X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many hard drives in a daw pc ?

hi there i have read things on here before about people using 3 hard drives in the pc they have their daw installed on. one hard drive for the os system and the daw program ...... one for the audio and am i right in saying samples for the third hard drive .what are the advantages doing it this way? thanks.
    Consternoon Aftable

4 inside, 2 outside.

system drive
    recordings drive
    samples drive
    backup drive

external project backup drive
    external system backup drive
    www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

i'm more budget-minded... daw program and system on the C drive, storage on the D drive, and a USB backup drive.
      Maarkr HW: Privia Pro PX-5S, Casio XW-P1, Juno-G, Lucina... Epiphone Les Paul, Schecter Hellraiser C-1, Peavey Valve King 112, Mesa Boogie 2x12, Ovation Celebrity, Ibanez Gio Bass... Alesis D5 EDrums, Yamaha HS-80s w sub, Saffire Pro 24 thru Mackie Big Knob; Live: Behringer B315D, Peavey PV118D, Roland KC550, Zoom R-16...etc. SW: Reason 6, Sonar X3, Reaper, Acid Pro, IKMultimedia , UAD1...

Comment

I tried to keep LIVE on a seperate drive for a minute. It really didn't like not being on the C: drive
        Now : C: (SDD 64gb)has WIN7, LIVE and a few apps, E: (1tb HDD) has projects, samples, pictures, etc with an outboard-mounted F: (500md HDD)backing-up both

best of luck
        an expert on what it feels like to be me
        & you are who you google
        http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

thanks for your replys ,i gonna add a third hard drive for samples i think ,it`s just powering it up i suppose that has me wondering , i have 2 dvd drives and 2 hard drives in there already , does it not matter where you take a feed from inside the pc ? ta
          Consternoon Aftable

Comment

I try to connec as many internal drives as possible.
            They are faster than any communication port you may have.
            Communication ports like USB or firewire drives are fine for backing up
            info, but I wouldnt want to try to read or write info real time from them tracking.
            Youcould probibly do it but i dont need to deal with dropouts while the CPU is
            negotiating with another priority. Only limitations on internal drives is SATA connections
            and space. In my current box, there was only mounts for two drives. I got around the problem
            using velcro and mounting two more drives to the bottom case. Wonderful thing that velcro.

Comment

I try to connec as many internal drives as possible.
              They are faster than any communication port you may have.
              Communication ports like USB or firewire drives are fine for backing up
              info, but I wouldnt want to try to read or write info real time from them tracking.
              Youcould probibly do it but i dont need to deal with dropouts while the CPU is
              negotiating with another priority. Only limitations on internal drives is SATA connections
              and space. In my current box, there was only mounts for two drives. I got around the problem
              using velcro and mounting two more drives to the bottom case. Wonderful thing that velcro.
              inside my pc there are mountings for about 7 hard drives , there are 6 sata connections .............. i use a pci soundcard in that particular pc ........... i also have a usb sound card i use on a different pc for fun or on a laptop if i am away for a while , i know what you mean about the instability of a usb soundcard ,mine is very erratic as regards latency , i can`t realy get anything serious done .
              Consternoon Aftable

Comment

internal 6 hard drives

external 5 always cionnected

Comment

A few sound libraries are on the (C drive. Doesn't really matter with nowadays CPU, at least not for productions which have less then lets say 50 tracks to mix and all get processed in realtime ---> no pre-mixing.

When you mix more then 100 tracks, then you need to sync two computers.

Comment

Working...
                  X