Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

would a drum software like EZdrummer work with a Yamaha DD-55 digital drum?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would a drum software like EZdrummer work with a Yamaha DD-55 digital drum?

...Playing in real time but replacing the internal sounds of the DD-55 with those of the toontrack EZdrummer? I want to do this for recording. i have tracktion2 as a recording software.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

interested in this as well
    <div class="signaturecontainer">.:Keep on Rockin' in the Free World:.<br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://adamryan.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">My music</a></div>

Comment

interested in this as well

do you have a digital drum? so far I hear that midi connectivity is a prerequisite but I'd like to know how it's done.

Comment

Yea it's pretty easy just link every thing together with midi cables to and from your drum module and the computer interface select the right midi in/out device and your good to go. Make sure you select midi trax and not audio trax when you get ready to track the drums. Good luck have fun.
        BTW Cool thing about midi trax you can change the midi notes around and time signature. EZdrummer is easy.

Comment

Do you have the dd-55?

Because I do, thinking the exact same thing. While it will work kind of it doesn't quite cut it. Now it sits in a closet, where it's been for the last couple years. The MAJOR problem is that the 55 is very unexpressive. I think I got 3 velocities out of it total no matter how I set it up. It doesn't double trigger to bad, but it will quite often not trigger at all.

Spending a little bit more on a better drum controller is advised. Such as the Alesis performance pad, or the Rolland SPD-S is my suggestion.

I actually find programing by hand the quickest way personally, but I understand wanting the expressiveness of a real kit. The 55 just doesn't get you that unfortunately.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.nerolstudio.com" target="_blank">www.nerolstudio.com</a></div>

Comment

Here's another option runs about 300$ new retail
            149$ for easy drummer 149$ for M-Audio midi trigger
            here's a sample video clip of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKy-JJKT2Rs

Comment

Do you have the dd-55?

Because I do, thinking the exact same thing. While it will work kind of it doesn't quite cut it. Now it sits in a closet, where it's been for the last couple years. The MAJOR problem is that the 55 is very unexpressive. I think I got 3 velocities out of it total no matter how I set it up. It doesn't double trigger to bad, but it will quite often not trigger at all.

Spending a little bit more on a better drum controller is advised. Such as the Alesis performance pad, or the Rolland SPD-S is my suggestion.

I actually find programing by hand the quickest way personally, but I understand wanting the expressiveness of a real kit. The 55 just doesn't get you that unfortunately.

Nice suggestions but unfortunately I can barely afford the EZdrummer nevermind another, better E-drum (four kids to feed, you know...). I just want to be able to put the drum tracks, playing the thing myself with sticks and feet. I realise it's not the ultimate way of doing it but if the EZD works with the 55 as a trigger, I thought I might get at least better drum sounds doing it that way. From what I now hear, it would work. I just have to find out how as I am a midi n00b...

Comment

Your best bet is go over to Toontracks and sign up. Go to their tech support and ask them about compatibility, never hurts to double check. That way you know for sure if it's gonna work. If not sell the Yamaha on eBay and buy a midi controller compatible with TT's ezdrummer. Also they had a offer if you did buy a ezdrummer they would throw in expansion pack for free, but I'm not sure if the offer still good.

Comment

I don't see why not. I currently use a keyboard to play my EZ Drummer in real time. So long as you can get the midi from your digital drums to tracktion2 it's a breeze. The only thing that need a little configuration is mapping notes to samples. But this could always be done afterwards if you can not change the mapping on your digital drums.

Before I got the EZDrummer software I would make sure you get setup the midi in/out for your digital drum set. You should be able to record your midi drums in tracktion2 and then play them right back thru your digital drum set. When you use the software, all you would do is route the midi track to the EZ drummer Sample instead of to your DD-55.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>vBulletin4Life</b><br />
                  Local Business Owner and Cat Enthusiast</div>

Comment

Well, changing notes on the 55 is easy. However IIRC it comes default to GM mapping so as long as there is mapping for GM within ez drummer (I imagine there is, most software drums have this even though it limits to some degree how many sounds you can have).
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.nerolstudio.com" target="_blank">www.nerolstudio.com</a></div>

Comment

Thank you all for your inputs. I really appreciate. It seems I can "turn off" the internal sounds of the DD55 and assign a note (keyboard key) to each pad. This is all very new to me and I'll have to fiddle quite a bit but it appears to be all there.

Comment

I've used my brother's DD-55 to trigger the samples in BFD and it worked pretty well, the only problem I remember having was getting the MIDI mapping right, as far as I can remember I just got him to hit each pad on the DD-55 in turn while recording the MIDI data coming out of it and then remapped BFD to that.

Comment

I've used my brother's DD-55 to trigger the samples in BFD and it worked pretty well, the only problem I remember having was getting the MIDI mapping right, as far as I can remember I just got him to hit each pad on the DD-55 in turn while recording the MIDI data coming out of it and then remapped BFD to that.

Midi mapping? sorry for the sorely n00b question but is that deciding which keyboard "key" the pads correspond to?

Comment

Midi mapping? sorry for the sorely n00b question but is that deciding which keyboard "key" the pads correspond to?

Well it's more like deciding which drum sample the pads correspond to, which will be a musical note (see pic below) I think there's a list of them in the Yamaha manual, eg the snare might be C0, etc, etc (you need to remap them so you don't end up hitting the snare and triggering the cowbell or something) but IIRC, the DD-55 uses a non standard MIDI map, so I think we had to record the MIDI output and then manually assign the samples, no doubt there's a much easier way of doing it that I'm not aware of.

Comment

Note that you will also have to configure your MIDI sequencer or EZdrummer up to be triggered by the DD-55.

Comment

Working...
                              X