X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my computer too old/slow??

Hey everyone, I'm new to the recording forum. I am developing my live sound and want to start using my computer and get some software for sequencing/drums etc Sonar or cubase I think. Problem is, I know next to nothing about computers and I dont know if mine is fast/up to date enough (see? like you're explaining to a 6 year old guys...) to run all the software/record etc This is all I know, and all I know how to find out about it. Its an IBM thinkpad, quite old, running XP pro, it says intel(R) pentium(R) M, 1.70GHz, 1.00GB of ram. I don't know any more than that or even whether thats enough info for you guys to advise me. If not, let me know what you would advise me to do. If it will run software like sonar/cubase/fruityloops I'm cool with that because its all I need it to do at the moment. Any and all advise gratefully received.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;If you walk through the streets of life looking behind you, you're gonna bump into ****************&quot;</div>

Intek 1.70GHz, 1.00GB of ram

you can work with this computer, but you get very fast to the limit where it gets time consuming with todays processing plug-ins and VSTi instruments.

Comment

you can work with this computer, but you get very fast to the limit where it gets time consuming with todays processing plug-ins and VSTi instruments.

I dont mind just using the softwares stock stuff for now, is this above pentium 3? FL studio says it needs to be compatible with that? I dont even know whether mine is or not...
      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;If you walk through the streets of life looking behind you, you're gonna bump into ****************&quot;</div>

Comment

a 1,7 GHz Intel should be an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.70 GHz, 256K Cache, 400 MHz FSB

Comment

I used an AMD Anthlon 850 as my first rig with 2 gigs memeory and it actually worked very well. Memory is going to be the issue with your laptop, not the cpu. Can the memory be upgraded cheaply and easily ?
          <div class="signaturecontainer">I like Z Cars<br />
          and Guitars</div>

Comment

I used a 500G Gateway processor for 10 years running windoes ME and Cakewalk 8 and Cubase 32.
            It worked fine for tracking 8 channels but when it came time to mixdown it was a slow as molassis.

You really want a dual or quad processor with at least 4 G of memory to run newer daw versions.
            I'm due for an upgrade myself. I'm using a 3G single core processor. Its fine for tracking 24 channels but
            I have to go easy on plugins.

I'll likely move my dual core mastering computer to the studio and get a Quad core to replace it.
            EBay has hundreds of rowers listed all the time. I can get something decent for a couple of hundred
            then just canabalize my components over to the new box.

Comment

I used an AMD Anthlon 850 as my first rig with 2 gigs memeory and it actually worked very well. Memory is going to be the issue with your laptop, not the cpu. Can the memory be upgraded cheaply and easily ?

I have absolutely no idea whether the memory can be upgraded cheaply or easily. How would I find out? Thanks everyone BTW

Comment

if there is a RAM slot free on the motherboard, then read the brand and model number of the RAM bar and look if this sort of RAM is still available

Comment

I have absolutely no idea whether the memory can be upgraded cheaply or easily. How would I find out? Thanks everyone BTW

First posting what model Thinkpad you have helpful.
                  A T60 will take up to 4G of memory. Free slots are
                  not nessarily a sign it will take more memory. If it has
                  only two slots with two 1G chips for example, those chips get replaced
                  with two 2G to make it 4G, or if it has four 500M chips those get replaced with four 1G chips.

Google up the specs for the manufacturers/model and it will tell you what the memory can be upgraded to.
                  Something like Sonar 8.5 or X1 require a minimum of 4G memory to run well. Even then its pretty bogged out
                  on a desktop which is allot faster than a laptop given the same hardware specs.

Comment

a 1,7 GHz Intel should be an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.70 GHz, 256K Cache, 400 MHz FSB

A Pentium M 1.7Ghz is not the same as a P4 of the same speed. Not by a long shot. The Pentium M's are what initially came with the Centrino-branded laptops, and are actually a further evolution of the PIII architecture, of which has a shorter (and more efficient) pipeline than the Netburst-based P4's.

