Harmony Central Forums
No announcement yet.

what trick do you use to time when to start playing when recording?

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what trick do you use to time when to start playing when recording?

Is hitting the hi-hat (either closed or open) 3x the common procedure? Like 1, 2, 3 then you start playing the instruments while recording. I never did any of this so no wonder why I got so frustrated when recording because there was no sign for me when to start playing. There was no 1, 2, 3, then play. It was just the drums starts playing on the 1st second and I'd have to "catch" it to play and record along with it. There were several misses of course. That was so amateurish. I didn't know better. Plus I do record in the first second since no one records in 0 second.

Like 1, 2, 3 then you start playing the instruments while recording.

What you can do is make a click track for the first 4 beats.
    You'll need a longer silence in the beginning of 6 or 7 seconds but thats easy in a DAW.
    You can use whatever sound you want recoeded into a mic to get a Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick (5).
    Play the beat along with the drums on the beat, then just shift the track over so The last tick is on the first
    beat of the drums. this way you have a count in. Otherwise trying to catch it visually can be a bitch

Are you recording along to real drums or programmed? Is it recorded along to a click track?

I usually start the recording 2-4 measures before the point at which the player needs to start playing and put clicks from programmed drums there (and often everywhere subsequent if necessary). I typically add bass drum on beat 1 and open hi-hat cymbal on every beat.

If I want a slightly more 'free' feel, I would add clicks on beats 1 and 3 rather than on beats 1, 2, 3, 4.
      Keyboard Gear: Korg Triton Extreme, Native Instruments Kore, Native Instruments Komplete 4, M-Audio GForce Future Retro Pack, computer

Guitars: Fender Classic 60's Players Strat, Ibanez RG7620, Schecter jazz elite, Ovation Balladeer
      Pedalboard: Boss TU-2, DOD Compressor Sustainer, Boss BD-2, Boss SD-2, Earthquaker Device Hoof Fuzz, Suhr Riot, DOD Ice Chorus, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, Boss DD7, Line 6 DL4
      Amps: 2 x Fender Superchamp XD, Sansamp psa-1 pre amp, marshall 2x12",

If overdubbing alone we have a click track or hit hat count in.

If recording with a group we look at each other and do our best imitation of old west gunslingers in a duel and watch each other

I look at the tape rolling by and observe which way the iron particles are configured

Pro Tape recorders do have counters that can be used

does the drummer not count-in the song live? do the same thing on the record! i prefer stick clicks to hi-hat count-in.

I'm always using a click on my own stuff. I prefer 2 bars and then the start.

With bands, either stick clicks or hat starts. Or if we use a click, I do the same as above.

When I'm using a drum machine, I can just start it earley and then
                silence the extra beats off later. Or I can use its foot pedal option and start the drums
                when I'm playing guitar. Its a little trickey but it works. Live drums are live drums.
                I usually have the drummer do clicks on his sticks if its a song where we all come in at once.

this highly unusual musical technique is called "count in"

you tell me language you need, and I give you the numbers as audio file

this is how roger waters does it live , this sounds like an in ears monitor mix ,which the band would hear while performing ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJc6lfBILog
                    Consternoon Aftable