Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automation question (Cubase 5)

I am pretty far along mixing this song, and I've done a fair bit of volume automation to probably 70% of the tracks.

My problem is that I need to collectively drop the faders down on all tracks to get my total mix volume down about -4db on my master fader in preparation for exporting (and then to mastering).

Are there any ways to keep the automation intact and also drop the volume of all the tracks?

Thanks.
    M-Audio ProFire2626Cubase 5Izotope Ozone 52.8GHZ Quad Core Intel Processor4GB RAMKRK VXT-4 Monitorswww.tempul.com

i don`t know if you can collectivly, on all automated tracks alone, at once .thats something i have wanted to do in the past also .
    you can bring up or reduce the input gain of a track , with the gain control at the top of each track if you need alter a volume , press shift key and alter input gain with mouse.
    another way round put all the automated tracks through a group track (bus) and drop it 4db
    Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Not sure what you're doing here. To me, "exporting" means you're exporting the individual tracks, in which case the automation would be lost. But I guess what you want is to lower the level of the summed stereo mix.

Although you would never do this in the analog world, lowering the master fader in a modern DAW is a viable option. Mathematically, it should have the same effect on the mix as lowering all of the track faders.

If you don't want to do that, look to see if Cubase has an automation trim mode. Automation trim changes the level of automation in a way that all of the relative levels are maintained. There must be a way to group the tracks and do them all at the same time. It could change the way any plug-ins interact with the tracks depending on whether they are pre or post fader inserts.

Comment

Not sure what you're doing here. To me, "exporting" means you're exporting the individual tracks, in which case the automation would be lost. But I guess what you want is to lower the level of the summed stereo mix.

Although you would never do this in the analog world, lowering the master fader in a modern DAW is a viable option. Mathematically, it should have the same effect on the mix as lowering all of the track faders.

If you don't want to do that, look to see if Cubase has an automation trim mode. Automation trim changes the level of automation in a way that all of the relative levels are maintained. There must be a way to group the tracks and do them all at the same time. It could change the way any plug-ins interact with the tracks depending on whether they are pre or post fader inserts.
        that is what it is called in cubase "export audio mixdown". an automation trim mode would be a good idea ,maybe it does it i don`t know , cubase does so many things .
        Consternoon Aftable

Comment

1) Take the master fader back by 4 dB. Sound exactly the same as taking back all individual fader.

2) Leave it as is and put a limiter on the master fader, but a good one. That's how I do it most often.

3) Do it as above mentioned, make groups and take the group fader/s 4 dB back. I group everything, or it would be impossible to work.

Comment

I use Cubase 6.5whatever. I am not sure if there is a way to link just the fader automation for every single channel and trim it all down in an easy manner.

Honestly, I've never bothered to explore the trim automation functions in Cubase. If I need to trim one fader down, I'll just isnert Sonalksis freeG in the last pre-fader slot and pull that down. If you don't have a lot of tracks, that's one solution by doing it on every single channel.

That said, the easiest thing to do is to just pull down your master fader 4dB. It should really do anything at all to your mix. That said, better gain structuring on the channels, particularly pre-fader, will yield a better sounding mix than pulling down the master fader, but you've already set your pre-fader gain structuring so it will make no difference for this song. But in the future, gain structure your tracks a little better so that you don't run into this problem and you'll notice that your mixes subtly better as well.
            Chris 'Von Pimpenstein' CarterMixer | ProducerThree international #1 hit radio singlesMe: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducerNEW MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $300 (temporary price), Budget $250, Promo $49-$99

Comment

4)

- Select mixer window
              - Select as many fader you want to trim down
              - Activate "Link Channels"
              - Pull one fader down, all other will follow

Comment

5)

- In project window right click: "Show All Used Automation"

a) Select 1st track's Volume automation > all data light red > scroll down the Value > and all automation data of the 1st track follow linear

b) Repeat a) for all tracks.

Comment

If there is nothing on your master buss then lowering the master fader is fine as an alternative.
                  www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

that you can't lower all volume automation at once is a missing feature in Cubase and Nuendo

Comment

Fade the master bus or you can simply use an envelope tool
                      in the wave view. Select all tracks, hilight where you want the fade, then apply
                      the envelope there. You can have it fade down about 4db or all the way out if needed.
                      Just be sure to save the project with a new name or the envelope will be perminantly saved
                      with the original song.

You can also do this after you mixdown. Just pull the song onto an audio editor and apply the envelope
                      to have it drop down.

I find using an envelope over automation more accurate. First my latency is set high so any fading I do with sliders
                      has a slight time delay so automation based on what I'm hearing isnt realy accurate. Second, using an envelope,
                      you can expand the time on the track so I'm actually seeing the transients and write the fades in exactly where I
                      need them.

I'll often do this with lead solos, cutting the guitar down when the vocals are going. The letting the part come all the
                      way up during leads. Its especially useful in blues type songs where the lead echos the vocal part and you have a lead riff
                      between vocal lines. You can also trim parts out smoothly and completely if needed, smooth attacks, create silence
                      between sections, stuff like that. It can become tedious if the music comples and it requires allot of edits.
                      You may be better off using a gate in those cases. I used to use it allot on my drummers mic where he'd
                      get bleedover from the drums singing. I'd go in and surgically cut the noise out between his words on a live recording.

Comment

Dear forumites,

In Papua New Guinea they mix and fix differently. See also post above.

Comment

Working...
                        X