A Pentium M is not ideal for today's apps, but it's certainly doable. My advice would be to add as much memory as the machine can take, use an external drive for recording data, and he should be fine for simple stuff.

To the OP: what Thinkpad is it? R51? T42? Go to Crucial.com, and they've got a memory configurator which will tell you how much RAM your machine will accept, and exactly what type.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="4"><font color="Red">Court Jester of the Ibanez Wizards</font></font><font size="3"><font color="Blue"><br />
                    <b><i>Mesa/Boogie Mob</i></b></font></font><br />
                    <br />
                    Guitars:<br />
                    <br />
                    Ibanez JS2000<br />
                    Ibanez RG421 w/ Dimarzio TZ+AN<br />
                    Ibanez SC420<br />
                    Fender MIM Strat with built-in Roland GK3<br />
                    Seagull S6<br />
                    <br />
                    Rig:<br />
                    '94 Mesa DC-5 combo<br />
                    Palmer PDI-09<br />
                    L6 Echo Park<br />
                    Boss chorus<br />
                    Boss SD-1<br />
                    AmpKit+ for iPad<br />
                    Roland GI-20 MIDI converter</div>

Comment

A Pentium M 1.7Ghz is not the same as a P4 of the same speed. Not by a long shot. The Pentium M's are what initially came with the Centrino-branded laptops, and are actually a further evolution of the PIII architecture, of which has a shorter (and more efficient) pipeline than the Netburst-based P4's.

A Pentium M is not ideal for today's apps, but it's certainly doable. My advice would be to add as much memory as the machine can take, use an external drive for recording data, and he should be fine for simple stuff.

To the OP: what Thinkpad is it? R51? T42? Go to Crucial.com, and they've got a memory configurator which will tell you how much RAM your machine will accept, and exactly what type.

Hey thanks man, its a T42, pretty old...

Comment

Hey thanks man, its a T42, pretty old...

Looks like it takes a max of 2GB of RAM. Get that, find a DAW that does an efficient job with track freezing, and you should be on your way. I would recommend Reaper, because in my experience it's lightweight, and works well on older machines.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="4"><font color="Red">Court Jester of the Ibanez Wizards</font></font><font size="3"><font color="Blue"><br />
                        <br />
                        <br />
                        Ibanez JS2000<br />
                        Ibanez SC420<br />
                        Seagull S6<br />
                        <br />
                        Palmer PDI-09<br />
                        L6 Echo Park<br />
                        Boss chorus<br />
                        Boss SD-1<br />
                        AmpKit+ for iPad<br />

Comment

Looks like it takes a max of 2GB of RAM. Get that, find a DAW that does an efficient job with track freezing, and you should be on your way. I would recommend Reaper, because in my experience it's lightweight, and works well on older machines.

Thanks man, appreciate it. Crucial.com says theres 3 types of T42, does it matter which I have cos I dont have a clue...next thing is, I'm in the UK so ordering from the US may not be the best option right? Where will I get the upgrade and will I need someone clued up to install it?

Comment

Thanks man, appreciate it. Crucial.com says theres 3 types of T42, does it matter which I have cos I dont have a clue...next thing is, I'm in the UK so ordering from the US may not be the best option right? Where will I get the upgrade and will I need someone clued up to install it?

You should still be able to get Crucial memory in the UK (I think), so just use the configurator to get the right part numbers, and order locally.

The type of T42 will be on the bottom of the laptop, near the serial #. I don't know your level of computer hardware skill, but the Thinkpads have always been pretty easy to replace RAM in, IMO.
                            <br />
                            <br />
                            Ibanez JS2000<br />
                            Ibanez SC420<br />
                            Seagull S6<br />
                            <br />
                            Palmer PDI-09<br />
                            L6 Echo Park<br />
                            Boss chorus<br />
                            Boss SD-1<br />
                            AmpKit+ for iPad<br />

Comment

My level of computer hardware skill is low. No, thats dishonest, it is non-existent. To be honest I know enough to get by on day to day stuff on computers in general but thats it. A very basic knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                              X