC-930s (I chose these and love them)
            Shure SM-81s (cheap and have been used by a lot of people over a long time)
            OktavaMod MK-012s (NOT the stock ones)
            Josephson C42 (these get a lot of love)
            The Signal Studio on MySpace

Download The Shapes's EP + 4 singles, FREE (I play drums in this band)
            Download Fist Of God's EP, FREE (I play guitar in this band)

Comment

......Shure SM-81s (cheap......

So $350 is considered cheap.....

OK -- fair enough. At least I know what I'm in for.

Comment

sm57

industry standard, brand new 80$.

Comment

Quick recommendations:

Shure SM-81s (cheap and have been used by a lot of people over a long time)

Not a bad option as they would do double duty for things like mic'ing hi hats or as drum overheads. 81's could also be used for live recording if you had some kind of mobile setup.
                  *Video Drum Lessons

Comment

Obviously "cheap" is a relative term.

There are some actually cheap mics that do a passable job on acoustic guitar.

The Naiant X-Q is under $50 and can sound pretty darn good on acoustic guitar. www.naiant.com and Samson C02 condensers are something like $120 a pair.

CAD makes a GXL 1200 condenser that does a passable job.

I have been buying older Audio Technica condenser mics when they show up on my local Craigslist. I recently got two ATM 10a mics for $50 and an ATM 11r for $20. Not amazing mics but more than worth what I paid and great utility mics for overheads, or live acoustic instruments..etc.

And for what it's worth, I had two SM81's and sold them. They just never seemed to be the right mic whenever I tried them.
                    Mark
                    "Do that again....Open your mouth and make your face disappear"..

Comment

The shure sm57 is an all around decent instrument mic.

for better ambience livliness as well as more money ($250-300) the heil pr30 or pr40 are pretty good recording mics.

Comment

Cheap
                        SM57
                        MXL 603
                        MXL 2003
                        Monthly Podcast: http://fuzzballrecordsradio.tk/

Or Quixotic Rage myspace info here

Band web page: http://JMBess.googlepages.com/home

Studio web page:http://JMBess.googlepages.com/fuzzballrecords

Great trades with: Stazinish, Silverring233, sirkonks, Facing Failure, yuantian, simplestargazer, Juan M, jcloud, and you can check my ebay account for more!

Comment

If you go the low output dynamic way (Shure SM57), make sure you have a high output, low noise mic preamp! I prefer the Audix i5 on acoustics (and voice) because it has more output but also a cleaner response in the lows and highs, a naturally scooped low midrange and a bit of a presence peak at the top end that stays smooth unlike the grainy SM57. Snare drum and really gritty electric guitars are just about the only things I really like the SM57 for.
                          The Signal Studio on MySpace

Download The Shapes's EP + 4 singles, FREE (I play drums in this band)
                          Download Fist Of God's EP, FREE (I play guitar in this band)

Comment

If you can afford around $230. The Rode NT1A is a good choice for acoustic guitar.
                            Best deals on recording
                            Gismo Studios: link
                            My original music on ReverbNation: link
                            Gismo Studios on ReverbNation: link
                            Islam is a much greater threat to the free world than Communism ever was. - Easy Listener

Comment

I'll say it again here : Shure beta 57a

Makes my Gurian sing . . .
                              an expert on what it feels like to be me
                              & you are who you google
                              http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

Working...
                              X