Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Glyn Johns Method" drum recording (CLIPS!!)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Glyn Johns Method" drum recording (CLIPS!!)

Here's a little recording I made last night with a couple friends playing drums and bass.... using three drum mics a la Glyn Johns with bass direct:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=844344&songID=7554816

Very very easy to set up... and...

I like it. I like it a lot
    weebz wrote:God appeared to me in a dream and said "Thou shalt post on Guitar Jam"

hmmm... recording forum doesn't seem to be very talkative....
    weebz wrote:God appeared to me in a dream and said "Thou shalt post on Guitar Jam"

Comment

I like the overhead sounds, but the kick is not so good. It took me a minute to figure out whether it actually was the kick, or just the bass guitar.

What are you using for mics?
      GMS CL-Series 5-piece kit (USA) 10/12/14/16/22 Splash: 8" AAX / 12" HHX --- Crash: 14" HHX / 15" HHX / 16" AAX / 18" AAX --- Ride: 22" AAX --- Hi-Hat: 14" HHX --- China: 14" HHX
      PRS CE-22 / Ibanez Prestige RGT320Z

Comment

sounds promising, but there's some weirdness going on during the crashes.

yeah i hear that too. it was all about how he played the crashes. there's even one part about halfway in where the cymbal sounds like it's in reverse and i have no idea how he did that...

anyway when he's just playing a straight simple groove the cymbals sound how they're supposed to, he definitely did some weird stuff during this jam part though

Comment

I like the overhead sounds, but the kick is not so good. It took me a minute to figure out whether it actually was the kick, or just the bass guitar.

What are you using for mics?

What about the kick don't you like?

I have a subkick getting the low end and an Audix i5 to get the beater. The kit isn't mixed or anything, what your hearing is direct off the mics.

When I mix the song down I'll of course work on the kick sound, but how do you think it should be improved?

edit: actually it sounds like there's no subkick at all, maybe that was muted when i bounced to disk. i'll have to double check that later.

Comment

What about the kick don't you like?

I have a subkick getting the low end and an Audix i5 to get the beater. The kit isn't mixed or anything, what your hearing is direct off the mics.

When I mix the song down I'll of course work on the kick sound, but how do you think it should be improved?

The kick has almost no attack. It sounds as if you cut off the initial beater hit and only allowed the ambient sound to remain. Maybe the subkick is overpowering the track.
            GMS CL-Series 5-piece kit (USA) 10/12/14/16/22 Splash: 8" AAX / 12" HHX --- Crash: 14" HHX / 15" HHX / 16" AAX / 18" AAX --- Ride: 22" AAX --- Hi-Hat: 14" HHX --- China: 14" HHX
            PRS CE-22 / Ibanez Prestige RGT320Z

Comment

I don't care for the kick sound either - too "warm", yet "flat" sounding - like an overstuffed drum...

Bass player is pretty good...how was it recorded?
              Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

I don't care for the kick sound either - too "warm", yet "flat" sounding - like an overstuffed drum...

Bass player is pretty good...how was it recorded?

direct thru a UA pre

Comment

The kick has almost no attack. It sounds as if you cut off the initial beater hit and only allowed the ambient sound to remain. Maybe the subkick is overpowering the track.

yeah i hear what you're saying now. i'll have to take a look tomorrow to see what's going on. when i was setting levels/positioning that mic it was all 'tick tick tick' and heavy on the beater/attack sound (which was the idea). so that sound is definitely there, i'll have to see why it's not coming thru.

maybe it's just getting buried and needs help cutting or something

Comment

What you guys seem to be neglecting in this philosophical discussion is that the sound of the drums is a combination of the sound of the drummer and the room with this technique. If the drums aren't balanced, it's the drummer's fault. If the kik isn't "right"... it's the tuning of the drum or the room in which the kit resides... or both [add in that the drummer might have ****************ty technique... which is a distinct possibility].

If you listen to the Glynn Johns stuff you'll hear such a wide variation in "drum sounds" it's almost silly. So... the only question that matters is "does this drum sound work with the song?".

If the answer is "yes" then move on... if the answer is "no" then you've got a problem and need to figure out a solution.

Peace.
                    CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
                    We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

If you listen to the Glynn Johns stuff you'll hear such a wide variation in "drum sounds" it's almost silly. So... the only question that matters is "does this drum sound work with the song?".

If the answer is "yes" then move on... if the answer is "no" then you've got a problem and need to figure out a solution.

Peace.

Comment

Yep. The Glyn Johns method needs a fairly large room. AND it needs a smallish kit, and a drummer who ain't singing and doing other stuff.
                        or the room in which the kit resides... or both

Peace.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

Wait a minute...that's about the hugest oversimplification I've ever heard out of you Fletcher.

It is beyond doubt that the source sound is absolutely crucial. So, you need a good sounding kit, in a good sounding room with a well-playing drummer. BUT, don't absolve know-nothings who throw a couple of mics in a couple spots they found by reading an article on the Internet and then don't get the sound they thought they should get. That's on the engineer. Not the drummer.

Everybody in the process and everything in the chain (including drums, room, mic placement, etc.) is a piece of the puzzle.
                          *Video Drum Lessons

*Need to Know How to Register Your Copyrights for Your Band?

Comment

For listening, what are some GREAT Glyn Johns tracks? I use this method, though I AM in a basement and up against a wall. I'd like to hear what great playing, good mics and a good room could do...
                            GrubbyGroovesGrubbyGrooves always free on YouTube

Comment

For listening, what are some GREAT Glyn Johns tracks? I use this method, though I AM in a basement and up against a wall. I'd like to hear what great playing, good mics and a good room could do...

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MusicStar/1905/rock/discography/glynjohns.html
                              *Video Drum Lessons

*Need to Know How to Register Your Copyrights for Your Band?

Comment

Working...
                              X