Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPAD Garageband Guitar Interface

Hi

Just delving into the world of ipad/garageband

does anyone recommend a guitar interface, i have looked at iRig and Apogee Jam and it appears its worth paying the extra for te gain control.

I have a Line 6 Gearbox can this do same job and if so how could i connect headphones ?

Also can I connect a mic SM58 into Ipad through the same interface?

thanks
    Grant

www.openroadtheband.com

www.myspace.com/openroadrockcovers

I just got the Scarlett 2i2. I paid US $129; sorry if the price is no help.

I really wanted the Apogee Jam at the time. The problem with the Scarlett 2i2 on the ipad is that I need a powered USB hub to run it. Which shouldn't be so bad except that I really want to be using this around the world as I travel for work and it's one more thing and I have to account for power for the hub (will probably find some kind of battery-powered USB supply and eliminate the hub).

However, what it does for me: it doesn't need a driver; thus, it's compliant. It has L and R inputs which can be either line or mic; a 48V switch is provided. A switch on the front to monitor through the interface (1/4" headphone jack). On the back: L and R 1/4" output so I am playing this through a keyboard amp and enjoying it greatly.

I'm tempted to return and exchange it for the Apogee Jam which would simplify the setup: no powered USB hub. But, the only output on the Jam is a 1/8" headphone jack. So, then, not as easy to go into a power amp.

Since the GearBox requires drivers to work on a Mac, I suspect it won't work on an ipad - but you will probably search that.

Greg

Comment

I should add that standard USB devices require the "Camera Connection Kit" from Apple which is an adapter for the 30 pin connector to USB. In the US: $40. I'm sure that there are much less expensive versions available. Something like the Apogee Jam (which I don't have) comes with a cable to connect to your iPad and one to connect to your computer, so no requirement for the 30-pin to USB adapter.

Greg

Comment

I've been eyeballing one of these http://www.alesis.com/iodock

Reviews are all over the map, but most recent reviews are pretty positive....they can be had for around 150 bucks
        Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

thanks guys, anyone seens these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-iXZ-Mic-Guitar-iPad-iPhone-iPod-interface-NEW-/251097350817?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=it em3a769182a1

my guess is this will be very like the apogee jam with added benefit of the mic input too.
          Grant

www.openroadtheband.com

Comment

I think that little Tascam is pretty slick. For me, I did not want to use a device that uses the iDevice headphone jack as the in/out. There are inherent limitations with that plus I find that Apple's headphone/mic jacks have reliability problems.

Then, consider, too, the bit rate of the A/D converter as well as the dB of the input stage. I believe the more econo devices have a limited dynamic range compared to others that cost a little more.

Greg

Comment

thanks guys, anyone seens these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-iXZ-Mic-Guitar-iPad-iPhone-iPod-interface-NEW-/251097350817?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=it em3a769182a1

my guess is this will be very like the apogee jam with added benefit of the mic input too.

I would avoid anything that connects via the headphone jack. Stick to the Apogee JAM, or the Line 6 MobileIn, which has the added benefit of a 1/8" input that can be used with a mixer (with the right cables).
              Court Jester of the Ibanez Wizards
              Mesa/Boogie Mob

Guitars:

Ibanez JS2000
              Ibanez RG421 w/ Dimarzio TZ+AN
              Ibanez SC420
              Fender MIM Strat with built-in Roland GK3
              Seagull S6

Rig:
              '94 Mesa DC-5 combo
              Palmer PDI-09
              L6 Echo Park
              Boss chorus
              Boss SD-1
              AmpKit+ for iPad
              Roland GI-20 MIDI converter

Comment

You guys were right, I can't get the Tascam iXZ to work that well what ever I do wit levels. Have tried wit GB and Amplitude but all seems too much hassle
                Grant

www.openroadtheband.com

Comment

Working...
                X