X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Sessions

I use protools with a macbook pro. Even with my 4 gig upgrade storage space is minimal as I've learned seeing that my hard drive is nearly maxed after just 3 projects. Understand I use the macbook for general use being that it is my only computer. I back up my entire hard drive to a "WD" brand external hard drive after session work.

My question is, is this the safest way to store my sessions? Are some external hard drives more secure than others?

What do you recommend?

How many songs in each project?

I just write a DVD-R of each song, at the end of each session, for paying clients. I check it and then file it away.

Never had a problem, but physically re-opening the session from the DVD is crucial, every once in a while you'll get one that doesn't write correctly.
    "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

I just write a DVD-R of each song, at the end of each session, for paying clients. I check it and then file it away.

Never had a problem, but physically re-opening the session from the DVD is crucial, every once in a while you'll get one that doesn't write correctly.
      "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGifford-1
        View Post

1 song for each project. I think I will be forced to clear my laptops hard drive when i near my max, that's why I'm looking for the best storage method for each song. You're suggesting a cd? Is that not a bit fragile to be keeping my sessions on? I don't mean a mixed down stereo file, I mean the entire pro tools project itself.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by D
          View Post

1 song for each project. I think I will be forced to clear my laptops hard drive when i near my max, that's why I'm looking for the best storage method for each song. You're suggesting a cd? Is that not a bit fragile to be keeping my sessions on? I don't mean a mixed down stereo file, I mean the entire pro tools project itself.

We used CD-R's for years - very robust. Much more so than a HD, IMHO.

Now we use DVD-R's, and have had no problems.

You should be OK backing up to an external drive, tho.

MG
          "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

View Post

Even with my 4 gig upgrade storage space is minimal

Either you got your units of measurement wrong (did you mean Terabyte instead of Gigabyte?), or you're confusing two different types of computer memory. "4 gigs" would be what's called "main memory" or "RAM" - it's a type of volatile (i.e. non-permanent; it goes away when you turn the computer off), fast-access memory that the computer uses when performing the different tasks you ask of it. The other memory is the primary storage that's available on your hard drive. This is slower than main memory, but it's non-volatile and available in much larger quantities than main memory. These days, hard drives are generally measured in terabytes, not gigabytes (1TB = ~1000 GB), though some laptops still come with hard drives in the 500-750GB range.

If you got a 4GB memory upgrade, that would've been to your main memory/RAM, not to your storage capacity.

-Dan.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.</i></div>

Comment

View Post

My question is, is this the safest way to store my sessions? Are some external hard drives more secure than others?

What do you recommend?

If by "secure", you mean less likely to fail, not really. Some companies may have better or worse controller boards, but they all use drives from the same three hard drive manufacturers.

The way to go is to have at least two hard drives. If you currently have your projects on both your computer's drive and an external one, you're in good shape. If you want to free some space on the computer's drive, you need to make sure it exists in at least two other places or you risk losing it forever.

I do the same thing you do - back up after every session to an external drive, and I also have a second external drive for data that doesn't live on my computer.