Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacky Experimental Setup Advice

I'm trying to come up with a fully digital stationary live/recording setup in a church. A very small church that only holds less than 100. That number doesn't bear any factors on what I'm discussing though. I'm trying to setup a digital signal path from where a snake would normally be near the stage, where there would be at least 24 ch.s of inputs of A/D converter/preamps. That could be F'wire outputs into a PC DAW. Then let a 32-ch ethernet cable carry that signal to the soundroom in the back (max. 75 ft.) to a laptop that's also connected to the Mackie Control Surface. I'll admit that I'm not sure if simply by virtue of running a Cat5 cable from 1 PC to another that it would actually send the desired data. That's probably the biggest obstacle in this scenario. I'm wondering if I could use a remote control s'ware like TeamViewer to tap into the main DAW from the laptop, but then again, I can't see how that's actually going to control the DAW, unless I bought a box like the Focusright Dante that rec'ves optical input, then sends out thru it's Ethernet port.

I had originally looked at using the 16-ch digital snake by Whirlpool that offers an ethernet option. That was going to a Tascam 4800 with appropriate cards, incl a FWire card to interface with a PC DAW. I'm just looking for a cheaper scenario that, while unorthadox, would work. Another reason I wanted to try this setup was 1.) because I have quite inexperienced sound guys, and 2.) We would be able to mix from the main DAW near stage so that during rehearsals we wouldn't have to run back and forth to the booth.

I've looked at tons of different boxes, incl the MOTU HD192, which I thought I had it figured out with that one, but it doesn't offer any preamps.

KC
    EQUIPMENT/SOFTWARE:

Intel Mobo: DP35DP/CPU: Intel Dual Core Quad 6600 2.4G
    Video: nVidia GeForce 8600 GT w/512RAM/Sys RAM: 2Gig
    O/S: WinXP SP2
    Snd Card: Alesis I/O 26/Cntrllr: Alesis Fusion 8HD
    DAW: Sonar 7HS/Been CW user since '88.
    Wav Editor: Audition 1.5

My mind is made! The Prosonus 24:4:2
    EQUIPMENT/SOFTWARE:

Intel Mobo: DP35DP/CPU: Intel Dual Core Quad 6600 2.4G
    Video: nVidia GeForce 8600 GT w/512RAM/Sys RAM: 2Gig
    O/S: WinXP SP2
    Snd Card: Alesis I/O 26/Cntrllr: Alesis Fusion 8HD
    DAW: Sonar 7HS/Been CW user since '88.
    Wav Editor: Audition 1.5

Comment

Run analogue from the stage to the sound room.

Use the desk you already have by the stage to mix your rehearsals. Send the channel direct outs thru the snake to the DAW.
      flip the phase

Comment

Working...
      X