Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent bass mic???

I have been using a shure beta52 for recording my bass with and it has done really well. But I'm interested in getting another bass mic for bass drum, and just to try another mic on my bass. Has anyone used Audio Technica atm25, AKG D112, or AKG P2? Was wondering anyone's input on these mics for recording? Thanks
    Schecter Custom bass, Peavey T-40 bass, Peavey firebass 700, Peavey 2x15 cab/4x10 cab, Boss me-50b, Fender Telecaster Deluxe, Les Paul standard,Takamine EG523SC,Vox AD120 VT, Boss me-50,Line 6 DL4, Boss PS-3, Boss PA-2, Pearl Drumset, Behringer Xenyx 2222fx, Behringer truth monitors, Sennheiser 280HD, , Shure Beta 52, Shure pg57, AKG Perception 200, MXL R144, MXL 990,GLS ES-57, EV 257b, Peavey 45i (x3) Peavey 38i, Sennheiser e845s, MXL 603s

ATM25s are great, more natural sounding than most mikes marketed for kick drums. Work great on toms, cabs, keep meaning to try one on vocals. I have two, I'd like another 2-4 to mix things up with the 57s.

Unfortunately, they are long discontinued, and no longer the bargain they once were, but still reasonable when you can find one. There is a replacement model, but it's more expensive. Word of mouth is it performs similarly.
    Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

Comment

I really like the MD421 on bass.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Yea I was looking at the akg D112 when I bought my shure beta, so might go with it. I know the MD421 is a great mic, but its more than I want to spend right now. I was looking at the audix d6/f6 mics, but not sure how they sound on bass cabs. If anyone else has suggestions or input let me know, thanks!
        Schecter Custom bass, Peavey T-40 bass, Peavey firebass 700, Peavey 2x15 cab/4x10 cab, Boss me-50b, Fender Telecaster Deluxe, Les Paul standard,Takamine EG523SC,Vox AD120 VT, Boss me-50,Line 6 DL4, Boss PS-3, Boss PA-2, Pearl Drumset, Behringer Xenyx 2222fx, Behringer truth monitors, Sennheiser 280HD, , Shure Beta 52, Shure pg57, AKG Perception 200, MXL R144, MXL 990,GLS ES-57, EV 257b, Peavey 45i (x3) Peavey 38i, Sennheiser e845s, MXL 603s

Comment

I like the D112, not nearly as scooped as the beta52a or d6 (the D6 sounded great when the bass was on solo, but placed in the mix the mid range dip caused it to disappear).

It's also a killer floor tom mic.
          www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

+1 to the D112. A favorite of mine for bass, and all things low end!

Comment

A Sennheiser 421 always sounds cool on a bass cab.

Comment

Yea one day I would like to pick up a sennheiser 421 I know they are a studio standard for toms and a really good mic to have in the collection. My friend and I recently just built a drum isolation booth to cut down on sound because of the neighbor calling the cops every time we jammed. So we have been jamming like in studio conditions where we are turned down, headphones on and just doing a direct in on the bass. I have to say, everything sounds clear and clean. But I still want to mic the cabs at times=)

Comment

Dude go direct and use izotope or waves bundle to fix it.

Comment

Dude go direct and use izotope or waves bundle to fix it.
                    You didnt read his post. He was asking about a kick drum mic.

My recordings got alot better when I added a sub kick. This way I could capture the high end with the normal mic and get the lows with a sub kick.

Comment

I did read it. He is talking about trying something different on both his Kick Drum and his Bass Guitar.

Go direct on BASS, use a D6 on KICK. This is my 2 cents worth.

Comment

I prefer an RE20 on kick or snare to any microphone I've tried. It's flat as a ruler and its design reduced proximity effect. You can a much more wide variety of tones using it than a pre-EQ'd mic like D112, Beta 52, or D6.
                        Check out our recording studio HERE

Comment

I prefer an RE20 on kick or snare to any microphone I've tried. It's flat as a ruler and its design reduced proximity effect. You can a much more wide variety of tones using it than a pre-EQ'd mic like D112, Beta 52, or D6.

RE20 is the bomb for kick drum, and it also serves as a good bass/guitar cab mic, vocal mic, tom mic, etc. IMO its they're a much better buy than even a cheaper "kick drum mic," because of thier versatility.

Comment

Yea i have never thought about a RE20, I might have to check that out. I still havent bought another mic yet. The last few times we have jammed/recorded I have just gone direct on my bass and we are at my friends place so he has his own set up for recording drums. But yea I will check on the RE20 maybe another option for the drums. thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                            X