No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a vocal mike for home studio demo recordings

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a vocal mike for home studio demo recordings

Hello, I've read many reviews of mikes here and elsewhere, but it's hard to sort through them all, so I'm asking you folks to chime in if you would.

Anyway, I'm a Basement Beethoven composer who records home demos in Sonar using predominantly sound modules. Don't record amps ever.

My voice is barely tolerable, very midwest nasal, not low enough for the kinds of songs I write (mainly blues and traditional country). So I hate recording vocals.

In the past, I used to use an Octava 219 condenser, which I thought produced pretty good results. The, stupidly, I sold it to get an Audio Technica 2035 because I thought I wanted a more 'accurate' sounding condenser.

When comparing records made by the Octava vs. the AT, I realize that the AT really pushes the vocals forward and can be quite harsh, whereas the Octava provided some nice 'color' and made the vocals sit more nicely in the mix.

So, I guess my preference is for a cardoid mike that emphasizes warmth over accuracy, 'fitting in" to the mix rather than dominating. In other words, a mike that will help a lousy male singer sound a bit less lousy.

I could go out and repurchase an Octava, but I was wondering whether you had recommendations on home studio vocal mikes that cost less than $300-$500 used. I do prefer condensors over dynamics (I've tried a couple and never liked the results).

I know this is subjective, but any insights you can provide are helpful

I really like the Blue Mouse. Great low end enhancement and and no harshness. Even if you don't take advantage of the low end it provides, it will sit well in the mix. It can be used on other things as well. Maybe $500 used. Shure SM7B; Dynamic, industry standard male rock voice mic, and well in your price range. Made me sound "a little pitchy DAWG" though. Sorry bad joke.

Comment

I have learned over the years that your voice is what it is. You won't change that factor very much through microphone choice.

Granted you can choose a mic that flatters your voice but you may not get very far toward that goal within your price range.

I have walked in your shoes. My voice has a lot of......character. I have chosen to go with a mic that honestly picks up what I have to offer. I then spend time with volume automation, EQ and compression smoothing things out.

I suggest that you choose the best quality condenser mic that you can afford and you will at least get an accurate recording of your vocals.
      Leonard Scaper

Comment

The Octava is a rather "dark" sounding mic. If this is the kind of mic that sounds best on your voice, other mics on the "dark" side of the spectrum to consider would be the CAD M179 and the Shure SM7 (as has been suggested before). Both are wonderful mics that are great to have available.
        Brad

My music can be heard here: http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger

Comment

Like the CADs

Comment

Working...
          X