Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop music production?

I'm starting to think it's the gear, not the performance when hearing pop music. I've been listening to some NSYNC and The Cheetah Girls and the vocals just sound so polished and perfect, almost like a machine did the vocals. There are 5 guys in NSYNC, yet the vocals does not sound like 5 of them are singing, but only 1 lead vocalist (are they pulling off a Milli Vanilli here)? Now with Linkin Park, I hear there are 2 vocalists.

Does the vocal part usually get run back into the vocal effect to tweak it, then dumped back into the recorder, if this is possible? I have a TC Helicon Voiceworks and I have yet to play with it on what it can do.

My understanding of MIDI is basic. I know how to control a synth with a MIDI guitar, etc. Here's what I think can be done with the Voiceworks; I sing using it as my vocal processor, recording dry so this way I can change/add the effects. Once the vocal takes have been recorded into the recorder I can then run the recorded vocals back into the Voiceworks for tweaking and pitch corrections and effects then dumped back into the recorder, all polished up and perfect. Is this not how it works? I have used MIDI in and out, but never understood the function of MIDI thru.

MSYNC are five guys singing.

The producer may corrected all five vocals tracks to the point that they only differ in timbre, but the timing and intonation is nearly 100% equal of all five. You can do that with Celemony.

But you should still hear five singers, or at least a chorus effect, a chorus effect in the sense that tiny intonation imperfections make a chorus effect similar when five violinists play the same melody. Making five singer sound 100% like one, makes no sense, you could do that to with Celemony, at least theoritically.

Comment

you have four friend with this singing quality of yours to found a boygroup?

Comment

Nearly every studio uses Auto Tune which corrects pitch variances.
        There is a certain amount that can be used live as well.
        you can also use harmonizers or add aditional tracks recording
        and pick and choose what words of that track wille used cutting an pasting
        parts together till you have a nearly flawless recording.

reproducing what you hear on a recording live is a whole differen ball game.
        If the peoples talent isnt there live, the audiance will surely be dissapointed..
        If they try to lip sync it, its even a bigger cheat to the public, at least it is in my book.
        I'm not against using some canned samples triggered for a live event like in the case
        of a keyboard player using his bag o tricks, but as a musician, I want to see people perform,
        Not what they can build note for note in a computer. Any jackass with some musical education
        can do that.

Comment

the audiences are not musicians - audiences want to have fun - doesn't matter to them when all is autotuned and comes from a laptop

today all is designed in pop

the natural stuff doesn't exist anymore on the market, and if it would exist nobody would buy it

Comment

sadly pop music artists are lip singers, especially the boy bands or tween pop. That whole thing about "DJ" artists with just putting on an LP onto a turntable shouldn't even be called live, as much as I like "DJ" type of music. There may be slight differences in presentation of their songs due to knob movements, but in my book moving knobs up or down isn't really live. Something about rock and metal bands that is still powerful as they do still actually play live.

Nearly every studio uses Auto Tune which corrects pitch variances.
            There is a certain amount that can be used live as well.
            you can also use harmonizers or add aditional tracks recording
            and pick and choose what words of that track wille used cutting an pasting
            parts together till you have a nearly flawless recording.

reproducing what you hear on a recording live is a whole differen ball game.
            If the peoples talent isnt there live, the audiance will surely be dissapointed..
            If they try to lip sync it, its even a bigger cheat to the public, at least it is in my book.
            I'm not against using some canned samples triggered for a live event like in the case
            of a keyboard player using his bag o tricks, but as a musician, I want to see people perform,
            Not what they can build note for note in a computer. Any jackass with some musical education
            can do that.

Comment

sadly pop music artists are lip singers, especially the boy bands or tween pop. That whole thing about "DJ" artists with just putting on an LP onto a turntable shouldn't even be called live, as much as I like "DJ" type of music. There may be slight differences in presentation of their songs due to knob movements, but in my book moving knobs up or down isn't really live. Something about rock and metal bands that is still powerful as they do still actually play live.

Robotics is a very old art form, older than recordings. Many see it as a new art form but its roots date back
              far longer than most realize. Simple music boxes date back to ancient Greeks if I remember right. A music box is
              a mechanical sequencer. So is a player piano. The artwork is in the sequencing. Hearing the playback becomes dull
              in short order. Modern DAWs can be interacted with through controllers and whatever sequence is pre planned can
              be accessed live.

I've seen very good artists like Todd Rundgren do a whole show with computer backup, but at least
              he was a great musician who sang, played guitar and keyboards live. I'd prefer to see actual musicians play than
              listen to a sequencer or recording any day. A person can interact with a computer as an instrument but the computer
              cannot interact with people the way other people can with each other so the emotional element just doesnt exhist
              in the music. Without that and its human flaws I find electronica music and lip syncing as boaring as it gets.

Comment

Any and every thing is and can be used in the studio, so who cares how anything is created?,
                that's not the point...
                Live is all you need to worry about, how to get "that sound" if that's your thing...
                like practicing and arranging songs to perfection.

Comment

BTW, WTF is PoP?
                  It means a thousand different things to a thousand times as many people.

Comment

Working...
                  X