Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

EQing, Mastering help needed

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQing, Mastering help needed

I've tracked a few songs with Pro Tools and have exhausted the EQuing potential of my poorly insulated room and need outside help. How do you recommend I go about this? It's an atmospheric rock project. I live in Philadelphia.

how did you exhaust the EQuing potential in ProTools ?

Comment

how did you exhaust the EQuing potential in ProTools ?

Pro Tools is not the problem, it is my playback room. It's a 600 square foot brick room with no sound insulation. Just when I think I've achieved a decent eq mix, playback on other sound systems (home stereo, car stereo) sounds muddy. I think I need a proper playback room. I have the interest and initiative to do all the post production myself but I think my playback room is holding me back

Comment

Pro Tools is not the problem, it is my playback room. It's a 600 square foot brick room with no sound insulation. Just when I think I've achieved a decent eq mix, playback on other sound systems (home stereo, car stereo) sounds muddy. I think I need a proper playback room. I have the interest and initiative to do all the post production myself but I think my playback room is holding me back

what you possibly mean is you need a better recording room

Comment

what you possibly mean is you need a better recording room

My monitoring room is my recording room actually. I track and mix in the same room. It is possible that my recording environment is not ideal, but my central issue in trying to produce a distributable mix is that my mixes are not sounding the same on alternative sound sources as they are through my monitors at my mixing station. This is why I think it may be best to find a studio with proper mixing facilities so that I can maximize the potential of my recording.

Comment

600 square foot is quite big. My room I mix in is half the size of yours. All brick walls is maybe good for a good natural ambience for drums and vocals. If you don't mix very loud, the room reflections have less influenece on your listening, respectively the direct sound from the speakers are dominant.

So I assume the problem are your monitors which do not to show you a reliable sonic image, and then when play your mixes back on other loudspeakers it sound totally diff'rent then what you memorized during mixing.

Comment

600 square foot is quite big. My room I mix in is half the size of yours. All brick walls is maybe good for a good natural ambience for drums and vocals. If you don't mix very loud, the room reflections have less influenece on your listening, respectively the direct sound from the speakers are dominant.

So I assume the problem are your monitors which do not to show you a reliable sonic image, and then when play your mixes back on other loudspeakers it sound totally diff'rent then what you memorized during mixing.

I have Adam A7's. Decent monitors, right?

Comment

Anyway, if I were to outsource for mastering and perhaps some mixing (in my area or someone at a distance), can anyone recommend a good place to look into? Any tips on how to weed out low quality places and find a good one. I know no one.

Comment

I have Adam A7's. Decent monitors, right?

yes, I would say so

I just looked at chris carter's website, he mixes for a very decent price

www.feistychicken.com

Comment

How does this person appear to you? http://www.fullcirclemastering.com/

Any red flags you notice with equipment he uses or anything?

Comment

- has no STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
                      - faceless website, no picture of the mastering engineers
                      - uses obscure tools
                      - extremly low price per song
                      - lists analog/digital converters but no tape machines
                      - long list of clients I never heard of

Is very likely a hobbyist trying to make some cash.

Have one song mastered for $40, then you can hear.

Comment

are you on Windows? ---> then I give you a professional mastering grade EQ, and you can try yourself what can be done

Comment

If you suspect the mix is not what it should be, I would not send it mastering yet with the expectations that mastering will fix the problems. You might try moving your mix position in the room further from the walls and giving it another shot. Your monitors are pretty good, and your room is quite big.

Comment

If you suspect the mix is not what it should be, I would not send it mastering yet with the expectations that mastering will fix the problems. You might try moving your mix position in the room further from the walls and giving it another shot. Your monitors are pretty good, and your room is quite big.

How will pulling the monitors from the wall help? Less reflection? I currently have them against the wall on the long side of the room.

Comment

How will pulling the monitors from the wall help? Less reflection? I currently have them against the wall on the long side of the room.

It deals with bass reproduction. Speakers should not be placed in a corner and pulled out appox 1/3 into the room for best sound reproduction.

Comment

Working...
                              X