X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• focusrite 2i2 or 2i4

I need some help deciding what I really need out of an audio interface. I just want to record guitar and vocal tracks so I was going to get the focusrite 2i2 but it does not have the midi input. My question is if in the future I get a midi controller would I still be able to use it via MIDI to usb converter to my computer? If that would work I really wouldnt need the 2i4. I am also open to suggestions on other interfaces but at the price im looking to spend the 2i2 I was told would be the best bet.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Good deals with - Jim Hunter, Hosebeast, Evoken13, ToonHallow</div>

Focusrite has good preamps so its a good choice for a beginner.

If you arent going to use a midi keyboard right away, I wouldnt worry about it.

You'll need the money you save for nearfield monitors for mixing and decent recording mics.

A controller is a luxary item you can worry about later. You can do everything a controller does

with a mouse and keyboard.

You'll likey upgrde your interface to a multi channel interface where you can record a whole band at once

before you ever worry about a controller. They are nice to have if you mix full time. they give you that hands one experience

for adjusting the mix, but you have to have mixes worth that kind of attention first.

I'd say maybe 5 years of agressive solo recording may get you to the point where a luxary item can be useful.

For now just worry about focusing on getting the basic tools and learning how to use them well.

All items are important. Recording is a chain of events and the weakest item in a chain can become a bottleneck.

Any budget interface will record 24 bit these days and do a good job tracking.

You can even get pretty good frequency responce out of most budget mic.

When it comes to mixing, Monitors are the most critical item on the list next to having trained ears.

If you cant clearly hear what you record its impossible to mix a good recording. The monitors are also

the driving factor for the improvements and tweaks you make in your recording chain beginning

at the sound source and performer through the mic, interface DAW program tweals and effects used mixing.

If you monitors suck or you try and use headphones to mix, everything in the chain is improperly colored.

Monitors are designed to bring out the highest details in a mix so you hear the tracking flaws and correct them.

They have a flat response so you get all the tracks EQed properly. An analogy would be someone doing digital artwork on

a great computer with great programs to enhance the images. If they use a crappy old CRT monitor thats image is blurry

and the colors arent correct, they cant do the artwork because they can never see the image clearly. Same thing goes for

nearfields except you're dealing with blurry/altered sound.

If the monitors are better than anything you'd ever listen to the music play back on then the mixing will be a step above anything you play it back on.

Unfortunately recording monitors are not cheap. Mediochre monitors are in the $500 range. Even a cheap $150 pair will cost more than a budget interface

so save your money for a decent pair and you'll have some decent mixes created with them.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by WRGKMC
      View Post

Focusrite has good preamps so...

Thanks for the info WRG! Do you have any suggestions for monitors in the 300$ range? That was the next item on my list right now I'm using my sennhiser hd280's I've had forever. I've been eying m-audio av40 or behringer 1030a's
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Good deals with - Jim Hunter, Hosebeast, Evoken13, ToonHallow</div>

Comment

^^^ Cant really advise you there other than to google up reviews on them

by people who have them. You may want to check Yamaha or KRK. the Yamaha might be a step

above the M-Audio or Behringer. Also check EBay for used gear. Got to be careful though.

You dont want someone elses blown gear.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by WRGKMC
          View Post

^^^ Cant really advise you there other than to google up reviews on them

by people who have them. You may want to check Yamaha or KRK. the Yamaha might be a step

above the M-Audio or Behringer. Also check EBay for used gear. Got to be careful though.

You dont want someone elses blown gear.

Yamaha and roland stuff usually is better than the others in the lower price points will check it out! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X