Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording guitar for use in a random exercise generator?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording guitar for use in a random exercise generator?

First of all, I have no clue where to post this so I apologize in advance if I was way off posting it in the recording section.

I'm programming a randomized exercise generator for the guitar and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to incorporate sound into the exercise generator. Normally I wouldn't have such a hard time figuring this out, but the generated exercise is completely randomized depending on what technique(s) you want to practice. I wanted to put sound with the generated exercise just in case the user needs to hear how it is played if they're having trouble with it.

The only way I can think of to incorporate sound into this is by recording each individual note on the fretboard articulated each individual way and that is almost a little too tedious and I'll only do it if I have to. Is there an easier way to accurately sample or record the guitar or am I going to have to bite my lip and record each note with each technique? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

how do you know what chord is next when all is randomized in your guitar generator?

Comment

how do you know what chord is next when all is randomized in your guitar generator?

Because it will show it on the screen after you generate the exercise. Keep in mind that this program is really only meant to help you improve your usage of technique (such as bends, slides, and trills to name a few) and it's not really meant for chords. That may change as my program gets more mature.

Comment

so once a training track is generated, then the song form with its chord symbols are visuals, then you hit the start button and you rehears whatever guitar articulation?

does the program generate a list of guitar articulations and plays those articulations, or is the guitarist playing to the generated track?

what does the program generate, chords, rhythm guitar, soloes, or what kind of guitaristic articulations?

Comment

so once a training track is generated, then the song form with its chord symbols are visuals, then you hit the start button and you rehears whatever guitar articulation?

does the program generate a list of guitar articulations and plays those articulations, or is the guitarist playing to the generated track?

what does the program generate, chords, rhythm guitar, soloes, or what kind of guitaristic articulations?

Sorry I should've been more detailed in my answer. That's my fault. The whole point of integrating audio in with the generated exercise is more of a precautionary measure just in case you need to hear how it is played if you're stuck. I for one am thankful for being able to hear how something is played if I'm stuck on learning that. Not only are you able to hear exactly how it's supposed to be played, but it's more training for your ear.

Basically you choose from a list of techniques you want to practice and it generates a measure or two (maybe longer) based off of your choices. You have little control over what is generated. I'm more than likely going to incorporate generated exercises on a single string(s) (which you have control over which strings) but right now I'm focusing on programming a functional working concept.

For now the program will generate all of the techniques (articulation) applicable to the guitar. I plan on integrating more but right now I feel it is wiser to focus on one important thing at a time.

Comment

I have no clue how big the demand is for programs of that kind, but I often used programs which generate a rhythm section with a bassline, drums or chords, and then worked out some arrangement details, or what has to be played by the piano and guitar

nowadays I don't use any of this programs anymore, but make the arrangement right away

Comment

Just thought I'd say that I've decided to do it the long way and record each note on the guitar articulated each way. Thanks anyway guys.

Comment

Working...
              X