Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubase 5 or Sonar X1 ?

I'm putting together a new DAW. The new dedicated machine has Windows 7x64 and my interface will be a rack mount M Audio Delta 1010.. I've always used Cakewalk products but lately I have folks trying to convince me to move to Cubase..

So, I'm looking for opinions from people that know more than I do (that would be just about anybody ) about these 2 programs.. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks in advance fellas

I would strongly suggest trying Cubase out before you buy it, since you're used to CW products. There's no question that it's a very capable platform, it is. And, depending on the package you buy, you may find the included synths fill many of your needs. (Of course, the same could be said of Sonar and others.)

The reason I suggest actually working with whatever you're considering moving to is not that it might be deficient but rather that its workflow and the 'product culture' of what you choose may not fit you as well as what you had. Or it might be better. But only hands on experience will really tell.

Happily, CW tends to make demo/trial versions of its core products available. You might have to find a pal with Cubase in order to get some hands-on time, but it sounds like you have some, hopefully close enough to allow you to come over and sit in on their rig to get the feel.

music and social stuff

Comment

I will +1 the trial of cubase. There is a 30 day demo available on steinberg's website.
      www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

Steinberg forces you to buy a $28 dongle to use the trial version.. Strike 1

"Please note that you require a USB-eLicenser to activate the license and start Cubase 5 Trial. You may purchase a USB-eLicenser from our Online-Shop or your local dealer (in case you already own a previous version of Cubase or another product with a USB-eLicenser, you may use this one instead)."

Comment

Yeah that is the downside of the demo, but you need one if your really interested in the software anyway.
          www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

But if you buy the software, it comes with one of its own, so you'd end up having an extra dongle that was bought. Still, great software.
            Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Comment

I own Cubase 5. It sucks for MIDI.
              It's good for multi-track digital audio.

If you are in need of MIDI -- don't buy Cubase.
              It is not ready for MIDI prime time.
              It would not be ready for MIDI prime-time if we were still in 1995.

But for multi-track digital audio, I like it.

BTW, I voted "Another".
              Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

If you buy the software, they deduct the price of the trial version dongle from the price. Regardless, I not paying ANYONE $28 to try a trial version of their software..

I going through all this grief because the machine I'm moving out of after 6 yrs is maxed out at 2gb ram.. That won't get it for the VSTs I want to run with projects going forward. The old machine has never been hooked to the internet. The new one I'm transferring things into now won't ever be either. Why do I mention that? Because everyone wants to sell you their SW via download these days.. And in Sonar X1's case, it's a `15gb DL. Pretty hard to transfer that large of a file.

The new machine as I mentioned is 64bit so that's a consideration. Shoot, even Addictive Drums & Superior 2.0 don't want to work on 64bit..

Cubase has an "Arranger" function that allows you to do different segments of a song (different time sigs & BPMs) apart from each other and sew them together seamlessly when you are ready to. I really like that.. I wish Cakewalk offered that type of function

Comment

X1 is similar but A LOT of the menus and things have moved/changed and require a check in the HELP file to find them - most annoying. I always hate when they change the GUI when it worked fine before. It works okay on 7. A bunch of new plugs but it basically the same with a modified GUI. Used it this past weekend and got used to it in about an hour (prev Sonar 7)
                  Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes

Comment

I own Cubase 5. It sucks for MIDI.
                    It's good for multi-track digital audio.

Wut? Name me a DAW that does midi (both recording and processing) better and I'll **************** a brick.
                    www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

Wut? Name me a DAW that does midi (both recording and processing) better and I'll **************** a brick.

Easy. Voyetra Record Producer. And it's obsolete. I have it set up in one laptop w/Cubase.
                      Cubase does not even function. Not even basic, fundamental stuff like playback -
                      Yes -- it is set up properly according the instructions & the tutorial in the manual.
                      Yes it is mapped exactly according to the tutorial in the manual.

But even when it is mapped & set up properly - it is dead, dead, dead silent.

To be useful for MIDI, a DAW must be able to play back a MIDI file.
                      That is sort of expected. It's been part of the deal since the late 1980's,
                      when I started sequencing MIDI.

Voyetra Record Producer does it every time. I open Cubugs -- I get nothing but dead silence.
                      And I'm not the only one having that problem. I've had people email me from Cubase.net
                      Forum asking me if I've found a solution yet.

And then AFTER Voyetra Record Producer -- I name every other DAW at being better at basic MIDI functionality
                      than Cubase. Why? Because Cubase can't even play back an SMF. And that is just fundamental.

Maybe it's fabulous at advanced MIDI editing. I wouldn't know.
                      Because I can't get an SMF to play back inside Cubugs.

I'll make a Youtube video of my comparison. Same Notebook. Same devices. Same MIDI interface.
                      Boot up old, obsolete 1990's era Voyetra. Load SMF -- it plays beautifully.

Boot Cubugs -- load SMF -- nothing but cold, dead silence.

I like it for multi-track digital audio. In fact, I'd recommend it to people who do not
                      need MIDI. I think it's well-laid out & the VST sounds are really useful.

But MIDI? No. It's not ready for 1995 yet. And I'm not the only one who thinks so.

So start s*itting.
                      Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

MIDI proficiency is kind of something that Cubase is praised for... considered to be the industry leader by many. If your MIDI is silent in Cubase, and if you can't play an SMF, you're doing something wrong.
                        Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Comment

MIDI proficiency is kind of something that Cubase is praised for... considered to be the industry leader by many. If your MIDI is silent in Cubase, and if you can't play an SMF, you're doing something wrong.

This.

No problem with MIDI in Cubase SX3 or 4 here.
                          My RigMy avatar-

Comment

REAPER REAPER REAPER

It beats the others because it's so much faster, less clunky and customizable.

Furthermore, it's poised to become the "Firefox" of DAWs because there are so many add-ons to it, and it's friendly for programmers to write add-ons, unlike the other DAWs.

In another 5-10yrs Reaper will be the most popular bar none. It'd be sooner if DAWs didn't each have their own learning curve to them.

Furthermore, it's free. There's a 30 day "trial" period after which you're supposed to buy, but after the 30 days all you get is the same nag screen and it's still fully functional. Pay like 40 bucks to remove the nag screen tho.

I run Win 7-64 and Reaper is able to easily use Addictive Drums 32 bit with all the AdPaks; it has a 32-bit bridge thing for compatibility b/w the bit system and VSTs.

Comment

I'm a sonar guy - always have been - always will be.
                              What's your purpose? What's your passion? What's your pursuit?

www.infullpursuit.com

Comment

Working...
                              X