Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best condenser mic for vocals under $500???

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best condenser mic for vocals under $500???

What are some of the best quality condenser mics for vocal recording under $500? also might be using it to mic my strat and amp. i heard the Blue Bluebird was pretty good, ive also heard good things about a sterling model, i think the st55 or something like that. thanks
    OUTSTANDING deals: m_lap666

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanielMacTunes

Gear:
    Fender American Deluxe Strat
    Fender American Highway One Strat Sunburst
    Fender American Highway One Strat Black
    Taylor 310
    Martin OMJM
    Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12
    Fender Blues Jr.
    Peavey Classic-100 series 2x12 (original from 70s)
    Pedals: Maxon OD9 - Ethos OD - keeley fuzzhead - Maxon Carbon Copy - DL4 - FT DejaVibe - EH Chorus - EH Pog2

I recommend the sticky near the top of the forum:
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=227171
    check out my acoustic compositions here: myspace
    and here: soundclick

Comment

i checked there, unless im just blind or cant read, i didnt see a "vocal" specific section for the mics. im bouncing around between 3 blue's: the bluebird, baby bottle and dragonfly. any info on any of these would be very helpful.

also, if anyone knows anything about the Sennheiser MD421, that would be great too, thanks

Gear:
      Taylor 310
      Martin OMJM
      Fender Blues Jr.
      Pedals: Maxon OD9 - Ethos OD - keeley fuzzhead - Maxon Carbon Copy - DL4 - FT DejaVibe - EH Chorus - EH Pog2

Comment

Your best bet for vocals will be an LDC:

Large Diaphragm Condenser:

Under $100: MXL V67, Studio Projects B1

Under $300: Audio-Technica 3035 & 4040, MXL V69, Studio Projects C1, M-Audio Solaris, CAD M179, Oktava MK(MC)-319 Red5 RV8 & RV10

Under $700: Audio Technica 40 Series, R
        check out my acoustic compositions here: myspace
        and here: soundclick

Comment

I have the Blue Baby Bottle and the Sennheiser MD421. Both good mics, but different characteristics. The Baby Bottle puts out a very hot, almost Hi-Z signal and the MD-421 takes about 50db of gain at the preamp. The Baby Bottle is sort of mid-rangey and the MD421 has a bass roll off knob that starts around 500hz. Both are solid vocal mics, the Baby Bottle does a decent job on acoustic guitar and the MD421 does a decent job on guitar cabs.

Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

i have a rhode nt1-a right now, would an upgrade to a blue bluebird or a blue baby bottle be worth it. or a better way to ask would be, are either of those 2 blues noticeably better than the rhode nt1-a?

Gear:
            Taylor 310
            Martin OMJM
            Fender Blues Jr.

Comment

another option... the 2 things i would be doing are vocal recording and mic'ing my amp playing a fender strat (clean and overdriven):

would i be better off with:
              option a) buying a blue baby bottle (or bluebird) for vocals as well as buying a sennheiser md421 to mic my alessandro working dog amp

or option b) buying just a blue dragonfly to do both vocals and mic the amp?

Gear:
              Taylor 310
              Martin OMJM
              Fender Blues Jr.

Comment

I am a big fan of AT 4047 and 4050 mics.

I recently bought a new 4047 for $400 which is well under your budget. Great all around workhorse mics.
                Mark
                "Do that again....Open your mouth and make your face disappear"..

Comment

I've liked my KSM 32.

Comment

Rode NTK, although this is a tube mic, not a condenser. Sounds great on vocals but it's sounded great on everything else I've used it for. Room mic for drums, in conjunction with a 57 on guitar cabs, upright bass, violin. Definitely the best gear purchase I've made. I think they go for around $450 brand new.

Comment

i have a rhode nt1-a right now, would an upgrade to a blue bluebird or a blue baby bottle be worth it. or a better way to ask would be, are either of those 2 blues noticeably better than the rhode nt1-a?

I also have the R0DE NT-1A. Again, a good mic with a different sound than the Baby Bottle or the MD421. The NT-1A has more high end than the other two, which are both kind of mid-rangey. I like the NT-1A on more intimate, whispery vocals and vocals in a higher register. It is my go-to mic on acoustic guitar as well, although recently I have been stereo micing with the Baby Bottle and mixing the tracks together with good results. Works ok on a guitar cab with a clean/bright tone.
                      Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Check out the new MXL V69XM too.

I just got one new on eBay for $370 and it sounds awesome! Not nearly as weighty and heavy duty as the old V67 I'v had for years, but still a nicely built mic that looks pimp too. I swapped the tube to a nos Mullard right away. The inerds look nice and the sound is just plain sweet. It's warm, yet still has a ton of detail at all frequencies. It seems like you can hear the back of my throat on certain passages, the lows are nice and even, and the top end is just smooth and polished. I'd say it is forgiving towards the S, T, P and B's. It needs a fair bit of gain, but is rather sensitive once up to level and does pick up a good deal of room sound. It is not noisy though, and into my dbx386 or digital MPA (which are spdif into the sound cards) there is ONLY normal room noise in the background.

I've used the KSM 27 & 32 and they're both good, solid performers for little $$$, but the 69XM blows my KSM27 waaay outta the water on my deep, throaty voice. The 27 is really better suited to cleaner toned guitar cabs than vocals tho, IMHO.

Comment

Rode NTK, although this is a tube mic, not a condenser.

This statement simply makes no sense.

The NTK is a condenser mic.

It happens to be a condenser mic that uses a tube rather than transistors.

Comment

Working...
                          X